Re: $

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Tim Downie, Mar 1, 2005.

  1. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    Tags:

  2. >And your view on this is what?

    that the marathon business is a lousy business model. at the turn of
    the century boxing matches lasted for 30 rounds. sports change/evolve
    and so should marathoning. keeping things in place for
    "traditional"reasons is a poor way to attract a new generation of fans.

    if it was up to me all marathons would be done-away with! the new
    standard would be the "20K". Something far more recoverable from to
    compete again....Closed to the public....best 50 male & best 50 femals
    runners. So yes...you would have the Boston 20K, the London 20K and
    so forth. someone's who's halfway there like ING should change
    everything....and create a circuit that could repeatedly have the best
    runners battle at least 6 times / year.

    Kind of like how "golf" has about 6 "major events" and the best in the
    world battle each other 6 times at least in the course of a season.
    You would build up more rivalries, and "package" the circuit and each
    event nicely for TV (a 90 min. sporting match with the pre & post wrap
    up).

    of course there would be far far more money in it...for everyone one.
    that's my view and i'm sticking to it!

  3. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >And your view on this is what?
    >>

    > if it was up to me all marathons would be done-away with! the new
    > standard would be the "20K". Something far more recoverable from to
    > compete again....Closed to the public....best 50 male & best 50 femals
    > runners. So yes...you would have the Boston 20K, the London 20K and
    > so forth. someone's who's halfway there like ING should change
    > everything....and create a circuit that could repeatedly have the best
    > runners battle at least 6 times / year.

    ah dont be such an elitist. if Pheidippides had quit at 20k we'd all be
    speaking Persian today.

    As Pheidippides said, "Asics!!"

  4. [email protected] wrote:
    > Kind of like how "golf" has about 6 "major events" and the best in the
    > world battle each other 6 times at least in the course of a season.
    > You would build up more rivalries, and "package" the circuit and each
    > event nicely for TV (a 90 min. sporting match with the pre & post wrap
    > up).

    Aah, TV.
    Aren't we forgetting the commercial breaks?
    I propose that runners run 10 minutes and then stop
    (wherever they are) for a 2 minute commercial break.
    After the break, they resume wherever they stopped.

    Kind of like pausing live TV (Tivo like) except that
    we'll be pausing the live race. Implementing it might
    be a bit tricky, but I'm sure somebody will find a
    solution.

    jobs

  5. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >And your view on this is what?

    > that the marathon business is a lousy business model. at the turn of
    > the century boxing matches lasted for 30 rounds. sports change/evolve
    > and so should marathoning. keeping things in place for
    > "traditional"reasons is a poor way to attract a new generation of
    > fans.
    >

    > if it was up to me all marathons would be done-away with! the new
    > standard would be the "20K". Something far more recoverable from to
    > compete again...

    Marathons and longer are easy to recover from if you get your lazy ass
    out the door and do some long runs. Hell, why not just make it a 10k or
    better yet 5k and have one an hour on the hour each Saturday and Sunday.
    .. We can call this perpetuate pansyism. ;)

    > of course there would be far far more money in it...for everyone one.
    > that's my view and i'm sticking to it!

    Don't give up your day job or all your squab is coming from the El. :)

    -Doug