Reagent grade ammonia to repel dogs?

"H" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Pepper spray, or any other weapon, creates a false sense of security.
> One is better off avoiding known dicey situations.

The weapons I own create a very REAL sense of security.

> In any case, the only way you can really use the stuff is if you are
> not moving, or the dog is behind you. It would be quite stupid to
> attempt to fire the pepper spray at something in front of you while
> you are on a moving bike.

OK, so you stop.

> There are all kinds of senarious that are possible, but in most
> situations, one is better off by just accelerating past the threat or
> avoiding it entirely.

If you want to allow a dog to decide where you can ride, go ahead. But I'm
not going to.

Dave

Having suffered permanent damage after coming off my bike while being
chased by dogs, I am all for permanently damaging the dogs. I would not
use reagent grade ammonia because of the danger to yourself: it is nasty
stuff. Make a mixture of pickling (7%) vinegar and habanero peppers.
Don't fall off trying to spray the dogs.

Zoot Katz wrote:

> Mon, 20 Sep 2004 02:15:37 GMT,
> <[email protected]>, "David Pintos"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I've read somewhere that reagent grade
> >ammonia works best to repel those nasty dogs.... Thanks.

> Read it again. Reagent grade ammonia is used as last resort to
> break-up dog fights in the show arenas. A towel is soaked in it and
> thrown over the dog's head.
>
> Do not squirt or spray dogs with ammonia as it can cause permanent
> damage. Use vinegar or a commercial preparation like Halt.
> --
> zk

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:56:15 -0500, <[email protected]>, David
Forbes <[email protected]> wrote:

>Having suffered permanent damage after coming off my bike while being
>chased by dogs, I am all for permanently damaging the dogs.

My friend's father died riding head on into pick-up truck while
replacing his can of Halt in its handy holster.
--
zk