reactions to usat panel: vigorito, girand, locke, empfield, yount

Pmcdc

Guest
very informative article/set of Q&As put up on the "inside
triathlon" website today, by timothy carlson. these people
talk about their reactions to the blue ribbon panel decision
recently released.

Interesting reading. Was a good decision and should bring
USAT to Order. I dropped out of USAT about 5 years ago
because I was unhappy with the way they evolved in their
business. None of that had anything in common with this
disputed event. I liked USAT back in the days when it
represented all triathletes, not just elite triathletes. It
evolved into an organization that seemed to represent the
elite segment and utilized the remainder to finance and
provide the body to gain recognition. I could be wrong but
that was the way it struck me.

Ken

"PMcDC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040520220014.10762.00001663@mb-
m01.aol.com...
> very informative article/set of Q&As put up on the "inside
> triathlon"
website
> today, by timothy carlson. these people talk about their
> reactions to
the
> blue ribbon panel decision recently released.

"IMKen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Interesting reading. Was a good decision and should bring
> USAT to Order. I dropped out of USAT about 5 years ago
> because I was unhappy with the way they evolved in their
> business. None of that had anything in common with this
> disputed event. I liked USAT back in the days when it
> represented
all
> triathletes, not just elite triathletes. It evolved into
> an organization that seemed to represent the elite segment
> and utilized the remainder to finance and provide the body
> to gain recognition. I could be wrong but
that
> was the way it struck me.
>
> Ken

Couldn't agree more. I only ever do the one-day
membership thing.

Several years ago, the membership was whipped into a fever
over getting the sport into the Olympic Games. I felt like
the voice crying in the wilderness when I asked the
practical questions. I don't think the average "person-paying-the-
bills" member derives any direct benefit from the Olympics.

The people I talk to were drawn to their first triathlon by
a couple of things: the Hawaii Ironman TV broadcast, or a
"Triathlon Missionary" recruited/encouraged them.

Unfortunately, I sometimes feel that I have thrown out the
baby with the bathwater. For instance, I would love to have
another outlet for supporting the referees program. I just
don't want to endorse (fund) the parent organization any
more than I absolutely have to.

rsquared

"Ray Plotecia" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Check the rules, that could be a "position violation"

HAHAHAHA!!!! Ray that was too damned funny! Dawn Marie and I
were talking about you this past weekend on our long ride.
She said to tell you HI when I ran into you next. Consider
this your "Hi!"

/Schwing

Thank you Ruth.

Ray

"rtk" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:HpednQ2wAf1r5ybdRVn-
[email protected]...
> Oh Ray, that is so hysterically funny!
>
> Ruth K
>

> Ray Plotecia wrote:
> > Check the rules, that could be a "position violation"
> >

> > "Tom Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message news:[email protected]
> > .188.18...
> >
> >>"rsquared" <[email protected]> wrote in
> >>news:TVMtc.4725$Yf6.1921 @bignews1.bellsouth.net:

> >>Great term! I know several of them. Have been accused of
> >>being one, and would be quite proud if it's true!

So where has everyone been? I've been riding my Calfee alone
since I got out of the hospital.

Ray

Oh yes. We've gone really OT on this thread. That doesn't
mean we're ignoring it. There are new elections coming up
and the federation really needs to be cleaned up. "Old
Timer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Ray Plotecia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Check the rules, that could be a "position violation"
> >
> HAHAHAHA!!!! Ray that was too damned funny! Dawn Marie and
> I were talking about you this past weekend on our long
> ride. She said to tell you HI when I ran into you next.
> Consider this your "Hi!"
>
> /Schwing

Oh, I herniated a disk (L5-S1) and couldn't even sleep. So I
got it fixed. I had a microdiskectomy and it was a good
procedure. I'm coming back strong, I think.

I'm cycling 50 hilly miles at 16 mph and swimming almost as
well as I used to. I haven't run a step and will probably
blow off this whole season.

I'm not totally missing the running but I am missing the
people at the races.

Ray

"Tom Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Ray Plotecia" <[email protected]> wrote in news:-JWdnUQ1zqBhSiDdRVn-
> [email protected]:
>
> > since I got out of the hospital.
> >

> Hospital? What in the world did you do to yourself?

"Ray Plotecia" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Oh, I herniated a disk (L5-S1) and couldn't even sleep. So
> I got it fixed. I had a microdiskectomy and it was a good
> procedure. I'm coming back strong, I think.
>
> I'm cycling 50 hilly miles at 16 mph and swimming almost
> as well as I used to. I haven't run a step and will
> probably blow off this whole season.
>
> I'm not totally missing the running but I am missing the
> people at the races.
>
> Ray

Here's to a speedy recovery!