Ready to try clipless

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Chris King, Mar 8, 2003.

  1. Chris King

    Chris King Guest

    I bought my first Mtn bike last year. I got the K2 Lauch 4.0. It came with Shimano m505 clipless
    pedals. I took them off and installed some Azonic platforms so I could first learn how to ride. Well
    I still can't ride but I'm ready to try some clipless pedals. My question is will the 505's work
    good for a beginner or should I try a better model or different brand? I live in Washington so I
    ride in mud a lot. Also do you have any suggestions on the best way to get used to clipless pedals?
    Thanks for your help.

    CK

    Tags:

  2. > can't ride but I'm ready to try some clipless pedals. My question is will the 505's work good for
    > a beginner or should I try a better model or different brand? I live in Washington so I ride in
    > mud a lot. Also do you have any suggestions on the best way to get used to clipless pedals? Thanks
    > for your help.

    Crank Brothers Eggbeaters are good for mud. 505's are NOT! Ride around in traffic with clipless so
    when you fall, you'll slap yourself even harder to remind yourself of the technique.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Chris King" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I bought my first Mtn bike last year. I got the K2 Lauch 4.0. It came with Shimano m505 clipless
    > pedals. I took them off and installed some Azonic platforms so I could first learn how to ride.
    > Well I still can't ride but I'm ready to try some clipless pedals. My question is will the 505's
    > work good for a beginner or should I try a better model or different brand? I live in Washington
    > so I ride in mud a lot. Also do you have any suggestions on the best way to get used to clipless
    > pedals? Thanks for your help.
    >
    > CK

    Lots of dope slaps Chris. Try riding at the seminary for practice. Where in Wa are you? You can hook
    up with us. We go out with newbies and break them in gently..

    Bob

  4. mtbnewz

    mtbnewz Guest

    I'd go for the egg beaters too...excellent pedals.

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > can't ride but I'm ready to try some clipless pedals. My question is will the 505's work good
    > > for a beginner or should I try a better model or different brand? I live in Washington so I ride
    > > in mud a lot. Also do you have any suggestions on the best way to get used to clipless pedals?
    > > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Crank Brothers Eggbeaters are good for mud. 505's are NOT! Ride around
    in
    > traffic with clipless so when you fall, you'll slap yourself even harder
    > remind yourself of the technique.
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

  5. "Chris King" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I bought my first Mtn bike last year. I got the K2 Lauch 4.0. It came with Shimano m505 clipless
    > pedals. I took them off and installed some Azonic platforms so I could first learn how to ride.
    > Well I still can't ride but I'm ready to try some clipless pedals. My question is will the 505's
    > work good for a beginner or should I try a better model or different brand? I live in Washington
    > so I ride in mud a lot. Also do you have any suggestions on the best way to get used to clipless
    > pedals? Thanks for your help.
    >
    > CK
    In the very rare cases I get into mud, shimano pedals have not been stellar, and these were a
    "better" model than you have. Still, you can use your current pedals to learn to how to operate
    clipless. The trick is not really doing it, anyone who has the coordination to ride a bike can
    rotate their heel outwards and unclip from all clipless pedals. The real trick is doing it without
    thinking about it, no brain activity is involved :) IMHO, only plenty of miles and unfortunatly, a
    couple of silly falls are going to get you there. Put them on a bike and ride around bike paths,
    roads and some not to dangerous trails. Soon unclipping will become second nature.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

  6. Darsh

    Darsh Guest

    "Chris King" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I bought my first Mtn bike last year. I got the K2 Lauch 4.0. It came with Shimano m505 clipless
    > pedals. I took them off and installed some Azonic platforms so I could first learn how to ride.
    > Well I still can't ride but I'm ready to try some clipless pedals. My question is will the 505's
    > work good for a beginner or should I try a better model or different brand? I live in Washington
    > so I ride in mud a lot. Also do you have any suggestions on the best way to get used to clipless
    > pedals? Thanks for your help.
    >
    > CK

    The pedals are fine to learn on. ANY pedal is fine to learn on. Go use the pedals.

    darsh

  7. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 05:16:06 GMT, Chris King wrote:
    > will the 505's work good for a beginner or should I try a better model or different brand? I live
    > in Washington so I ride in mud a lot.

    Those are fine. If you find they get clogged with mud a lot, you can try some other pedals. I'm in
    Oregon so we get our share of mud, and I'm still using my old Shimanos.

    > do you have any suggestions on the best way to get used to clipless pedals? Thanks for your help.

    Just stick to easy trails for awhile until clipping out doesn't require such a conscious effort.

  8. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Chris King wrote:
    > I bought my first Mtn bike last year. I got the K2 Lauch 4.0. It came with Shimano m505 clipless
    > pedals. I took them off and installed some Azonic platforms so I could first learn how to ride.
    > Well I still can't ride but I'm ready to try some clipless pedals. My question is will the 505's
    > work good for a beginner or should I try a better model or different brand? I live in Washington
    > so I ride in mud a lot. Also do you have any suggestions on the best way to get used to clipless
    > pedals? Thanks for your help.
    >
    > CK

    heh, Washington is A BIG state. You must mean the We(s)t side.

    penny

  9. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 05:16:06 GMT, [email protected] (Chris King) wrote:

    >I bought my first Mtn bike last year. I got the K2 Lauch 4.0. It came with Shimano m505 clipless
    >pedals. I took them off and installed some Azonic platforms so I could first learn how to ride.
    >Well I still can't ride but I'm ready to try some clipless pedals. My question is will the 505's
    >work good for a beginner or should I try a better model or different brand? I live in Washington so
    >I ride in mud a lot. Also do you have any suggestions on the best way to get used to clipless
    >pedals? Thanks for your help.
    >
    >CK

    Don't know about the 505's but going clipless in general will open up many more riding
    possibilities. This is not a HO, but fact!

    Peace, Bill

    :-]

  10. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Chris King" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I bought my first Mtn bike last year. I got the K2 Lauch 4.0. It came with Shimano m505 clipless
    > pedals. I took them off and installed some Azonic platforms so I could first learn how to ride.
    > Well I still can't ride but I'm ready to try some clipless pedals. My question is will the 505's
    > work good for a beginner or should I try a better model or different brand? I live in Washington
    > so I ride in mud a lot. Also do you have any suggestions on the best way to get used to clipless
    > pedals? Thanks for your help.
    >
    > CK

    Like everyone already said, there isn't a better clipless pedal in the mud than the Eggbeater...but
    they aren't good for beginners, as you cannot adjust spring tension (on a Shit-mano pedal, you can
    loosen the clip part to the point that you can pull out of the pedal, rather than twist out, in an
    emergency...this saves ankles while you learn).

    ...And am I the only one who found it hilarious that a dude named Chris King just got his first atb?

    Chris

  11. "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    | Like everyone already said, there isn't a better clipless pedal in the mud than the
    | Eggbeater...but they aren't good for beginners, as you cannot adjust spring tension (on a
    | Shit-mano pedal, you can loosen the clip part to the point that you can pull out of the pedal,
    | rather than twist out, in an emergency...this saves ankles while you learn).

    And Eggbeaters/Times aren't good for some non-beginners due to the amount of rotation needed
    to release.

    I love my Shitmanos and would never switch to Times/Eggbeaters.

    --
    Pete Fagerlin

    Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

  12. On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 03:03:07 +0000, Chris did issue forth:

    > ...And am I the only one who found it hilarious that a dude named Chris King just got his
    > first atb?

    I'm somewhat amazed that you're the first to point it out really.