Re: Winter Riding

Tom Sherman

Guest
[email protected]m wrote:
> In message <[email protected]>
> "Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Although I am still
>> trying to figure out a good way to keep the toes warm.

> A fairing?
>
> Individual foot-fairings hand-crafted out of a milk container?
>
> And lined with silvered foil?

Insulated foot fairings would be an option on a trike, since there is no
real need for rapidly removing ones feet from the pedals.

POST FREE OR DIE!

> >> Although I am still
> >> trying to figure out a good way to keep the toes warm.

> > A fairing?

> > Individual foot-fairings hand-crafted out of a milk container?

> > And lined with silvered foil?

> Insulated foot fairings would be an option on a trike, since there is no
> real need for rapidly removing ones feet from the pedals.

Walking boots, woolly socks and gaiters.

Duncan

Duncan Smith wrote:
>>> A fairing?
>>> Individual foot-fairings hand-crafted out of a milk container?
>>> And lined with silvered foil?

>> Insulated foot fairings would be an option on a trike, since there is no
>> real need for rapidly removing ones feet from the pedals.
>>

> Walking boots, woolly socks and gaiters.

The problem is combining such footwear with a foot retention system.
Extra long Power Grips or heel slings are possibilities.

POST FREE OR DIE!

For the last 10 years when it gets cold in the winter here, as it is
starting to now, I wear heavy socks and waterproff walking boots with
BMX pedals in the winter. I find the lack of an attachment system (I
use SPDs otherwise) little or no handicap. Feet stay warm and seldom
get wet. I use mudguards of course

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>>>
>>> Walking boots, woolly socks and gaiters.

>> The problem is combining such footwear with a foot retention system. Extra
>> long Power Grips or heel slings are possibilities.

> Mr. Sherman should get acquainted with Minnesota. None of that sissy stuff
> works here. You have to wear the 100 degrees below zero clodhopper boots
> (overshoes) and "keep on trucking." Jeez, try to get real why don't you!

The average temperatures in "The Turkey Capital of the World" [1] are
not that severe:
<http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/56119?locid=56119>.

[1] Worthington redirects to Brewster, which is just a few miles to the
northeast.

POST FREE OR DIE!

On Dec 23, 4:58 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> >> Insulated foot fairings would be an option on a trike, since there is no
> >> real need for rapidly removing ones feet from the pedals.

> > Walking boots, woolly socks and gaiters.

> The problem is combining such footwear with a foot retention system.
> Extra long Power Grips or heel slings are possibilities.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> POST FREE OR DIE!

Indeed, XL Powergrips are what I have fitted, although after super-
glueing the gaiters to the boots, I have to have the grips so loose to
get the boot in, that they're effectively not really providing much
'pull-up'. I suspect I wouldn't notice too much if I took Gary's
approach and went without. Although I suspose they still stop your
feet from slipping out which isn't such a bad thing for a fixie...

The dual-pupose cage/cleat pedals that Shimano do are pretty good, as
on a reasonably dry and warmer day, you can still stick your SPD boots
on.