Ready-made lights for commuting, fitness use

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by p_b_floyd, Feb 22, 2005.

  1. p_b_floyd

    p_b_floyd New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2004
    Though much impressed by the DIYers' knowledge and efforts, I lack the time and confidence to give it a go.
    My needs are to see and be seen in non-extreme situations, but including some unlit areas.
    So what are the cheapest effective and convenient lights to go for in the shops?
    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004
    Cygolite make a few options which are fairly cheap and readily available. www.cygolite.com

    If you don't mind ordering from o/s, the options available from www.nightlightning.co.nz are attractive, moreso because of the NZ dollar. I'm debating one of their luxeon options myself...

    Have heard some pleasant things about Cateyes latest LED offerings, but it depends on what your lightning needs are...

  3. Hi,

    There are heaps of great lights out there that are pretty inexpensive,
    light (as in weight...), and do a great job of letting you be seen. Yor
    local LBS should have a very decent range - giving specific models is
    probably pointless, as ranges will differ slightly from store to store.

    But if you are looking for some serious light (as in, really need to
    see where you are going), then that's another matter......

    Absent Husband... (whose rear light si probably redundant, when a cars
    headlights play across his lard arse...)

  4. hippy

    hippy Guest

    p_b_floyd wrote:
    > Though much impressed by the DIYers' knowledge and efforts, I lack the
    > time and confidence to give it a go.
    > My needs are to see and be seen in non-extreme situations, but
    > including some unlit areas.
    > So what are the cheapest effective and convenient lights to go for in
    > the shops?

    For being seen, I like S-Sun lights:
    http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=148

    If you want a 'big rig' just visit the LBS. Setups like the one below
    are common and effective:
    http://www.brunswickstreetcycles.com.au/shop/accessories/?MarketID=29&ProductID=207

    I have the VistaLite NiMH Nightstick setup which is a similar but older
    design. They work a treat for general commuting and have done a couple
    of Kona24's.

    hippy

  5. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 at 06:47 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
    > If you want a 'big rig' just visit the LBS. Setups like the one below
    > are common and effective:
    > http://www.brunswickstreetcycles.com.au/shop/accessories/?MarketID=29&ProductID=207
    >
    > I have the VistaLite NiMH Nightstick setup which is a similar but older
    > design. They work a treat for general commuting and have done a couple
    > of Kona24's.

    I think I am going to give up my wish to construct my own.

    I was just looking at http://www.brunswickstreetcycles.com.au/shop/accessories/?MarketID=29&ProductID=206
    Anyone have experience with:
    Torch $195 475g
    -Single Bar Mount
    -15W/1.6Hr burn time
    -4Ah NiMH Bottle battery

    I'd still like to have one where I could tap the 12V and send it off
    to a rear light.

    I've told them and told them: Temporal anomalies are different from
    spatial anomalies. But the kittens know better. They laugh at my
    feeble attempts to fool them. -- [email protected]

  6. Joel Mayes

    Joel Mayes Guest

    On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 04:34:26PM +1100, p_b_floyd wrote:

    > Though much impressed by the DIYers' knowledge and efforts, I lack the
    > time and confidence to give it a go.
    > My needs are to see and be seen in non-extreme situations, but
    > including some unlit areas.
    > So what are the cheapest effective and convenient lights to go for in
    > the shops?
    > Thanks

    Any *white* LED light with a flashing mode and more then one LED should
    be fine, don't get one of those single LED flashers as they are ment to
    be an emergency backup light only and are *hard* to see (I've had
    several near collisions with one cyclist using one of these at night).

    Don't get a green or orange LED, they are also hard to see, and won't
    stop the police giving you a fine for riding without lights, in Victoria
    atleast the law require a white light out front and a red light out
    back.

    Cheers

    Joel

  7. "p_b_floyd" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:p[email protected]

    > Though much impressed by the DIYers' knowledge and efforts, I lack the
    > time and confidence to give it a go.
    > My needs are to see and be seen in non-extreme situations, but
    > including some unlit areas.
    > So what are the cheapest effective and convenient lights to go for in
    > the shops?

    Certainly not the cheapest at about $134, but cheaper than the 'big rigs'
    and excellent for commuting/around town use, I like this new Cateye EL-500:
    http://www.cateye.com/en/products/viewProduct.php?modelId=17&catId=7&subCatId=2

    For a great tailight that is visible at 500m in daylight, get the S-Sun:
    http://www.s-sun.com.tw/main-p1.htm

    For a general discussion of the best lighting options:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-86806

    Personally I really can't go past the reliability of a B&M S6 dynamo with
    one of their headlights for commuting/touring and around town use. Again not
    cheapbut damn effective. See St Kilda Cycles:
    http://www.stkildacycles.com.au/dynamos__lights.htm

    Cheers
    Peter

  8. Brett

    Brett Guest

    p_b_floyd wrote:
    > Though much impressed by the DIYers' knowledge and efforts, I lack the
    > time and confidence to give it a go.
    > My needs are to see and be seen in non-extreme situations, but
    > including some unlit areas.
    > So what are the cheapest effective and convenient lights to go for in
    > the shops?
    > Thanks

    After having an old cateye 'C' cell light for ages. On the third night
    after a battery cable you had to strike a match to see if it was on...
    Eventually I got the following for my winter commute:

    1: A little white flashing LED for the front, little bugger that has
    it's own strap that you loop around the handle bars. (about $15 I
    think) Perfect for being seen during twilight, but batteries are about
    $7.00 a pair every 50-60 hours of use which was about every 3 months
    (hmmm, maybe I should mod it to incorporate it into the main lights
    somehow...)

    2: A Sigma Mirage X system. Halogen 5W lowbeam (Spread pattern) and 10W
    high beam (Spot pattern). Comes with a 12v Lead acid battery that sits
    in the bottle cage. Great lights. Much better than *any* of the
    flashing/fixed LED lights I saw on other bikes I went past. You can
    actually ride at 40km/h down dark roads with confidence. Cost me about
    $120. Less than 1/2 the cost of an equivalent Vistalight system.

    3: A generic 5-LED red flashing/fixed rear light. The light's not
    branded and I can't remember the brand on the packaging. If it nearly
    blinds you when you turn it on in the shop, it'll be good enough. Don't
    get one that does any fancy shmancy chase patterns, they are bloody
    useless. Mine runs on 2xAAA batteries that last for ages...

    Like you, I like cheap and good...

    --
    Brett

  9. p_b_floyd wrote:

    > Though much impressed by the DIYers' knowledge and efforts, I lack the
    > time and confidence to give it a go.
    > My needs are to see and be seen in non-extreme situations, but
    > including some unlit areas.
    > So what are the cheapest effective and convenient lights to go for in
    > the shops?
    > Thanks

    www.lumicycle.co.uk are worth a look - I'm happy with those lights.

  10. p_b_floyd