Re: World's highest unicycle drop??

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Reeps, Oct 17, 2004.

  1. Reeps

    Reeps Guest

    Tags:

  2. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

  3. sabin_a.

    sabin_a. Guest

  4. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

  5. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    Sounds like you need to define your criteria for highest drop. Kris Holm
    dropped 14' or so onto sloped ground (fairly soft, I think). But he rode
    away. Do you have to ride away?

    So you could look at records for highest drop to:
    pavement
    sand
    level dirt
    sloped dirt
    sloped pavement
    water

    etc.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "It's good to find something that makes boys into men and men into boys,
    my opinion is that unicycling fits the bill." -- Lloyd Johnson

    "Read the rules!"
    'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
    'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)

  6. mgrant

    mgrant Guest

    Karl Thompson did a huge drop of the edge of a cliff into Lake Powell (I
    think). It had to be at least 40 feet.

    -mg

    --
    mgrant - Ever hoping for the best!

    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of
    breath, and one day closer to death.
    michael_j_grant (at) yahoo (dot) com
    Gallery: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Michael_Grant/
    mgrant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/440

  7. peter.bier

    peter.bier Guest

    Here is a slightly more detailed description of Kris' drop from another
    thread:

    Largest drop landed successfully: Kris Holm, 5 metres onto sand (16.5').
    4.26 (14') metres onto a trail (Lobotomizer drop, North Shore).

    --
    peter.bier - No time to ride :-(

    -Peter Bier

    peter.bier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1506

  8. dubmuni2004

    dubmuni2004 Guest

    peter.bier wrote:
    > *Here is a slightly more detailed description of Kris' drop from
    > another thread:
    >
    > Largest drop landed successfully: Kris Holm, 5 metres onto sand
    > (16.5'). 4.26 (14') metres onto a trail (Lobotomizer drop, North
    > Shore). *

    was that in U2?

    --
    dubmuni2004 - pimpin jibber

    threre is a place, a place far from here. where unicyclists and
    unicycles play and sing together. and where the big bad slurpee throwers
    are non-existant. and where unicycle=pimp. and where the trails thrive
    and live. -the place i go when i ride-

    [email protected]
    dubmuni2004's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5837

  9. nathan

    nathan Guest

    We should define terms. It seems to me that measuring unsuccessful drops
    like Yoggi's in Japan is not very interesting. Even though watching
    someone nearly make a 4m drop is very impressive, it's SUCCESS (riding
    away) that counts.

    ---Nathan

    --
    nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
    nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

  10. mz

    mz Guest

    Reeps wrote:
    > *Somebody who knows?? Have heard about 10 - 13 feet but i don't know
    > exactly!! World's highest drop?? *

    Given the amount of stress it places on the vertebrae at landing, I'll
    consider this as highly dangerous...

    --
    mz
    mz's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2041

  11. Zzagg

    Zzagg Guest

    > Given the amount of stress it places on the vertebrae at landing, I'll
    > consider this as highly dangerous...

    Maybe the clue is to wear a helmet and use the tire as an airbag :D

    --
    Zzagg - froggy uni

    _______________________________
    Riding day, dream away...
    Still riding, still dreaming.
    Zzagg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6847

  12. Reeps

    Reeps Guest

    I have dropped 2-3 meters to sloped mud and landed it easly, I only
    thought how high drops someone has courage to take and (of course) land
    (to sloped mud). Bought a KH24 yesterday and are going to try breaking
    my own record at dropping. That's the meaning of unicycling anyway,
    ride as hard as you can and have fun... Next time ride even harder and
    make it funnier :p

    --
    Reeps
    Reeps's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8225

  13. mz

    mz Guest

  14. harper

    harper Guest

    I think the world's highest drop might be the crash of Sky Lab.

    --
    harper - Fountainhead

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    "You go through life and you choose." - Greg Harper

    "Find weak people and take stuff from them" - Greg Harper

  15. tadaniels

    tadaniels Guest

  16. zach_jucha

    zach_jucha Guest

  17. tuna6869

    tuna6869 Guest

    I believe there was a guy (or two) that dropped out of an airplane with
    a uni strapped to him and he landed it (with a parachute of course) so
    that'd be the highest drop onto grass.

    My friend jumped off a bridge into a river about 30-40 feet high with a
    uni tied to him and there's a video somewhere of it. It was pretty cool.

    I saw Yoggi from France attempt to do about a 13 foot drop (give or take
    a foot) onto a tire thingy, but after 4 attempts he bent his crank and
    wheel, but it was very impressive and fun to watch. I took some pictures
    and here is one of them.

    | Attachment filename: yoggi's 12 foot drop.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/241766|

    tuna6869 - Unicycler for Kerry

    Jamey Mossengren

    Smile! :) It makes people wonder what you're up to!

    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
    moments that take our breath away"

    tuna6869's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1526