Reading Open Today

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mal, Apr 21, 2003.

  1. Mal

    Mal Guest

    Well, it is true - bikes were seen at and on the Reading Velodrome track. It wasn't a publicity
    stunt, they were really there, moving and racing and everything! And the league will be up and
    running from next Monday - honest, John Dennis (Happy Birthday sir, you can't be that old - can
    you?) kept his face straight when he told us.

    And, for £4 I picked up a fine set of used bars and saddle. Now - before I do something rash and buy
    the rest of the bits I need retail, in time for Monday 28th can anybody sort me out with:

    * Decent tubs, off or on decent sprints,
    * steel (or alloy) toe clips to fit my size 9 Duegis,
    * 15 T & 16 T 1/8 sprockets - as new.
    * Unused skinsuit - not trade

    Now - I have the level of base fitness one might expect from cycling a leisurely 100 miles over the
    last 12 months, coupled with something of a real ale habit . . .how best to hone myself in the next
    6 days? (no pun intended)

    TIA,

    Mal

    Tags:

  2. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 01:36:37 +0100, "Mal" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Now - I have the level of base fitness one might expect from cycling a leisurely 100 miles over the
    >last 12 months, coupled with something of a real ale habit . . .how best to hone myself in the next
    >6 days? (no pun intended)

    Six days? Probably best to just take a sick bag eh? Would be rather impolite to leave that sort of
    thing on the home straight :eek:)

    Bob

  3. John B

    John B Guest

    Mal wrote:

    > Well, it is true - bikes were seen at and on the Reading Velodrome track.

    And don't forget the 'bent. The highlight (for me) was to see Rob English take on the British
    National Team Pursuit Champions over 4000m - and he won. He did it unfaired too.

    The 20km was almost as exciting as the last race at Herne Hill on Good Friday.

    > It wasn't a publicity stunt, they were really there, moving and racing and everything!

    They should have halted the U16 race tho'. It was a disgrace to call it a race and a loud cheer went
    up when the judges announced it would be stopped if they didn't start racing :-(

    > And the league will be up and running from next Monday - honest, John Dennis (Happy Birthday sir,
    > you can't be that old - can you?) kept his face straight when he told us.

    A brilliant day out. I took the whole family and we were entertained for five exciting hours.

    Thanks to the organisers and the riders (but please sort the commentary)

    John B

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 11:14:53 +0100, John B <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The highlight (for me) was to see Rob English take on the British National Team Pursuit Champions
    >over 4000m - and he won. He did it unfaired too.

    But of course :-D

    I wanted to go but had to work. Bummer. I really want to meet Rob English - the man who holds the
    world record for the fastest ever bicycle crash (over 70mph). He crashed faster than Jason Queally
    managed to ride!

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  5. Peter Fox

    Peter Fox Guest

    >Now - I have the level of base fitness one might expect from cycling a leisurely 100 miles over the
    >last 12 months, coupled with something of a real ale habit . . .how best to hone myself in the next
    >6 days? (no pun intended)
    Take it gently... ...find a pub which is a little bit further away from home each day.

    --
    PETER FOX Not the same since the bridge building business collapsed

  6. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Peter Fox suggested:
    > Take it gently... ...find a pub which is a little bit further away from home each day.

    Do you know of any mobile pubs then? Or is it just a matter of finding one on a fault line?

    :p

    Thomas Paine

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 11:06:18 +0100, Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote:

    >find a pub which is a little bit further away from home each day.

    Or, if you can only find one pub, drink more each day and it will *seem* further...

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  8. Mal

    Mal Guest

    "Call me Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 01:36:37 +0100, "Mal" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Now - I have the level of base fitness one might expect from cycling a leisurely 100 miles over
    > >the last 12 months, coupled with something of a real ale habit . . .how best to hone myself in
    > >the next 6 days? (no pun intended)
    >
    > Six days? Probably best to just take a sick bag eh? Would be rather impolite to leave that sort of
    > thing on the home straight :eek:)

    Many a true word . . . When I used to race I always suffered from nerves - I could never eat later
    than 5 hours prior to a race. As for execise induced illness - I experienced that only once, in one
    of Dick Poole's pre-season short intervals sessions at Palmer Park. So yes, I'll pack a brown bag.

    Er, another day done - did I get on my bike? Nah mate! I'm really very curious to see what will
    happen on Monday - When I did train I was bloody useless at most things longer than 1 lap, so I
    don't expect to finish anything even when on form.

    I shall be taking to Reading track tomorrow evening (6:00 ish till 8:00 ish) with a potential
    convert from work (subject to the track being available when I call them tomorrow). My accomplice
    hasn't ridden fixed before and my agenda is to get him on the track riding safely prior to some
    gentle pace riding. A few sprints will be in order, to see just how far my body has degenerated
    from misuse.

    Mal

  9. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Peter Fox suggested:

    > > ...find a pub which is a little bit further away from home each day.
    >
    > Do you know of any mobile pubs then? Or is it just a matter of finding one on a fault line?

    Easier to find a mobile home.

    --
    Dave...

  10. Carol Hague

    Carol Hague Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 11:14:53 +0100, John B <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >The highlight (for me) was to see Rob English take on the British National Team Pursuit Champions
    > >over 4000m - and he won. He did it unfaired too.
    >
    > But of course :-D
    >
    > I wanted to go but had to work. Bummer. I really want to meet Rob English - the man who holds the
    > world record for the fastest ever bicycle crash (over 70mph). He crashed faster than Jason Queally
    > managed to ride!

    Come to one of the BHPC meetings then - next one's at Thruxton circuit, near Andover on May 3rd. If
    there are two races (which there often are) Rob English usually rides in both of them....

    If he beat the pursuit team unfaired, I wonder how he would have trounced them in his fully
    faired Mango....

    Incidentally, I'm still second in the Multitrack category this year, albeit purely by virtue of
    having turned up for one more event than all but one of the other trike riders..... :)

    --
    Carol Hague Westcountry Recumbents http://www.wrhpv.com Feet first on three wheels.