Reaction to Marion Jones' alleged doping

Patricio Carlos

Guest
Am I being paranoid or does anyone else feel the same?
The reaction to Victor Conte's doping claims about Marion Jones and
other track athletes seems to me to be less vitriolic that the usual
reaction to a cyclist caught doping.

If a cyclist gets caught, it's a disgrace to the sport, "cycling has an
image problem" or "is rotten to the core".
If Marion Jones gets outed, it's a disgrace to the individual but we
can hope that the sport in general is clean.

I'd like to see all the dopers get caught but I don't believe cycling
has more doping than other big money sports. I think the track athletes
are mostly on the juice but don't seem to have the same "everybody
dopes" reputation that cyclist do. Why?

No one cares because everyone knew she was on the juice. She was as big as the guys. Marion did not look natural 2 years ago. Her husband was busted, Then her bf was busted. A common trend here. To get pregnant though she had to stop doping. If you look at her now. She is alot smaller muscle wise than just 2 years ago.

Track is like cycling only the stupid get caught.

Thomas13ss wrote:
> To get pregnant though she had to stop doping. If you look at her now.

Now we know why Hamilton was caught.

I agree that drugs are endemic in Track & Field. But disagree that only
the stupid get caught. (although it is the case some of the time) Seems
that we are in a long distance race between the technology of doping
and the technology of finding dopers. So it is often just a matter of
where the two sides are in their own cycles.

Even with CJ Hunter getting busted around the time of the Olympics, she
came through it all looking like a hero at the time.

I think a lot of people are hurt more now at the loss of that hero that
she had represented back in 2000.

When a cyclist gets caught, people tend to say that cycling in general
is tainted. Perhaps the situation with Tyler Hamilton is a little
different for those who are arguing his innocence. If he does confess
in the future, there will probably be quite a few (mainly Americans?)
that grieve for the loss of a person previously seen as a hero. Ditto
if Lance ever got busted.

In that race, there is a helluva lot more money if you can produce new
doping techniques compared to if you can produce a new test for doping.
Any guesses who is likely to win the race?

Patricio Carlos said:
In that race, there is a helluva lot more money if you can produce new
doping techniques compared to if you can produce a new test for doping.
Any guesses who is likely to win the race?

The drug makers will always be a step ahead. Don't you need the drug to make the test?

Thomas

In general yes but it's not always about a drug eg autologous or
homologous transfusions.

Thomas13ss wrote:

> Patricio Carlos Wrote:
>
>>In that race, there is a helluva lot more money if you can produce new
>>doping techniques compared to if you can produce a new test for
>>doping.
>>Any guesses who is likely to win the race?

> The drug makers will always be a step ahead. Don't you need the drug
> to make the test?

The drug manufacturers are really starting to take the **** now, too.
As if "The Clear" and "The Cream" weren't bad enough, from Conte's
interview, the next one is called "The Stuff III".

Me, I'd call it "TSTW"...
"Hey coach, can you get me some of The Stuff That Works?"

You might want to check out www.letsrun.com for some reactions to the doping
issue.

Track and field has had a bad image for a while. Ben Johnson did it on a
larger scale (at least in the US) than anything in cycling has hit the US.

"Patricio Carlos" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Am I being paranoid or does anyone else feel the same?
> The reaction to Victor Conte's doping claims about Marion Jones and
> other track athletes seems to me to be less vitriolic that the usual
> reaction to a cyclist caught doping.
>
> If a cyclist gets caught, it's a disgrace to the sport, "cycling has an
> image problem" or "is rotten to the core".
> If Marion Jones gets outed, it's a disgrace to the individual but we
> can hope that the sport in general is clean.
>
> I'd like to see all the dopers get caught but I don't believe cycling
> has more doping than other big money sports. I think the track athletes
> are mostly on the juice but don't seem to have the same "everybody
> dopes" reputation that cyclist do. Why?

"Thomas13ss" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> No one cares because everyone knew she was on the juice. She was as big
> as the guys. Marion did not look natural 2 years ago. Her husband was
> busted, Then her bf was busted. A common trend here. To get pregnant
> though she had to stop doping. If you look at her now. She is alot
> smaller muscle wise than just 2 years ago.
>
> Track is like cycling only the stupid get caught.
>

> --
> Thomas13ss

Not to defend Marion, but she was tall and muscular in college (she played
DI basketaball for a championship team). You cannot blame her being tall on
drugs. Also, she was very fast in HS where she came close to making the US
Olympic team as a high school (in a sport dominated by the Americans I might
add). She was fast then and I doubt she was on dope when in high school.

I think she is guilty, but I also fear sidestepping the rules just to punish
one person. The rules state 3 year statute of limitations. Now, I would be
willing to change my mind if **** Pound and Jacques Rogge were as hell bent
on cleaning the former East Germans who denied so many Americans their
medals or better medals.

The testing is working in this sense cheating is harder and less
effective.

According to Conte, Marion Jones was on HGH, insulin and THG (all
undetectable at the time), none of which are among the best performance
enhancers. From what I've heard THG is not a very effective steroid,
and is not kind to the liver/kidneys, it's main upside was being
undetectable.

On the other hand Giambi was taking nadralone (Deca), which works well
but is also easily detected and apparently lingers in the system.
-Amit