Re: Wicker chainring guards

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [email protected], Aug 5, 2004.

  1. Danny Colyer wrote:
    > I've just seen this on the BHPC mailing list. I think it's the same

    guy
    > whose wicker fairing was recently featured in Velovision. Looks
    > interesting:
    >
    > "A little while ago there was a discussion about chainring guards.

    Lots
    > of people wanted them, apparently. I made a wicker one for my

    daughter's
    > bike, and am quite happy to make more for others if they want them.

    They
    > are not a huge amount of work, so I think a fiver a time is enough

    for
    > them, and for the weight conscious, they come out at around 60g a

    piece.
    > This must be just about the cheapest and lightest available (cut down
    > frisbees possibly excepted)..."
    >
    > "Details are here:
    > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hembrow/chainringguard.html "

    Hi there.

    Forgive me for my ignoance of all things recumbant, but isn't the
    chainring guard in the first picture above mounted on the *wrong* side
    of the chainring? Or is it just to prevent injury when crashing into
    someone in front?

    Also, would a wicker fairing have a smooth enough surface to encourage
    laminar air flow?

    Cheers, Andy

    www.stirling-tri.co.uk

    Tags:

  2. andhar

    andhar New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2003
    Most European recumbent races require a chain guard for protection in crashes. Just been made compulsory for BHPC races this season.

  3. [email protected] wrote:

    > Forgive me for my ignoance of all things recumbant, but isn't the
    > chainring guard in the first picture above mounted on the *wrong* side
    > of the chainring? Or is it just to prevent injury when crashing into
    > someone in front?

    The latter.

    > Also, would a wicker fairing have a smooth enough surface to encourage
    > laminar air flow?

    Emphatically not. If you want laminar flow you'd be better off with one of
    these:

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/