Re.: Winter Skills for walkers - sugested provider

SteveO

Guest
'lo all

Although this is a new thread I've titled it "Re.:" 'cos its a
follow-up to an earlier one but I can't recall the name of it ;-)

Peewiglet (who seems to have gone into hiding since it was suggested
she was in front running for Head of Stats next time they come out ;-)
brought up the question of a winter skills course for walkers... and,
as I recall, there were quite a few interested parties.

A few places for poss venues were mentioned, Scotland for a weekend's
instruction, I think seemed the more likely option.

Anyway, to cut to the chase - my club had a slideshow last night from
a guy called Scott Muir who is well into his winter climbing
(excellent slides and video btw). Scott mentioned that he used to
guide but now concentrates on his competition climbing but he came
across as a very down-to-earth guy, one who you could trust for good
beta (as it were) so I asked him after the talk if there was anyone he
could recommend for an intro winter walkers skills course.

He mentioned a guy he used to work with at Glenmore Lodge; Stuart
Johnson of http://climbmts.co.uk/ : "Winter Hillwalking" sounds about
right -

"We take you to some of the most exciting summits in Scotland, and
instruct you in important winter skills. You’ll learn how to calculate
risk, and make good decisions based on the right attitude, equipment
and abilities. We’ll look at planning and preparation, navigation,
mountain weather, avalanche avoidance, winter equipment, emergency
shelters, cramponing, using the boot as a tool, and ice-axe arrest.
Above all, you’ll enjoy some great days out in the winter mountains."

Hmm, I mention the above just to try and help out, usual disclaimers
about no personal interests apply ;-)

HTH

SteveO
--
NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

<SteveO> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> 'lo all
>
> Although this is a new thread I've titled it "Re.:" 'cos its a
> follow-up to an earlier one but I can't recall the name of it ;-)
>
> Peewiglet (who seems to have gone into hiding since it was suggested
> she was in front running for Head of Stats next time they come out ;-)
> brought up the question of a winter skills course for walkers... and,
> as I recall, there were quite a few interested parties.
>

> A few places for poss venues were mentioned, Scotland for a weekend's
> instruction, I think seemed the more likely option.
>
> Anyway, to cut to the chase - my club had a slideshow last night from
> a guy called Scott Muir who is well into his winter climbing
> (excellent slides and video btw). Scott mentioned that he used to
> guide but now concentrates on his competition climbing but he came
> across as a very down-to-earth guy, one who you could trust for good
> beta (as it were) so I asked him after the talk if there was anyone he
> could recommend for an intro winter walkers skills course.
>
> He mentioned a guy he used to work with at Glenmore Lodge; Stuart
> Johnson of http://climbmts.co.uk/ : "Winter Hillwalking" sounds about
> right -

I have been on a day out in Glencoe with this chap, who was excellent:

http://www.mountainmotion.co.uk/

Here's the pics of the day out

http://www.mannix.org.uk/bob/glenc.htm

Usual disclaimers (he was a friend of a friend of a friend)

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 15:32:46 +0000, SteveO wrote:

[...]
>He mentioned a guy he used to work with at Glenmore Lodge; Stuart
>Johnson of http://climbmts.co.uk/ : "Winter Hillwalking" sounds about
>right -

[...]

Thanks for the info, Steve.

I've just taken a look, but I see that the Winter Hillwalking course
is 5 days long, and £280. That would be a lot of fun, but I have the
impression from Glenmore Lodge and PyB that the essentials can
probably be covered in a couple of days, less expensively. Having said
that, the 5 day course with the bloke who was recommended to you is
significantly less expensive than the 5 day course at Glenmore Lodge.

I dunno what anyone else who expressed an interest thinks?

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 20:06:26 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 15:32:46 +0000, SteveO wrote:
>
>[...]
>>He mentioned a guy he used to work with at Glenmore Lodge; Stuart
>>Johnson of http://climbmts.co.uk/ : "Winter Hillwalking" sounds about
>>right -

>[...]
>
>Thanks for the info, Steve.

np :)

>I've just taken a look, but I see that the Winter Hillwalking course
>is 5 days long, and £280.

[..]

>I dunno what anyone else who expressed an interest thinks?

I would expect that with the numbers of folk who seemed to express an
actual interest in going ahead that you'd be able to approach him and
ask for a two-day / weekend provision.

It looks as if his instructor:student ration is a max of 1:6 ergo if
you fill a course for him then I might have thought he'd be happy to
accomodate your timescale.

Dunno, just a thought.

SteveO
--
NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 16:21:34 -0000, "Bob Mannix" <[email protected]>
wrote:

[...]
>I have been on a day out in Glencoe with this chap, who was excellent:
>
>http://www.mountainmotion.co.uk/

Many thanks for the info.

This is less expensive. For instance, there's a 3 day winter skills
course that works out at £105 each for 4 people. That sounds like good
value to me.

Again, what do those who expressed an interest think?

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 20:14:23 +0000, SteveO wrote:

[...]
>I would expect that with the numbers of folk who seemed to express an
>actual interest in going ahead that you'd be able to approach him and
>ask for a two-day / weekend provision.
>
>It looks as if his instructor:student ration is a max of 1:6 ergo if
>you fill a course for him then I might have thought he'd be happy to
>accomodate your timescale.
>
>Dunno, just a thought.

Good thinking, Batclimber :)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

In Article <[email protected]>,Peewiglet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>This is less expensive. For instance, there's a 3 day winter skills
>course that works out at £105 each for 4 people. That sounds like good
>value to me.
>
>Again, what do those who expressed an interest think?

I don't think you will get cheaper anywhere, the 6-7 hour drive is the only
downside for me. PYB one seems to be £170, but for 2 days and perhaps less
chance of snow, but I could be there in less than a couple of hours, which
is tempting.

Does that help?....... no, thought not.

Regards,
Richard G.

wrote:

>I dunno what anyone else who expressed an interest thinks?

I'm not sure I could last a five day course. After two days walking I
need to sleep for a day or two!

Two or three days would be good.

I'll get round to following the links during the weekend.

Judith

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 20:20:38 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>http://www.mountainmotion.co.uk/

>Many thanks for the info.
>
>This is less expensive. For instance, there's a 3 day winter skills
>course that works out at £105 each for 4 people. That sounds like good
>value to me.
>
>Again, what do those who expressed an interest think?

The Winter Walking Skills course would be my sort of level, I think.

We'd need to arrange accommodation as well, of course.

Judith

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 21:25:18 +0000, Richard G. <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I don't think you will get cheaper anywhere, the 6-7 hour drive is the only
>downside for me.

Oops, I hadn't even *thought* about getting there.

I suppose we may be able to arrange some sort of car sharing?

Judith

In Article <[email protected]>,Judith
<[email protected]> wrote:

>We'd need to arrange accommodation as well, of course.

Actually the PYB course at £170 includes accommodation.
I think on the whole this one would get my vote.

Regards,
Richard G.

In article <[email protected]>, Richard G.
<[email protected]> writes
>In Article <[email protected]>,Judith
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>We'd need to arrange accommodation as well, of course.

>Actually the PYB course at £170 includes accommodation.
>I think on the whole this one would get my vote.

The trouble with the courses in Wales is the unpredictable nature of the
conditions. If you are lucky it will be great but if not it could be far
less useful than a couple of days in the land o' haggis.

--

Dominic Sexton
http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:36:50 +0000, Dominic Sexton
<{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:

[...]
>>>We'd need to arrange accommodation as well, of course.

>>Actually the PYB course at £170 includes accommodation.
>>I think on the whole this one would get my vote.

>The trouble with the courses in Wales is the unpredictable nature of the
>conditions. If you are lucky it will be great but if not it could be far
>less useful than a couple of days in the land o' haggis.

That's how it's struck me too, having looked into it a bit. I'd hate
to get to the course and find that I wasn't able to practise any of
the skills I'd gone there to learn. It seems the best way of
minimising that risk is to book in Scotland, so that's where I'm
looking now, even though it's a bit of a faff to get to.

I see that the Glenmore Lodge weekends are £175, which includes food,
accomodation and almost all kit hire. I'm not sure we'd get a better
commercial deal than that, all things considered.

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

Peewiglet wrote:

> That's how it's struck me too, having looked into it a bit. I'd hate
> to get to the course and find that I wasn't able to practise any of
> the skills I'd gone there to learn. It seems the best way of
> minimising that risk is to book in Scotland, so that's where I'm
> looking now, even though it's a bit of a faff to get to.

You might consider flights (Aberdeen or Inverness are nearest) and then
it's not too long a train journey to Aviemore, and the Lodge isn't
/that/ far from town.

Scotland isn't always that hard to get to, depending on your air and
rail access. To get home from London I get on the Scot Airways flight
from London City and in about an hour and a half it drops me off 20
minutes walk from my front door...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

> Peewiglet wrote:
>
> > That's how it's struck me too, having looked into it a bit. I'd hate
> > to get to the course and find that I wasn't able to practise any of
> > the skills I'd gone there to learn. It seems the best way of
> > minimising that risk is to book in Scotland, so that's where I'm
> > looking now, even though it's a bit of a faff to get to.

> You might consider flights (Aberdeen or Inverness are nearest) and then
> it's not too long a train journey to Aviemore, and the Lodge isn't
> /that/ far from town.

Although my Glencoe suggestion is not the favourite, it seems, FWIW, we flew
up (cheap flight £37.50 return at the time) from Bristol to Glasgow and
rented cars from easyCar at Glasgow. At the time they were £65 for two days
and we had 3 in each of two cars. We flew at 16.50 from Bristol and arrived
at the Clachaig at 20.59 (they stopped serving food at 9.00pm and we drove a
"little" fast and just made it!).

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

In Article <[email protected]>,Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>You might consider flights (Aberdeen or Inverness are nearest) and then
>it's not too long a train journey to Aviemore, and the Lodge isn't
>/that/ far from town.

Trouble is that none of the cheap carriers fly from Manchester. Eastern
Airways is the only one I've found that fly from the North West/Midlands and
a return to Inverness is around £200.

There's always the Caledonian Sleeper I suppose from as little as £55 for a
7-day advance return (Crewe to Inverness) and airline seat only, which makes
for a couple of pretty uncomfortable nights!

Regards,
Richard G.

"Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:36:50 +0000, Dominic Sexton
> <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> [...]
> >>
> >>Actually the PYB course at £170 includes accommodation.
> >>I think on the whole this one would get my vote.

> >The trouble with the courses in Wales is the unpredictable nature of the
> >conditions. If you are lucky it will be great but if not it could be far
> >less useful than a couple of days in the land o' haggis.

> That's how it's struck me too, having looked into it a bit. I'd hate
> to get to the course and find that I wasn't able to practise any of
> the skills I'd gone there to learn. It seems the best way of
> minimising that risk is to book in Scotland, so that's where I'm
> looking now, even though it's a bit of a faff to get to.
>
> I see that the Glenmore Lodge weekends are £175, which includes food,
> accomodation and almost all kit hire. I'm not sure we'd get a better
> commercial deal than that, all things considered.

I could draw your attenton to
http://www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk/safety/winterskill.html
where you could obtain a discount on much the same course, even after
including MCofS membership (well worth it on its own of course....)

I would check course availability with the Lodge first though.

--
Duncan Gray

www.duncolm.co.uk
also The Mountaineering Council of Scotland
www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk

"Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:36:50 +0000, Dominic Sexton
> <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> [...]
> >>
> >>Actually the PYB course at £170 includes accommodation.
> >>I think on the whole this one would get my vote.

> >The trouble with the courses in Wales is the unpredictable nature of the
> >conditions. If you are lucky it will be great but if not it could be far
> >less useful than a couple of days in the land o' haggis.

> That's how it's struck me too, having looked into it a bit. I'd hate
> to get to the course and find that I wasn't able to practise any of
> the skills I'd gone there to learn. It seems the best way of
> minimising that risk is to book in Scotland, so that's where I'm
> looking now, even though it's a bit of a faff to get to.
>
> I see that the Glenmore Lodge weekends are £175, which includes food,
> accomodation and almost all kit hire. I'm not sure we'd get a better
> commercial deal than that, all things considered.

I could draw your attenton to
http://www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk/safety/winterskill.html
where you could obtain a discount on much the same course, even after
including MCofS membership (well worth it on its own of course....)

I would check course availability with the Lodge first though.

--
Duncan Gray

www.duncolm.co.uk
also The Mountaineering Council of Scotland
www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:57:07 -0000, "Bob Mannix"
<[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>Although my Glencoe suggestion is not the favourite, it seems,

I thought it sounded excellent, and v. good value, but unless we
decide to go to one of the mountain centres then we need to organise
accommodation and food separately, which is more expensive done that
way. I think that's the only issue.

>FWIW, we flew
>up (cheap flight £37.50 return at the time) from Bristol to Glasgow and
>rented cars from easyCar at Glasgow. At the time they were £65 for two days
>and we had 3 in each of two cars. We flew at 16.50 from Bristol and arrived
>at the Clachaig at 20.59 (they stopped serving food at 9.00pm and we drove a
>"little" fast and just made it!).

There's no doubt that cheap flights to Scotland can make an enormous
difference. I'd be looking at Manchester or L/pool, though, and I was
recently told it wasn't possible to get cheap Scottish flights from
there. I've not checked, though: could be wrong.

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~