Re: Worst Salad on Route 66

notbob

Guest
On 2006-11-17, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> After watching it again, the Che T-shirt completely ruins everything
> and turns the whole thing into an arrogant bit of elitism.

No kidding. You can tell by the background it's your basic roadside
cafe of the type that's been serving that traditional iceberg/tomato salad
for eons. What the Hell were they expecting, beet n' pear rocket
salad? If anything, it's classic Rt 66 and is as authentic as you can
get. Stupid tourists. I bet they ride bicycles, too.

nb

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-11-17, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > After watching it again, the Che T-shirt completely ruins everything
> > and turns the whole thing into an arrogant bit of elitism.

> No kidding. You can tell by the background it's your basic roadside
> cafe of the type that's been serving that traditional iceberg/tomato salad
> for eons. What the Hell were they expecting, beet n' pear rocket
> salad? If anything, it's classic Rt 66 and is as authentic as you can
> get. Stupid tourists. I bet they ride bicycles, too.

Same kind of out of towners that we get around here. They get the
porkchop sandwich at Jack's Western World, then complain that it's
bone-in. Stupid tourists--that's where the *flavor* is!

notbob wrote:

> No kidding. You can tell by the background it's your basic roadside
> cafe of the type that's been serving that traditional iceberg/tomato salad
> for eons. What the Hell were they expecting, beet n' pear rocket
> salad? If anything, it's classic Rt 66 and is as authentic as you can
> get. Stupid tourists. I bet they ride bicycles, too.

Well that's the point, which I should have mentioned. They were
_cycling_ Route 66. The woman in the video is relatively well known, or
so I thought.

"http://tinyurl.com/99s28"
"galfromdownunder.com"

I think that that salad is much worse than you'll find at most
restaurants, and I've been across the U.S. on land many times, and never
saw a salad that bad.

SMS wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>
> > No kidding. You can tell by the background it's your basic roadside
> > cafe of the type that's been serving that traditional iceberg/tomato salad
> > for eons. What the Hell were they expecting, beet n' pear rocket
> > salad? If anything, it's classic Rt 66 and is as authentic as you can
> > get. Stupid tourists. I bet they ride bicycles, too.

> Well that's the point, which I should have mentioned. They were
> _cycling_ Route 66. The woman in the video is relatively well known, or
> so I thought.
>
> "http://tinyurl.com/99s28"
> "galfromdownunder.com"
>
> I think that that salad is much worse than you'll find at most
> restaurants, and I've been across the U.S. on land many times, and never
> saw a salad that bad.

The problem lays in ordering the salad in the first place. Only some
nutjob from SF or NYC is going to order a salad at the meat n' three on
the small town square. An educated traveler would eat what the locals
eat, be it poke salat, field peas, or collards. Asking for a salad at
Bob's Roadside Dinette, then complaining is about as stupid and
ignorant 'merican, as going to Hong Kong and complaining that the
dumplings don't taste like McNuggets.

It's the type of overly educated ignorance that drove me from living on
the left coast. As pretty as it was, it was unenjoyable when a vast
majority of the population had neurotic food issues such as veganism by
choice, but with an inability to cook. You don't mess with food and/or
sex. Both should be enjoyed with wild abandon, and as often as possible.

On 2006-11-17, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:

> restaurants, and I've been across the U.S. on land many times, and never
> saw a salad that bad.

Why am I not suprised.

nb

SMS wrote:

> "http://tinyurl.com/99s28"
> "galfromdownunder.com"
>
> I think that that salad is much worse than you'll find at most
> restaurants, and I've been across the U.S. on land many times, and never
> saw a salad that bad.

If you have never seen a salad worse than this, then you have lived a
VERY sheltered life.

I've been served far worse looking salads than this over the years --
salads where the lettuce was old, brown and wilted; salads where the
greens weren't properly washed and had quite a bit of dirt on them; and
the best one, a salad where a number of small dead insects (fruit
flies?) were stuck on the leaves of the lettuce. Compared to those, a
salad made out of shreds of fresh iceberg lettuce and four slices of
tomato isn't too bad.

- Peter

"SMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> notbob wrote:
>
> I think that that salad is much worse than you'll find at most
> restaurants, and I've been across the U.S. on land many times, and never
> saw a salad that bad.

I worked construction in rural Illinois and Missouri for two summers some
years ago. This is a typical salad, except for the unusually generous
quantity of tomatoes.

People who wear Che t-shirts in places like this are lucky to be served at
all.

They are IN the restaurant, with other patrons around, making fun of the
place -- and by extension, the people who have chosen to eat there. This is
very, very rude.

"notbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2006-11-17, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> After watching it again, the Che T-shirt completely ruins everything
>> and turns the whole thing into an arrogant bit of elitism.

> No kidding. You can tell by the background it's your basic roadside
> cafe of the type that's been serving that traditional iceberg/tomato salad
> for eons. What the Hell were they expecting, beet n' pear rocket
> salad? If anything, it's classic Rt 66 and is as authentic as you can
> get. Stupid tourists. I bet they ride bicycles, too.
>
> nb

I don't see anything wrong with the salad. That's the way I LIKE my salads.
.. . .

Charles of Schaumburg

Mike Kruger wrote:
> "SMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > notbob wrote:
> >
> > I think that that salad is much worse than you'll find at most
> > restaurants, and I've been across the U.S. on land many times, and never
> > saw a salad that bad.

> I worked construction in rural Illinois and Missouri for two summers some
> years ago. This is a typical salad, except for the unusually generous
> quantity of tomatoes.
>
> People who wear Che t-shirts in places like this are lucky to be served at
> all.
>
> They are IN the restaurant, with other patrons around, making fun of the
> place -- and by extension, the people who have chosen to eat there. This is
> very, very rude.

I would have liked the video better if it had ended with the locals
physically ejecting the obnoxious couple from the restaurant.

--
Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

"landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> SMS wrote:
>> notbob wrote:
>>
>> > No kidding. You can tell by the background it's your basic roadside
>> > cafe of the type that's been serving that traditional iceberg/tomato
>> > salad
>> > for eons. What the Hell were they expecting, beet n' pear rocket
>> > salad? If anything, it's classic Rt 66 and is as authentic as you can
>> > get. Stupid tourists. I bet they ride bicycles, too.

>> Well that's the point, which I should have mentioned. They were
>> _cycling_ Route 66. The woman in the video is relatively well known, or
>> so I thought.
>>
>> "http://tinyurl.com/99s28"
>> "galfromdownunder.com"
>>
>> I think that that salad is much worse than you'll find at most
>> restaurants, and I've been across the U.S. on land many times, and never
>> saw a salad that bad.

> The problem lays in ordering the salad in the first place. Only some
> nutjob from SF or NYC is going to order a salad at the meat n' three on
> the small town square. An educated traveler would eat what the locals
> eat, be it poke salat, field peas, or collards. Asking for a salad at
> Bob's Roadside Dinette, then complaining is about as stupid and
> ignorant 'merican, as going to Hong Kong and complaining that the
> dumplings don't taste like McNuggets.
>
> It's the type of overly educated ignorance that drove me from living on
> the left coast. As pretty as it was, it was unenjoyable when a vast
> majority of the population had neurotic food issues such as veganism by
> choice, but with an inability to cook. You don't mess with food and/or
> sex. Both should be enjoyed with wild abandon, and as often as possible.

Amen, brother. Now why are there no women that are like that? All the
single women out here in the 'burbs are vegetarian, neurotic, leftists with
cats. If there are any decent women, they're deep in hiding.

Charles of Schaumburg

In article <[email protected]>,
"Peter Lawrence" <[email protected]> writes:

> If you have never seen a salad worse than this, then you have lived a
> VERY sheltered life.
>
> I've been served far worse looking salads than this over the years --
> salads where the lettuce was old, brown and wilted; salads where the
> greens weren't properly washed and had quite a bit of dirt on them; and
> the best one, a salad where a number of small dead insects (fruit
> flies?) were stuck on the leaves of the lettuce. Compared to those, a
> salad made out of shreds of fresh iceberg lettuce and four slices of
> tomato isn't too bad.

There was (is?) a by-law in Vancouver where "licensed premises"
cafes & diners could only serve beer or spirits to customers who
also ordered food. Some places had "ostensible" salads for that
purpose, just in case the cops looked in.

I wouldn't be surprised if they re-used the same, untouched bowl
of salad a number of times.

Sometimes salad ain't for eating.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "SMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > notbob wrote:
> >
> > I think that that salad is much worse than you'll find at most
> > restaurants, and I've been across the U.S. on land many times, and never
> > saw a salad that bad.

> They are IN the restaurant, with other patrons around, making fun of the
> place -- and by extension, the people who have chosen to eat there. This is
> very, very rude.

I'll agree with other posters, that the salad in question is not
atypical of what I'd expect at a small-town diner (what this appears to
be) in the Midwest. I thought I heard something in the early part of the
audio track about the guy expecting arugula, or sun-dried tomatoes.

The real rudeness is "outing" the name name of the place in the audio
track. At least other travel writers, when they hit a bad spot, usually
use the occasion to make the point that one should "eat locally"--what
is produced locally, so it's at its most fresh.

Steve

--
steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of

On 18 Nov 2006 06:57:18 -0800, "Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Mike Kruger wrote:
>> "SMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > notbob wrote:
>> >
>> > I think that that salad is much worse than you'll find at most
>> > restaurants, and I've been across the U.S. on land many times, and never
>> > saw a salad that bad.

>> I worked construction in rural Illinois and Missouri for two summers some
>> years ago. This is a typical salad, except for the unusually generous
>> quantity of tomatoes.
>>
>> People who wear Che t-shirts in places like this are lucky to be served at
>> all.
>>
>> They are IN the restaurant, with other patrons around, making fun of the
>> place -- and by extension, the people who have chosen to eat there. This is
>> very, very rude.

>I would have liked the video better if it had ended with the locals
>physically ejecting the obnoxious couple from the restaurant.

The ugly American visits America...

Email address works as is.

> "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> All the single women out here in the 'burbs are vegetarian, neurotic,
> leftists with cats. If there are any decent women, they're deep in
> hiding.

For some reason, this reminds me of a single relative's comment when she
moved from New York: "All the single men in New York are gay."

> > "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> > All the single women out here in the 'burbs are vegetarian, neurotic,
> > leftists with cats. If there are any decent women, they're deep in
> > hiding.

Don't go fishing for marlin in a trout stream.

Steve

--
steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, chip shot in the other, body thoroughly
used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

"Steve Fenwick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> > "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > All the single women out here in the 'burbs are vegetarian, neurotic,
>> > leftists with cats. If there are any decent women, they're deep in
>> > hiding.

> Don't go fishing for marlin in a trout stream.
>
> Steve
>
> --
> steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com
> "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
> arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
> skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, chip shot in the other, body
> thoroughly
> used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

I did what was recommended. I went to church looking for 'good' women, only
to find that since I wasn't married, I was an oddball and therefore pretty
much shunned. The only other place single women seem to be in the 'burbs
are in bars. And behind bars.

Charles of Schaumburg

n5hsr wrote:
> "Steve Fenwick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
>> arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
>> skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, chip shot in the other, body
>> thoroughly
>> used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

What he said!!!!

> I did what was recommended. I went to church looking for 'good' women, only
> to find that since I wasn't married, I was an oddball and therefore pretty
> much shunned.

I was told that in high school and went to a few churches and never
found the sex deprived girls I had hoped for. Wrong place.

The only other place single women seem to be in the 'burbs
> are in bars. And behind bars.

Try a library or maybe take a college class that looks both interesting
and something you might find some female types in. Bars are the wrong
place, voice of experience, unless you can pick up the gorgeous cocktail
waitress who doesn't drink herself.

> Charles of Schaumburg

That's why they call it getting lucky.
Bill Baka

Patrick Lamb wrote:
> On 18 Nov 2006 06:57:18 -0800, "Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Mike Kruger wrote:
>>> "SMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> I worked construction in rural Illinois and Missouri for two summers some
>>> years ago. This is a typical salad, except for the unusually generous
>>> quantity of tomatoes.
>>>
>>> People who wear Che t-shirts in places like this are lucky to be served at
>>> all.
>>>
>>> They are IN the restaurant, with other patrons around, making fun of the
>>> place -- and by extension, the people who have chosen to eat there. This is
>>> very, very rude.

>> I would have liked the video better if it had ended with the locals
>> physically ejecting the obnoxious couple from the restaurant.

> The ugly American visits America...

Though neither of the restaurant patrons were "American."

In article <[email protected]>,
Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

> n5hsr wrote:
> The only other place single women seem to be in the 'burbs
> > are in bars. And behind bars.

> Try a library or maybe take a college class that looks both interesting
> and something you might find some female types in. Bars are the wrong
> place, voice of experience, unless you can pick up the gorgeous cocktail
> waitress who doesn't drink herself.
> >
> > Charles of Schaumburg
> >

> That's why they call it getting lucky.
> Bill Baka

What he said.

My point was that, by the time they're out in the 'burbs, they're either
married, or jail bait. You might find the odd divorced soccer mom. You
need to head back into the city, or meet them through work, or friends,
or back in school (college).

Steve

--

Steve Fenwick wrote:

> My point was that, by the time they're out in the 'burbs, they're either
> married, or jail bait.

Hmm, around here, the single women out in the burbs tend to be the
young, successful professionals, that are smart enough to not buy a
junky condo. Nurses, lawyers, engineers, etc., those with high enough
incomes to afford a house, as well as all those nice bicycles.

Maybe the problem is that you're no prize.