Ready to ride a 29er

cathwood

Guest
When the 29er was delivered to work (I wasn't there). Apparantly the
postman said "She should be in a circus". The girls at work said "We
think she already is".
LOL.

Is it normal practice to name your unicycle then?

> A 29 is great to ride, I have one and have a Big Apple on it, but its
> like a normal uni to ride. A Coker is .....well like a Coker

It seemed quite big to me. But yes, like a normal uni to ride. I nearly
had to cut the frame for it to fit tho (not just the seat post). I don't
think I've got enough leg length for a coker.

Cathy
:cool:

--
cathwood - Lunicyclist

A thought is just a thought.

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

GILD

Guest
cathwood wrote:
> *Is it normal practice to name your unicycle then? *

'no, not really' (http://tinyurl.com/a6uxu)

according to an ex-girlfriend, the obsession with naming inanimate
objects says a whole lot of (mostly unflattering) things about an
individual's state of mind

--
GILD - Waffle-******, Time-bider and JCTK

if you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.--
'alice' (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/custom.html?) 'roosevelt'
(http://tinyurl.com/963jr) 'longworth' (http://tinyurl.com/78ybd)

I feel like a fugitive from the law of averages.-- 'william h mauldin'
(http://www.johnconyers.com/)

...using nietzsche's metaphysics to escape from
christianity...-'metro_tramp on the value of metaphysics'
(http://tinyurl.com/4sjw6)-
it's hard to be sure, and good to be paranoid...john childs on life on
the internet
'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)

Mikefule

Guest
onebyone wrote:
> *Roger Davis rides a Coker and he look pretty short in various photos.
> With a normal Coker frame I think you can cut the seatpost down and
> use a thin seat (like the Viscount). You can also go for longer
> cranks. *

I think Roger's taller than I am. I'm 5' 7" and a bit.

The Viscount seat is thicker than the Miyata.

Longer cranks would make the problem worse - you'd have to reach further
for the pedal at the bottom of its travel.

--
Mikefule - The first cuckoo of unicycling

Sumer is icomen in, loud sing Mikefule!

onebyone

Guest
Year your right. I was only thinking up. I was looking at my KH seat
compared to the Viscount. I have never seen a Myata.

When Cath gets good at her 29 someone close by should lend here a Coker.
They seem hard at first but are really easy after the initial few hours.

--
onebyone

Bill Blogs is an alian!
www.municycle.com.au
onebyone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10014

roadkill

Guest
onebyone Wrote: -...You can also go for longer cranks.-

I believe you meant "Shorter" not longer cranks. Longer cranks on the
down-stroke ( at the six o'clock position) would be even a further
distance from the saddle, and require a greater extension of the leg.
;)

--
roadkill - Crash Test Dummy

...Are the voices in my head bothering you?
roadkill's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9784

Klaas Bil

Guest
On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 11:22:14 -0500, "cathwood" wrote:

>I don't
>think I've got enough leg length for a coker.

Ben Edwards rode a Coker at the age of 9. A certain Gemma from the UK
rides a Coker, she is about 5' tall.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"As with all great social movements, the origins of mountain unicycling are unclear. - Hannah Nordhaus (Los Angeles Times)"

s7ev0

Guest
cathwood wrote:
> *Good job my hubby can't see how you're all trying to lead my astray.
> He'd confiscate my computer.
> Cathy *

I thought he was beginning get hooked on your 24" at BUC! Has he given
up?

--
s7ev0 - Here comes the summer!

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there
were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was
to blame but us. Remember accidents? ~ GILD
s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

cathwood

Guest

s7ev0

Guest
cathwood wrote:
> *Er no, still gently learning. To the collection in the garage he
> added one 20" generic cheapy from ebay.
>
> :D
>
> Cathy *

Hey, don't knock 'em! Apart from a new seat stem, new seat and new
pedals, I'm still creaking around on my 20" generic cheapy from ebay.

hmmmm, but i think you knew that, didn't you......

--

cathwood wrote:
> *I wasn't knocking them. For thirty odd quid, it's a bargain. Far
> better than destroying an expensive uni through extreme learning.
> Cathy *

Hmm, as a teacher, I like the sound of the expression "extreme learning"
- sounds like it could give school that extra bit of "street cred".

Researching a project while muni-ing? Investigating the blood
circulation using your own from pedal bites?

--
s7ev0 - Here comes the summer!

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there
were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was
to blame but us. Remember accidents? ~ GILD
s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

rob

Guest
Cathy;

Well how are you mounting your 29er? Is it the static mount or the
reverse/roll back mount? Or are you using another one?

Since the rollback is my favourite, I use it on almost all my uni's,
unless the conditions will not allow it, then I use the static mount.
And I found it easy on the 29er! It did take a few times though, in the
beginning, like everything on the uni does!

As you have said the rollback is your main mount, I was wondering if you
have mastered the rollback/reverse mount for your 29er yet?

Rob

--
rob - Number of times over = Proficiency
rob's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6495

cathwood

Guest
At the moment I'm using the pulling myself up by my car mount. I haven't
had the opportunity to ride it much as I want to get a bit more
confindent before I try to ride it around here as these streets are more
suited to Muni.
I don't do anything quickly.
But initially I will be aiming for the roll back mount. I can't get my
head around the other one. even on a smaller uni.
Cathy

--

rob wrote:
> *Cathy;
>
> Well how are you mounting your 29er? Is it the static mount or the
> reverse/roll back mount? Or are you using another one?
>
> Since the rollback is my favourite, I use it on almost all my uni's,
> unless the conditions will not allow it, then I use the static mount.
> And I found it easy on the 29er! It did take a few times though, in
> the beginning, like everything on the uni does!
>
> As you have said the rollback is your main mount, I was wondering if
> you have mastered the rollback/reverse mount for your 29er yet?
>
> Rob *

Thanks Rob xxxx
Inspired by your post, I went out and tried to freemount. And I did!!!
Hurray. I thought it would take weeks to learn. And it probably would
have done if I had battled to learn a new freemount 1st.
I mounted with the rollback, I found I need a bit more of a hop up than
usual but the main thing is getting the pedals out of the dead space
quick enough to stop myself falling forward. This seems to be solved by
rolling back a bit more than usual.
I can't do it all the time, but then I can only freemount the 20" about
80% of the time. Not bad for a first go.
I can also dismount gracefully with the unicycle in front (as they say).

I'm over the moon. I thought it would take me a while to learn to ride
it.
Cathy