Ready to ride a 29er

Thanks for that Rob.
> I also ride a 29" with Big Apple 2.35 and have found mounting with a
> roll back mount to be fairly easy (which is my favourite and most
> used). I expect you will find the same. On a larger wheeled uni like
> the 29 you will have to hop slightly straight up as you step on the
> pedal and roll back into the mount. It is all a bit slower then what
> you will have been used to but you will get it very quckly! And then
> you can idle for a rotation or two while you get situated on the uni!

Funnily enough I felt that I had to hop up when learning to feemount my
24" after the 20" so maybe it will be similar trying to rollback on the
29er. I'll find out tomorrow or the next day!

I've got a spare pair of 125mm cranks to upgrade to when I feel
confident enough & have trained the LBS to change them.

Cathy

--
cathwood - Lunicyclist

A thought is just a thought.

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

Hurray, it's here.
Unfortunately I was ill the last 2 days so only had the energy to put it
together yesterday. Hubby had to cut the seatpost down - the proportions
lnow ook more like the coker on UDC.
Anyway, I'm feeling gutted today cos it's pouring with rain. I can only
stand and admire it.
trying it for size, it didn't seem as scarey as I thought it may be so I
can't wait to ride.
Cathy

--

rob wrote:
> *
> As far as riding goes, I think that your 150mm cranks will be
> exchanged for 125's soon enough. The extra torque you get out of
> 150's will be offset by the slower turning of the wheel and you will
> soon want smaller cranks. 110's are a bit short for me as I like to
> be able to run out of a UPD (or stop quickly) and cannot at full speed
> with 110's. That will not be an issue with 150's but you will want
> more speed withiin a half hour of riding your new uni! The point of a
> 29 is more manageable speed and another unit experience, right?!
>
> *

I switched from my original 125s to 150s, and stayed with them. I think
for some 150's on a 29-er is a really good set-up.

Here's a thread I posted discussing some positives of longer cranks: -

http://tinyurl.com/a8vfk

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the ******* work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32
onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

-Isn't it a bit slippy? -

For your first ride on the 29er, it may be wise to wait for better
weather.
I think the Big Apple tire would be fine in rain, but without the proper
pedals it could be a slippery maiden voyage (especially if they are
plastic).

By-the-way, I've experimented with tire pressure on the Big Apple (2.35)
and here's what I found works best for me.

At 45 lbs:
The tire the tire felt a little bouncy, and it wanted to drift on
crowned roads. While pedaling, my calf muscles where slightly straining
(much like ridding downhill) - which was an odd sensation. Spinning was
not as smooth and consistent as I would like. Turns were better than
with most tires, but at this pressure it seemed to lack stability.

At 60 lbs (actually 58 lbs cold):
No drifting, or issues with road crown. Spinning was incredibly smooth -
all the way through the stroke. The tire felt like it floated as it
rolled along.
Turns were unbelievably graceful whether they were high-speed, sweeping
turns, or slower tight turns...the tire was handled like a dream.

--
roadkill - Crash Test Dummy

...Are the voices in my head bothering you?
roadkill's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9784

onewheeldave wrote:
> *I switched from my original 125s to 150s, and stayed with them. I
> think for some 150's on a 29-er is a really good set-up.
>
> H *

150's are ideal for big hills. I fitted them 3 weeks ago in preparation
for the 24hr Mountain Mayhem http://tinyurl.com/bwowh the majority of
the 29ers had 150's fitted for the race. Normally I use 125's but have
experimented with 110's with limited success.

Unless your riding serious off road / live in very hilly areas 125's are
probably ideal. From what I remember of Prestatyn I would guess you'll
end on 125's.

As far as damp road is concerned the BA is more lively than dry road but
still pleasant to ride, in my view the critical point is the pedals, if
they are metal spiked it will be fine. However plastic pedals are more
dependent on the tread of your shoes as to how they perform in wet
conditions.

Get out and enjoy it!

Keith

--
keg - Getting fitter
keg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/212

Mikefule wrote:
> *It's a while since I posted regularly in this forum*

and we've been missing our regular Fule-Fix
cathwood wrote:
> *the postman who said about my last uni a few weeks ago - "it's for
> the one who always gets them".*

the ultimate compliment

--
GILD - Waffle-******, Time-bider and JCTK

if you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.--
'alice' (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/custom.html?) 'roosevelt'
(http://tinyurl.com/963jr) 'longworth' (http://tinyurl.com/78ybd)

I feel like a fugitive from the law of averages.-- 'william h mauldin'
(http://www.johnconyers.com/)

...using nietzsche's metaphysics to escape from
christianity...-'metro_tramp on the value of metaphysics'
(http://tinyurl.com/4sjw6)-
it's hard to be sure, and good to be paranoid...john childs on life on
the internet
'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)

I've had a go. woohoo, I can ride it. Just about. I'll have a bit of
practice in the carpark and then I'm sure I'll be fine.
It feels great. Even more like flying. There's a bit further to UPD but
I'm sure I'll get the knack.
Cathy

--
cathwood - Lunicyclist

A thought is just a thought.

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

u're going to have to call her Sharona now

--

cathwood wrote:
> *Don't understand.
> Cathy *

I don't understand the "Sharona" comment.

For the amusing syntactical ambiguity, read what you wrote.

<There's a bit further to UPD but I'm sure I'll get the knack. >

A literal reading of this would be that it's a bit further to UPD, but
with practice, you will get the knack - of UPD-ing. (Obviously you
meant the knack of riding.)

I'm not being pedantic, I'm being nitpicking - a subtle distinction, but
worth making.

No offence.:)

--
Mikefule - The first cuckoo of unicycling

Sumer is icomen in, loud sing Mikefule!

"My Sharona" I believe was recorded by "The Knack"

I have been known to be wrong about these things though, particularly on
quiz nights.

--
s7ev0 - Here comes the summer!

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there
were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was
to blame but us. Remember accidents? ~ GILD
s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

No offence taken, just gentle amusement.
I suppose I'm a bit sloppy with my language - as long as I think you'll
know what I mean that's enough for me.
I'm sure I'll give you enough nits to pick to keep you happy Mikefule.
;)

Cathy

Ps, thanks for the explanation, Steve

--

s7ev0 wrote:
> *"My Sharona" I believe was recorded by "The Knack"
> *

'quite' (http://www.knack.com/)

a rather hamfisted attempt at humour considering the level of linguistic
cut-and-thrust jokes that have been flying around this thread for a
while, but it was friday
and i do think u should call her 'Sharona'
or 'Beverley'

don't even try, beverley is simply the most arbitrary female name i
could think of at the time and i simply add it there in an attempt to
completely abolish the impression that i'm trying to name another
person's uni on their behalf. the fact that the bassist married a woman
named 'beverley' is -entirely- accidental - and probably untrue hey,
it' monday morning and i haven't had my coffee yet

--
GILD - Waffle-******, Time-bider and JCTK

if you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.--
'alice' (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/custom.html?) 'roosevelt'
(http://tinyurl.com/963jr) 'longworth' (http://tinyurl.com/78ybd)

I feel like a fugitive from the law of averages.-- 'william h mauldin'
(http://www.johnconyers.com/)

...using nietzsche's metaphysics to escape from
christianity...-'metro_tramp on the value of metaphysics'
(http://tinyurl.com/4sjw6)-
it's hard to be sure, and good to be paranoid...john childs on life on
the internet
'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)

GILD Wrote: -a rather hamfisted attempt at humour considering the level
of linguistic cut-and-thrust jokes that have been flying around this
thread for a while...-

It's nice to see a bit of cerebral wit, instead of harsh humor that can
cut into the heart.

Nice... ;)

--
roadkill - Crash Test Dummy

...Are the voices in my head bothering you?
roadkill's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9784

Hi Cath,

thats great that you have your 29" uni. Make up those wall hooks soon,
as you will lye in bed wondering, wondering, wondering... whats a Coker
like to ride.

A 29 is great to ride, I have one and have a Big Apple on it, but its
like a normal uni to ride. A Coker is .....well like a Coker
:).

I am not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, not at all. Learning and
experimenting is what its all about. I bet you will have a similar Coker
thread soon and the postman will just shake his head again.

Good luck

--
onebyone

Bill Blogs is an alian!