Re: Winter riding - Clinchers or tubulars ?

John Forrest Tomlinson

Guest
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 17:51:01 GMT, Retro Bob <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Ok... I an NOT looking to start another clincher vs. tubular argument.
>This is a "winter performance" question between _two_ dated
>technologies :)
>
>I am going to convert one of my bikes to a slop handling winter
>machine. I ride in New England where the road may be very messy in
>the Winter. I intend to stay out of snow and off ice, but there will
>be a lot of days with slush, muck, etc since I live in the burbs where
>melting can be slow.
>
>I have a vintage 27" bike which runs tubulars. My first choice is to
>by some cyclocross tubulars. But, this bike will also run 27x1 1/4
>(or 1/8) clinchers. Factory option. So, I was thinking that a set of
>those old heavily grooved lower pressure 27" clinchers might be a
>good choice. Sort of like the (automobile) snow tire idea. I don't
>care if the clinchers slow me down, I'm riding for exercise, not
>time, not going anywhere in particular. The only thing I really care
>about is traction.
>
>Opinions ?

If you are not actively seeking out snow and ice, then knobbed tires
don't make sense -- I think those would have less traction on slippery
asphalt than a road tread.

I would be loathe to change a tubular on a road covered with snow melt
and **** as I doubt it would stick well. And if you gluing them on
correctly in the first place it's going to be horrible getting them
off in cold weather -- be sure to pack something like a blunt butter
knife to help with removal.

I think clinchers make much more sense -- get some that are not too
tight as you don't want to be fighting to get the tire on and off
while cold outside. In fact, the key thing is to get a durable tire,
in good condition, and probably use tire liners like Mr. Tuffies too
as insurance. Flatting in winter sucks.

JT

Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com