Ready to ride a 29er

cathwood wrote:
> * hubby's complaining that I'm cluttering up the house with uni's *

Happy to look after them for you in between BUCs... :D

--
s7ev0 - Here comes the summer!

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there
were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was
to blame but us. Remember accidents? ~ GILD
s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

quote:
Originally posted by cathwood
snip... hubby's complaining that I'm cluttering up the house with uni's

stevenbrandist answered:

-Wall brackets!-

Wouldn't you have to drug him first?

--
roadkill - Crash Test Dummy

" Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines. "
roadkill's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9784

Solutions:

Pole barn
Give him your extra uni.
Suggest that he get a motorcycle.
Suggest he take a wheel of the Dodge.
Get him a trailer to go in when he objects to you choise in home
decor.
"Honey, riding really helps my moods"

There should always be room for one more wheel.

What a happy predicament to be in.
Good luck!
Blake

--
podzol - AKA Dr. BoBo
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

To infinity and beyond!!!

I rode 4 miles for the 1st time today. It was a lovely evening. 1st time
in about a month that it hasn't been too windy to ride along the prom.
Last time I did it I went about 3 miles - but with loads of UPD's.
Tonight - not UPD's. And I did discover that there is an advantage in
many UPD's - everything in contact with the saddle got numb after about
1.5 miles.
Will cycle shorts help this? Or practice? Or just rests?
The only trouble was that the onza seemed so slow. I know what I need. A
bigger wheel. Yeah!
Cathy

--
cathwood - Lunicyclist

A thought is just a thought.

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

It's a while since I posted regularly in this forum, so some of you may
not know me. I used to ride a Coker quite hard - regular 10 - 20 mile
rides on and off road. I used to do regular long rides on the 28 and
even on a 24.

The Coker is easier to keep rolling, but harder to control in a tight
situation.

A 29 is easier to ride than a 28.

28s and 29s are the same thing except for the tyre. The rim is 700c
which is nominally 700 mm diameter. A fat tyre makes for 29 inch
rolling diameter. A thin tyre makes for 28 inches rolling diameter.

The heavier tyre gives a smoother more predictable ride. The thinner
lighter tyre has no advantages except elegance and grace. My pipe dream
is to get a super skinny road wheel. No practical advantages
whatsoever, but really elegant.

On UK roads, the 28/29 is a safer bet when mixing with traffic. A UPD
from a Coker is a potential disaster - a Coker can go for a long way on
its own.

Regard a 28 or 29 as a big 24, not a small Coker.

The answer to saddle soreness is to get used to it. Pedal smoothly and
reasonably briskly. Wear padded shorts, preferably inside padded longs.
No underwear - the seams dig in. The more you do it, the less you
notice the pain. I've done 2 hours without a dismount. 30 minutes
without a dismount should be easy.

On my Coker I have a standard Viscount seat. On my 28, a standard
Miyata seat.

--
Mikefule - The first cuckoo of unicycling

Sumer is icomen in, loud sing Mikefule!

A little late to this thread, but I meant to comment a few days ago:

I was fortunate enough to meet up with U-Turn a couple of months ago
when I was trying to decide on what size bigger wheel I wanted. Just
guessing, I thought I'd go with a 26" wheel, but Dave said he'd bring
along a 29er and a Coker, too. I tried all three and found, after just
a couple of minutes each on the 26" and the 29er, that I LOVED the 29er.
The 26 was OK, but I felt so comfortable and stable on the 29er and it
went fast, but not crazy fast. The only other uni I have ever ridden up
to that point was my little 20" Torker LX.

Then I tried to get on the Coker. Steveyo and Dave had to help me to
even get on it. I didn't even go one pedal stroke. It totally freaked
me out!

Off to vacay. TTFN..

--
digigal1 - Level 1 on a good day

Raphael never stopped being my hero.
digigal1's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5848

digigal1 wrote:
> *
> Then I tried to get on the Coker. Steveyo and Dave had to help me to
> even get on it. I didn't even go one pedal stroke. It totally
> freaked me out!
> *

Don't be afraid of the big bad Coker. It just takes courage to set off.
Within minutes, you'll be riding it comfortably. Fantastic feeling.
In some ways, Cokers are too easy to ride.

--
Mikefule - The first cuckoo of unicycling

Sumer is icomen in, loud sing Mikefule!

I totally agree with Mikefule. It is a scary feeling at first, but
do-able, and totally rewarding.

Cathy, any chance you can hook up with someone with a coker if you are
entertaining the thought? You haven't said much about it on the thread,
so maybe it is out of the question.

It takes a knack that comes soon after you get up. Don't expect to
freemount it right away, either. But It sounds as if you're plenty
skilled to succeed!

Blake

--
podzol - AKA Dr. BoBo
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

I've ordered it. It should come on Tuesday. (Much to the amusement of
the office staff at work, and the postman who said about my last uni a
few weeks ago - "it's for the one who always gets them".
I'm feeling slightly nervous.
How on earth will I get on?
Cathy

--
cathwood - Lunicyclist

A thought is just a thought.

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

It's from UDCUK. Nimbus 29". Because i couldn't decide which tyre to get
- I like the knobbly tyre on my onza, even for road riding, but reading
the thread on the tyre for the 29" made me wonder if this was the right
choice. So in the end I bought it with the Big Apple tyre and ordered
the Kenza tyre that's on the KH 29" so I can see which one I like best.
I also ordered it with 150mm cranks cos I felt the need for more
control
The only other 29" on UDCUk was the KH & I'm too short for it
:)
Cathy

--

cathwood wrote:
> *
> How on earth will I get on?
> Cathy *

"Get on"? A certain amount of syntactical ambiguity there. Mount or
manage?:p

The moving pedant strikes, and having struck moves on...

Mounting: quite easy. If you're unsure, mount against a wall or pole
then get used to the feel of riding. Then just go for a step up mount
(not a rollback). In some ways, freemounting a big wheel is slightly
easier than a smaller twitchier one.

Managing? You'll soon be confident. Practise low speed riding, and
turns in both directions. Within an hour or two, you'll be looking for
challenging terrain.

Good luck.:)

--

podzol wrote:
> [
> I Just got a 20" Nimbus 2. I love it.

I've got a Nimbus 2 20" too. I love it - it's my inside unicycle. I use
it when I go to my circus club.

Thanks for the good wishes Blake.

> "Get on"? A certain amount of syntactical ambiguity there. Mount or
> manage?

Parapraxis. I'm a bit nervous, I get vertigo.

I'll have to practice the step up mount tho as I can only do the roll
back mount. I did have a little go this morning but got a lite bite from
my onza peddal so I stopped. It was too hot for my 661s.

Thanks.

Cathy

--

cathwood wrote:
> *
> I'll have to practice the step up mount tho as I can only do the roll
> back mount. *

Near (back) crank just below horizontal. Seat in place, hand on front
of seat. Give the slightest of pushes then spring lightly into the
saddle. On a big wheel, the inertia of the wheel makes this easy. The
Momentum of the a big wheel can make a rollback mount tricky.

--
Mikefule - The first cuckoo of unicycling

Sumer is icomen in, loud sing Mikefule!

I have been following your progress and questions on this one
Cathwood!

I also ride a 29" with Big Apple 2.35 and have found mounting with a
roll back mount to be fairly easy (which is my favourite and most used).
I expect you will find the same. On a larger wheeled uni like the 29
you will have to hop slightly straight up as you step on the pedal and
roll back into the mount. It is all a bit slower then what you will
have been used to but you will get it very quckly! And then you can
idle for a rotation or two while you get situated on the uni!

As far as riding goes, I think that your 150mm cranks will be exchanged
for 125's soon enough. The extra torque you get out of 150's will be
offset by the slower turning of the wheel and you will soon want smaller
cranks. 110's are a bit short for me as I like to be able to run out of
a UPD (or stop quickly) and cannot at full speed with 110's. That will
not be an issue with 150's but you will want more speed withiin a half
hour of riding your new uni! The point of a 29 is more manageable speed
and another unit experience, right?!

Good luck and enjoy! You will be glad for the Big Apple, but have a
spare tube handy. I inflate to 40 lbs and get the best of the fat tire
experience without the "crown" drifting complaints I see here on the
forum!

--
rob - Number of times over = Proficiency
rob's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6495