Ready to try clipless

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris King

I bought my first Mtn bike last year. I got the K2 Lauch 4.0. It came with Shimano m505 clipless
pedals. I took them off and installed some Azonic platforms so I could first learn how to ride. Well
I still can't ride but I'm ready to try some clipless pedals. My question is will the 505's work
good for a beginner or should I try a better model or different brand? I live in Washington so I
ride in mud a lot. Also do you have any suggestions on the best way to get used to clipless pedals?
Thanks for your help.

CK

> can't ride but I'm ready to try some clipless pedals. My question is will the 505's work good for
> a beginner or should I try a better model or different brand? I live in Washington so I ride in
> mud a lot. Also do you have any suggestions on the best way to get used to clipless pedals? Thanks
> for your help.

Crank Brothers Eggbeaters are good for mud. 505's are NOT! Ride around in traffic with clipless so
when you fall, you'll slap yourself even harder to remind yourself of the technique.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Chris King" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I bought my first Mtn bike last year. I got the K2 Lauch 4.0. It came with Shimano m505 clipless
> pedals. I took them off and installed some Azonic platforms so I could first learn how to ride.
> Well I still can't ride but I'm ready to try some clipless pedals. My question is will the 505's
> work good for a beginner or should I try a better model or different brand? I live in Washington
> so I ride in mud a lot. Also do you have any suggestions on the best way to get used to clipless
> pedals? Thanks for your help.
>
> CK

Lots of dope slaps Chris. Try riding at the seminary for practice. Where in Wa are you? You can hook
up with us. We go out with newbies and break them in gently..

Bob

I'd go for the egg beaters too...excellent pedals.

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > can't ride but I'm ready to try some clipless pedals. My question is will the 505's work good
> > for a beginner or should I try a better model or different brand? I live in Washington so I ride
> > in mud a lot. Also do you have any suggestions on the best way to get used to clipless pedals?
> > Thanks for your help.
>
> Crank Brothers Eggbeaters are good for mud. 505's are NOT! Ride around
in
> traffic with clipless so when you fall, you'll slap yourself even harder
to
> remind yourself of the technique.
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

> I bought my first Mtn bike last year. I got the K2 Lauch 4.0. It came with Shimano m505 clipless
> pedals. I took them off and installed some Azonic platforms so I could first learn how to ride.
> Well I still can't ride but I'm ready to try some clipless pedals. My question is will the 505's
> work good for a beginner or should I try a better model or different brand? I live in Washington
> so I ride in mud a lot. Also do you have any suggestions on the best way to get used to clipless
>
> CK
In the very rare cases I get into mud, shimano pedals have not been stellar, and these were a
"better" model than you have. Still, you can use your current pedals to learn to how to operate
clipless. The trick is not really doing it, anyone who has the coordination to ride a bike can
rotate their heel outwards and unclip from all clipless pedals. The real trick is doing it without
thinking about it, no brain activity is involved :) IMHO, only plenty of miles and unfortunatly, a
couple of silly falls are going to get you there. Put them on a bike and ride around bike paths,
roads and some not to dangerous trails. Soon unclipping will become second nature.
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

>
> CK

The pedals are fine to learn on. ANY pedal is fine to learn on. Go use the pedals.

darsh

On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 05:16:06 GMT, Chris King wrote:
> will the 505's work good for a beginner or should I try a better model or different brand? I live
> in Washington so I ride in mud a lot.

Those are fine. If you find they get clogged with mud a lot, you can try some other pedals. I'm in
Oregon so we get our share of mud, and I'm still using my old Shimanos.

> do you have any suggestions on the best way to get used to clipless pedals? Thanks for your help.

Just stick to easy trails for awhile until clipping out doesn't require such a conscious effort.

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

Chris King wrote:
>
> CK

heh, Washington is A BIG state. You must mean the We(s)t side.

penny

On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 05:16:06 GMT, [email protected] (Chris King) wrote:

>I bought my first Mtn bike last year. I got the K2 Lauch 4.0. It came with Shimano m505 clipless
>pedals. I took them off and installed some Azonic platforms so I could first learn how to ride.
>Well I still can't ride but I'm ready to try some clipless pedals. My question is will the 505's
>work good for a beginner or should I try a better model or different brand? I live in Washington so
>I ride in mud a lot. Also do you have any suggestions on the best way to get used to clipless
>pedals? Thanks for your help.
>
>CK

Don't know about the 505's but going clipless in general will open up many more riding
possibilities. This is not a HO, but fact!

Peace, Bill

The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

>
> CK

Like everyone already said, there isn't a better clipless pedal in the mud than the Eggbeater...but
they aren't good for beginners, as you cannot adjust spring tension (on a ****-mano pedal, you can
loosen the clip part to the point that you can pull out of the pedal, rather than twist out, in an
emergency...this saves ankles while you learn).

...And am I the only one who found it hilarious that a dude named Chris King just got his first atb?

Chris

"Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message

| Like everyone already said, there isn't a better clipless pedal in the mud than the
| Eggbeater...but they aren't good for beginners, as you cannot adjust spring tension (on a
| ****-mano pedal, you can loosen the clip part to the point that you can pull out of the pedal,
| rather than twist out, in an emergency...this saves ankles while you learn).

And Eggbeaters/Times aren't good for some non-beginners due to the amount of rotation needed
to release.

I love my Shitmanos and would never switch to Times/Eggbeaters.

--
Pete Fagerlin

Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 03:03:07 +0000, Chris did issue forth:

> ...And am I the only one who found it hilarious that a dude named Chris King just got his
> first atb?

I'm somewhat amazed that you're the first to point it out really.

--
Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail

Status
Not open for further replies.