Reactive Hypoglycemia - BG 2.2

Softeng

Guest
Hi there everybody,

I have just a cpl of days ago been told the root of all my evil appears to be Reactive Hypoglycemia.
in my GTT after teh first hour my BG had dropped from 4.8 to 2.2. It then steadily climed to 5.8
over the next five hours.

I have now obtained a home monitoring kit and are keen to try an change my diet to see if I can get
some good results.

I have read as much as I can on the web but was wondering if someone with reactive hypoglycemia
could post an example of a single days diet for me to have a look at. I understand all the talk
about eating regularly and eating the right stuff but I think a practical example may be invaluable.
It would be most appreciated.

I also had some other questions that people may be able to answer:

1. Why do I feel so tired when I wake in the morning, kinda like I never slept?

2. Why do the symptoms tend to ease up at night - I actually wake up a litte, become more alert?

3. What target BG level is appropiate to try and regulate through the day?

4. I am a bit concerned because no matter what I seem to eat in the morning I VERY quickly feel
tired and dizzy and all I want to do is close me eyes?

Well thanks to everyone for your help.

Cheers,

Ray.

2. the release of cortisol and norepinephrine upon the stress of waking can further lower Blood
glucose levels causing increased fatigue.

3 target blood glucose level would depend upon the extent of time your BGL is after a meal. in
normal individuals 4.5nmol/l and after a meal BGL can rise to 8.0nmol/l. whilst I know you monitor
your BGL over the day, perhaps its is a good idea to monitor Blood Ketone levels (fasting) with an
appropriate monitor.

3. perhaps reduce the glycemic load consumed in the mornings. ( it is important to note that it is
not just carbohydrates that effect your BGLs).

news:[email protected]...

A2K wrote:

> 2. the release of cortisol and norepinephrine upon the stress of waking can further lower Blood
> glucose levels causing increased fatigue.

Cortisol and adrenaline *raise* blood glucose.

MattLB

Yes I am sorry they do lower BGL "Softeng" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi there everybody,
>
> I have just a cpl of days ago been told the root of all my evil appears to be Reactive
> Hypoglycemia. in my GTT after teh first hour my BG had dropped from 4.8 to 2.2. It then steadily
> climed to 5.8 over the next five hours.
>
> I have now obtained a home monitoring kit and are keen to try an change my diet to see if I can
> get some good results.
>
> I have read as much as I can on the web but was wondering if someone with reactive hypoglycemia
> could post an example of a single days diet for me to have a look at. I understand all the talk
> about eating regularly and eating the right stuff but I think a practical example may be
> invaluable. It would be most appreciated.
>
> I also had some other questions that people may be able to answer:
>
> 1. Why do I feel so tired when I wake in the morning, kinda like I never slept?
>
> 2. Why do the symptoms tend to ease up at night - I actually wake up a litte, become more alert?
>
> 3. What target BG level is appropiate to try and regulate through the day?
>
> 4. I am a bit concerned because no matter what I seem to eat in the morning I VERY quickly feel
> tired and dizzy and all I want to do is close me eyes?
>

> Well thanks to everyone for your help.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ray.

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 14:03:55 +0000, MattLB
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Cortisol and adrenaline *raise* blood glucose.

Agree heartily. Sounds more like glucagon release inhibition, perhaps by abnormal high
insulin release.

Or excess eating of high glycemic load food in the evening. That could produce a big bump during the
night, also in people not using insulin injections.