Reach Adjustment Ultegra STI 9 Speed

twalsh

Mar 22, 2004
Hi all. I have a question regarding the possibility of adjusting the reach of the Ultegra 9 Speed STI shifters so that the bar is closer to the shifters while in the drops. I know that I can go out and buy the so called "brifter", but I was hoping I could avoid that expense. Maybe another solution is to change the bar instead of the shifters from my 3T "The Bar" to another shape. Any suggestions? Perhaps someone has a nifty solution to my predicament? (My hands are small, probably about 6 1/ 2"). Thanks.

twalsh said:
Hi all. I have a question regarding the possibility of adjusting the reach of the Ultegra 9 Speed STI shifters so that the bar is closer to the shifters while in the drops. I know that I can go out and buy the so called "brifter", but I was hoping I could avoid that expense. Maybe another solution is to change the bar instead of the shifters from my 3T "The Bar" to another shape. Any suggestions? Perhaps someone has a nifty solution to my predicament? (My hands are small, probably about 6 1/ 2"). Thanks.

I have small hands too. The bike shop I was at sold plastic shims that you wedge in the gap between the top of the hoods and the shifter levers. It makes it like your brakes are particially applied. May need to have brake cable length adjusted. It was cheap and looked like it would work.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=14922

These should do the trick.

twalsh said:

Hi and thanks for your advice.
I think I'm going to try to the shim idea, (thanks for the link to Specialized). I have no problems shifting while on the hoods, just on the drops. I think if I had just two extra cm of finger length while in the drops the reach to the brakes would be perfect - and I wouldn't have to worry about a failed attempt at emergency braking :eek: