Reading Speedo Info Through Polarized Sunglasses

Albert 50

Apr 18, 2006
Below is an email I sent to Echowell a couple of days ago re the screen being unable to be clearly read [it becomes partially blacked out] when I wear polarized sunglasses:-

"I have a W1 wireless & an F2 wired computer. Neither is able to be viewed well through polarized sunglasses. I also have a computer from another manufacturer which I bought in 1988 & its screen is unaffected by the polarizing.
Is there a technical reason why your screens are affected? Do you intend to address this situation?"

No reply to date.

Am I the only one?

Albert 50 said:
Below is an email I sent to Echowell a couple of days ago re the screen being unable to be clearly read [it becomes partially blacked out] when I wear polarized sunglasses:-

"I have a W1 wireless & an F2 wired computer. Neither is able to be viewed well through polarized sunglasses. I also have a computer from another manufacturer which I bought in 1988 & its screen is unaffected by the polarizing.
Is there a technical reason why your screens are affected? Do you intend to address this situation?"

No reply to date.

Am I the only one?

My Polar 720 goes a bit funny in terms of weird interference patterns with sunnies on, but is still mostly legible. The Raytheon navigation instruments on my parents' boat do the same thing - they look broken, but are still readable. I'd assumed that it applied to all LCD displays.

All LCD displays are polarised, so if you look at them through polarising sunglasses you will get everything from no effect to weird interference patterns to total blackout.

The trick is to work out what angle of head tilt will give you the best view of your display.

Or don't wear polarized sunnies for riding. I found the same thing when I bought some new polarized non-riding glasses. My cell phone display is hard to read with the sunnies on as well.

Time to change helmets Al

DarthVader.jpg