Real Bike Cities.

Stephen Harding <[email protected]>:

>Wolfgang Strobl wrote:
>
>> Stephen Harding <[email protected]>:
>>
>> Ouch. I've visited the Netherlands a few times by car, in
>> my youth, and was impressed, too. The "Dutch model" is
>> indeed impressing to non-cyclists.
> >
>> Visiting the Netherlands again later, I found it rather
>> depressing. I can do happily without a car, here
>> (actually, we did, for about six years), but I wouldn't
>> try that under similar circumstances (children, schools,
>> two jobs, long commute for one of us, ..) in the
>> Netherlands. No way.
>
>I would regard myself as a cyclist.

Sure. I was merely telling about my own experience as both a
cyclist and a motorist. It makes a lot of difference whether
you view some infrastructure as an everyday user or as a
tourist, and it makes some difference whether your main mode
of transport is the bicycle or the car.

>I was still impressed with Dutch bicycling
>infrastructure. I rode quite a distance during my visit
>to that country. I would not be reluctant to have wife
>and family ride those facilities either as recreation or
>for transportation needs.

That's a common slip of logic in this kind of discussions. A
tourist on a bicycle is free in what destinations to head
for and which routes to take. He or she usually invests
quite a lot of time to plan routes, in order to select only
those which are safe, friedly and rewarding. A commuter, on
the other hand, can't simply change to another job for two
months in winter, because somebody has choosen to use the
scenic route as a deposit for trash, snow or construction
tools. A mother can't carry her child to a different school
because the picturesque bike path through the park has
become known as a insider's tip for rapists. Etc.

>But perhaps that was just the area I happened to be
>visiting.

It was because you where visiting the place, not
living there.

>>>I'm willing to ride the road, bike path or bike lane as
>>>mood and need require. Although I think I understand the
>>>argument against these "separate but equal" sorts of bike
>>>accommodations, I largely disagree with them.
>>
>> I understand your reasoning and believe it to be
>> completely wrong.
>
>I know for a fact, at least here in the US, that narrowing
>road lanes (for cars) causes them to slow down. It's a
>trick used by civil (road) engineers for further protecting
>pedestrians at cross walks, as well as providing safety for
>bicyclists on the roads.

Alas, it doesn't work that way. Roads are built to
standards, around here, a lane has to be wide enough to
allow for trucks, busses and other wide and long vehicles. A
road engineer just can't narrow it enough to have an effect
on driveres of typical passenger cars.

In addition, a stripe on the pavement doesn't make a road
narrow, nor does it make it wider. All it can do is to
deprive the cyclist of the right to position himself
properly on the road. There is another effect, shown in htt-
p://www.mystrobl.de/ws/fahrrad/rwbilder/radstreifen6/01_1.h-
tml These slides are German, to, but the pictures speak for
themselves. Just click on the picture in order to get to the
next slide.

Another defect produced by arranging and separating vehicles
by the type of engine (instead of direction and speed, as
usual) is that we get turing traffic on the wrong side of
traffic heading forward. An alarming percentage of bicycling
fatalities around here are people dying under the double
tires of a truck turing right. One hasn't have to be a cynic
in order to notice that this mostly happens to
inexperiienced and insecure cyclists - those which are often
(mis)used as a justification for such traps.

>I can personally attest to the *much improved* riding
>experience on my commute when my home town converted a four
>lane state highway coming into town, into a two lane
>highway with very broad "breakdown lane/bike path".

You seem to have plenty of space and few cars over there.
It doesn't work that way around here. Usually, "converting
a road" means that bicyclists find themselves on the very
same space which was reserved to pedestrians, before the
conversion. Before the conversion which happened in '97,
the four lane road shown in
http://www.mystrobl.de/ws/fahrrad/rwbilder/rwarg03a.jpg
(two lanes per direction) had the very same layout than
what it has now.

But even in cases where converting from two lanes to one
makes sense from a road engineers point of view (like in the
road shown in the first link, the one with the wet bicycle
lane - that one could become easily converted to singel
lane, because it narrows down later, anyway), and where a
naive and narrow look on the scene seems to indicate the
change to be an advancement for the cyclist, in actual fact
it is not.

It certainly looks nice on paper (forget the dirt on the
bike lane, for a moment), but the cyclists actually _using_
this facility immediatly notices a lot to be wrong. To
begin with, parking space, especially space for short term
parking is scarce ressource, there. Before the conversion,
both of the two lanes were free, clean and useable. Slower
traffice used the right lan, faster traffice used the left
lane for overtaking.. Now it is quite different. It didn't
take long for people to notice that such a space is ideal
for short time parking. Traffic on the left (now single)
lane is as fast as always, but now cyclists have to drive
around obstacles and to merge with fast traffic every few
hundred meter.

When I consider how long and fiercly our local bicycling
club fought for this mess, it really could convert me
into a cynic.

>That improvement certainly exists in the psychology of
>riding that stretch of road. I believe there has been a
>reduction not only of (very rare) bicycle/car accidents,
>but more so in accidents between cars. It was a bike lane
>"done right".

Perhaps, I haven't seen it, so I'll have to take your
word for it. Well, you said that some of the improvement
may exist (only) in the psychology. So please allow me to
have doubts and reserver judgement. I have listened to
descriptions of bicycle facilities "done right" often
enough, which emergied as nice on the surface, but as a
rats nest of traps, when I had the chance of taking a
peer at htem..

>>>*Any* arrangement that get more people feeling better
>>>about using a bicycle for transportation needs is a step
>>>in the right direction.
>>
>> Not so. Any delusion, which makes the people feel better,
>> but do worse will drive people away from cycling, in the
>> long run.
>
>Sometimes it may be delusional. If the project is "done
>right", I think it can be shown to be real in a statistical
>sense as well.

Our "Bundesanstalt für Straßenwesen", an official
institution doing traffic research for the gouvernment,
tried this once, by selecting bicylce lanes which met ther
criteria for "good", only. Even these show a heavy increase
in risk at the intersections.

>As someone mentioned, it just depends how well the project
>has been done.

As it seems, it doesn't. Of course, one could always do
worse.

>> You will have to learn that statements like "if there
>> only was a bicycle lane, I certainly would ride to work"
>> usually are nothing but an excuse. If you paint that lane
>> on the road or the sidewalk, you will make cycling more
>> dangerous, less convenient and ineffective for some
>> cyclists, and those people will find another excuse.
>
>Excuses in choosing the car over the bike are probably more
>often focused on convenience over actual personal safety.

Oops. Somehow, I have the feeling of not having stated my
point clearly enough. Of course people often choose the car
over the bike because that choice is convenient. However,
that's not the point. The point being that people asking for
seggregated bicycle facilities aren't looking for
convenience. They are looking for an excuse. The lack of a
necessary facility certainly is a vaild excuse, in their
eyes. In addition, with this specific excuse, they kill two
birds with one stone. They have a convenient reason to
continue to use the car, and see a chance to get rid of
those annoying cyclists, for good measure.

--
Thank you for observing all safety precautions

Frank Krygowski <[email protected]>:

>Wolfgang Strobl wrote:
>
>> Frank Krygowski <[email protected]>:
>>

>>>It must be common to have tourists come through who do
>>>not read German. (As you must know, Americans rarely
>>>speak even two languages.) If an ignorant tourist were to
>>>ride through there on the road, how would they be
>>>treated?
>>

>> Well, it depends. Even now, most German roads don't have
>> a accompanying bicycle lane (Radweg), so having the right
>> to use the road like any user of a vehicle still is the
>> norm rather the exception, around here. Given that
>> slightly more than ten percent of traffic are cyclists,
>> motorists and cyclists are very well accustomed to each
>> other on the road, even on narrow rows which would scare
>> an average American driver to death. Sure, there are
>> jerks on both sides, but these are a small minority.
>>
>> I'm a sporadic, but long time reader in rec.bicylces.
>> From what I read here here in the past, I conclude that
>> American cyclists face a certain amount of harassment on
>> the roads, people honking, shouting or throwing beer cans
>> at cyclists, for examle. Well, the former happens here,
>> too (never heared about somebody throwing cans, though),
>> - in nine of ten times, it's triggered by a bicylce lane
>> giving the motorist the impression of somebody stomping
>> on _his_ ground.
>
>You shouldn't get the wrong impression about riding here.
>Many of us have only very rare expereiences with being
>harassed. As an example, my family and I rode coast to
>coast last year, and had only two moderately unpleasant
>experiences in 4000 miles.

Well, I wouldn't call one unpleasant experience in 4000
miles "very rare". It depents on the degree of
unpleasentness, though.

My point was simply the fact that bicycle facilites,
whether we call them lanes, paths or anything, which look
like "their ground", in contrast to "our ground" from a
motorists perspective, multiply the chances of harassment
for those cyclists who do not use these facilities, for
whatever reason. The effect is very noticeable, and not
very hard to explain.

>> I guess it will happen to tourists, too, because the
>> motorist normally doesn't have a way of detecting the
>> cyclists nationality. It is annoying, especially for a
>> foreigner, to be honked at for no valid reason, but
>> rarely dangerous.
>
>Actually, I wasn't worried about being harassed by ordinary
>drivers. The few times that happens (here, at least) it's
>easily dealt with by just ignoring the jerks.

Sorry, I misundstood your question, then. Well, bicycle
lanes and paths (everything which has a blue sign and is
considered part of the road, by sharing its right of way)
are compulsory in Germany. In principle, there are no
exceptions, but the obligation is not whatertight. A
bicycles may use the road if the bicycle lane/path is
unuseable. Appropriate examples of not being useable are
snow, a trailer which doesn't fit on a narrow lane, or if
the bike path isn't leading into the proper direction. Alas,
inconvenience or the typical hazards on bike ways aren't
appropriate reasons, you have to slow down.

>I was wondering what a passing policeman would do. Would an
>American ignoring a mandatory sidepath be ignored?
>Ticketed? Jailed? Deported? Shot on sight?

Ignored, most of the time. You may have to listen to an
anoiying Phillipic, or even get a ticket (15-30 EUR).

Given that traveling by bike somewhat expensive, at least if
you aren't an ascetic, I'd take as a weird form of road
toll, just pay and forget about it. Be sure to get a proper
receipt and spend another ten EUR on a nice frame, voila, a
pretty and quite inexpensive souvenir which proves that you
rode your bicyle in Germany and took part in local rites.

>FWIW, many years ago we toured Britain. On our first jet-
>lagged day, we took a pleasant little cycle path that ran
>along a river, since it led directly from our B&B into
>town. The few pedestrians we passed were smiling and very
>friendly.

I think packed bicycle tourists are welcome almost
everywhere. This doesn't tell much about how well cyclists
are handled on the roads.

>Only later did we realize that we'd mis-read the sign -
>that a bike with a red circle around it meant bikes
>_forbidden_.

:)

--
Wir danken für die Beachtung aller Sicherheitsbestimmungen

[email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:

>In some ways, riding in predominantly car traffic can
>be more comfortable than riding in predominantly
>bicycle traffic.

I have always been very comfortable riding in automotive
traffic, but it took a while to get used to riding in the
bicycle traffic in Beijing. 7 million bikes on the road
seemingly all at once, probably half of them with
functional brakes.

It was amazing once I did get used to it though - it was
like being in a large school of fish - all of us jinking
right or left depending on the particular need. You could
never relax - there was ALWAYS something that could hurt
you... an open manhole, a bus going south in a northbound
bike lane, large bricks that would be left in the lanes
for days (and all this on unlighted stretches at night all
too often).

Wouldn't have traded it for the world though...

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of
the $695 ti frame

Matt O'Toole wrote:

> Stephen Harding wrote:
>
>>>Not so. Any delusion, which makes the people feel better,
>>>but do worse will drive people away from cycling, in the
>>>long run.
>
> Like those horrible, "door zone" bike lanes in Amherst?

The ones through downtown Amherst are sort of narrow,
although the ones leading south ward actually lead to the
right side of the middle (straight ahead) lane rather than
veering off to the right side of the intersection. That's
unusual in my experience.

The marked bike lanes going along Rt 9 and Smith College
seem to be quite wide enough. The only objection to them
from the biking community that I've heard is that they don't
go far enough. They fizzle out at the end of Smith College.

But the road is plenty wide with or without them, so it
really doesn't matter whether they are there are not for me.
But to many bicyclists, they seemed to have a calming effect
on getting bikes and motor traffic to "get along". Maybe
it's just me.

> Making cars inconvenient can certainly spur bicycle use,
> but that's not the best answer. The real problem is over-
> reliance on transportation itself. The answer to that is
> in urban planning -- discouraging developers from moving
> to the outskirts of town, to build more sprawly, cul-de-
> sacky, auto-dependent slumburbia.

I very much agree. I think there has been a dawning
realization that the way we do cities and suburbs makes for
generally people unfriendly environment. It's great for the
cars, but not really so good for people.

> Again, look at where the highest land values are, and note
> how many more bicycles there are than in the typical
> American suburb. Being able to walk and bike to
> work/school/shopping, etc. is a *luxury,* for which many
> people are willing to pay *lots.* Go over to Northampton,
> and note the home prices within walking distance of
> downtown. One could argue that living there would be
> *less* convenient for the typical, auto-dependent
> American. So there must be value in walkable, bikeable
> neighborhoods.

Absolutely true again. Interestingly, initial resistance
toward the bike path in 'Hamp centered on fears of buglars
carrying off family jewels (by bike??) or people stealing
corn and potatoes from the fields (the Norwottuck bike path
across the valley; again, by bike???).

Now a home near the bike path actually is a selling point!

Where do you ride Matt? You seem very familiar with my
pedaling grounds.

SMH

SMH

Terry Morse wrote:

> Stephen Harding wrote:
>

>>Frank Krygowski wrote:
>>

>>>They're probably dreaming of cute Dutch girls in wooden
>>>shoes in front of windmills, too
>>
>>Whoa momma! The "St Pauli Girl" bike path!
>>
>>Guess who's gonna give biking to work a try today!!!
>
> Nice, but Provo Girl's more my type (even if she
> snowboards):
>
> http://www.ut4ne.com/provo_girl_poster_10-29_enhanced.jpg

Whooo hooo! Looks like an 80 mile bike commute to my office
2 miles away!!!

SMH

[email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
> Mark Hickey <[email protected]> writes:

>> I have always been very comfortable riding in automotive
>> traffic, but it took a while to get used to riding in the
>> bicycle traffic in Beijing. 7 million bikes on the road
>> seemingly all at once, probably half of them with
>> functional brakes.
>>
>> It was amazing once I did get used to it though - it was
>> like being in a large school of fish - all of us jinking
>> right or left depending on the particular need. You could
>> never relax - there was ALWAYS something that could hurt
>> you... an open manhole, a bus going south in a northbound
>> bike lane, large bricks that would be left in the lanes
>> for days (and all this on unlighted stretches at night
>> all too often).
>>
>> Wouldn't have traded it for the world though...
>
>That sounds like a great eye-opening and mind-opening
>experience; I imagine you count yourself fortunate for
>having that. I sure would.
>
>When folks wistfully wish for the 'Amsterdam Model' and
>suchlike bike-path stuff, I wonder if they consider they'd
>be riding among predominantly (or rather, exclusively)
>bicycle traffic, and if they'd /really/ be ready for that?
>
>I'm reminded of that saying about being careful of what one
>wishes for.

Too true. Beijing was NOT the place to get in "racing
shape". Riding speed was pretty much restricted to no more
than a little faster than the rest of the pack (which was at
a fairly pedestrian pace), at least when it was "rush hour".
At best, a training ride would be short intense intervals
across any gaps in the cyclists.

And anyone who thinks pedestrians are unpredictable on MUPs
would be horrified by the random nature of Chinese cyclists
and pedestrians (who often will cross multiple lanes of
automotive roads without a glance to check for traffic).

So in the end, Beijing was a great bicycle city, but not a
great place to approach cycling as a sport (that is, to ride
to get in shape - not necessarily "race").

Stephen Harding wrote:

> Matt O'Toole wrote:

>> Stephen Harding wrote:

>> Like those horrible, "door zone" bike lanes in Amherst?

> The ones through downtown Amherst are sort of narrow,
> although the ones leading south ward actually lead to the
> right side of the middle (straight ahead) lane rather than
> veering off to the right side of the intersection. That's
> unusual in my experience.

Not with well-designed ones on wide roads, like in CA. Bike
lanes there typically leave enough room for a right turn
lane to the right. This is the way it should be. Of course,
many roads are simply not wide enough.

Lately I've been just waiting in line with the cars to go
straight through the intersection, rather than risk being
right hooked at the corner, or trying to beat the first car
across the intersection. So I guess I'm making the point of
the anti-bike-lane people -- if this is the easiest way to
ride on such streets, why have a bike lane at all?

> The marked bike lanes going along Rt 9 and Smith College
> seem to be quite wide enough. The only objection to them
> from the biking community that I've heard is that they
> don't go far enough. They fizzle out at the end of Smith
> College.

> But the road is plenty wide with or without them, so it
> really doesn't matter whether they are there are not for
> me. But to many bicyclists, they seemed to have a calming
> effect on getting bikes and motor traffic to "get along".
> Maybe it's just me.

No, it really does seem to work. I saw a study of a road
where bike lanes were added, and traffic slowed because of
it. I think this is typical with a downtown-style street.
However, I'm told that new bike lanes or fog lines can
increase speeds on highways at night, because the lines make
it easier to see the road.

Because of this, and the previous point, I'm liking those
bicycle symbols stenciled in the street, instead of striped
bike lanes.

>> Making cars inconvenient can certainly spur bicycle use,
>> but that's not the best answer. The real problem is over-
>> reliance on transportation itself. The answer to that is
>> in urban planning -- discouraging developers from moving
>> to the outskirts of town, to build more sprawly, cul-de-
>> sacky, auto-dependent slumburbia.

> I very much agree. I think there has been a dawning
> realization that the way we do cities and suburbs makes
> for generally people unfriendly environment. It's great
> for the cars, but not really so good for people.

>> Again, look at where the highest land values are, and
>> note how many more bicycles there are than in the typical
>> American suburb. Being able to walk and bike to
>> work/school/shopping, etc. is a *luxury,* for which many
>> people are willing to pay *lots.* Go over to Northampton,
>> and note the home prices within walking distance of
>> downtown. One could argue that living there would be
>> *less* convenient for the typical, auto-dependent
>> American. So there must be value in walkable, bikeable
>> neighborhoods.
>
> Absolutely true again. Interestingly, initial resistance
> toward the bike path in 'Hamp centered on fears of buglars
> carrying off family jewels (by bike??) or people stealing
> corn and potatoes from the fields (the Norwottuck bike
> path across the valley; again, by bike???).

> Now a home near the bike path actually is a selling point!

Boy, you'd really have to be hungry to steal potatoes or
corn!

We've had the same issue here. Initially, there's much
resistance to the bike paths, but once they're in, everyone
seems to love them. Again, some of the most expensive homes
here are right along one of the trails. When we're out
riding, someone always seems to comment, "Wouldn't it be
great to have one of these houses right here? Oh well, I
could never afford it..."

> Where do you ride Matt? You seem very familiar with my
> pedaling grounds.

Southwest VA -- Blacksburg, home of VA Tech. In many ways
it's a lot like your area, but with less culture and better
weather. Hillier, too.

My brother lives in Northampton. I've been there a few times
to visit. Love
it. I'll be up there again on the 18th, for a week, and
again in September.

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Absolutely true again. Interestingly, initial resistance
>> toward the bike path in 'Hamp centered on fears of
>> buglars carrying off family jewels (by bike??) or people
>> stealing corn and potatoes from the fields (the
>> Norwottuck bike path across the valley; again, by
>> bike???).
>>
>> Now a home near the bike path actually is a selling
>> point!
>
> We've had the same issue here. Initially, there's much
> resistance to the bike paths, but once they're in,
> everyone seems to love them. Again, some of the most
> expensive homes here are right along one of the trails.
> When we're out riding, someone always seems to comment,
> "Wouldn't it be great to have one of these houses right
> here? Oh well, I could never afford it..."

From what I hear, this is *always* the case when such a path
is proposed. One can only wonder where all those bike thief
stories come from...

(And let's not forget all the terrorists who might
travel on bike.)
--
Frederic Briere <*> [email protected]

=> <[email protected]> IS NO MORE:
=> <http://www.abacomsucks.com> <=

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> Stephen Harding wrote:
>

>>Matt O'Toole wrote:
>
>>Where do you ride Matt? You seem very familiar with my
>>pedaling grounds.
>
> Southwest VA -- Blacksburg, home of VA Tech. In many ways
> it's a lot like your area, but with less culture and
> better weather. Hillier, too.

Yes I'm familiar with the Blacksburg area. My brother used
to go to Radford not too far away.

Definitely hillier than around here, unless you pedal off a
little distance west into the Berkshires.

> My brother lives in Northampton. I've been there a few
> times to visit. Love
> it. I'll be up there again on the 18th, for a week, and
> again in September.

If you've got your bike with you, take a ride up to Old
Deerfield along the western edge of the valley. Come back
along the river via Sunderland and Hatfield.

About 40 miles and the best ride in the area IMHO.

SMH

Stephen Harding wrote:

> If you've got your bike with you, take a ride up to Old
> Deerfield along the western edge of the valley. Come back
> along the river via Sunderland and Hatfield.

> About 40 miles and the best ride in the area IMHO.

I'll definately check it out!

I bought a book, "Backroad Bicycling in Western
Massachusetts," by Andi Marie Cantelle, 2002. It looks like
a great resource, with some nice 40 mile loops, etc.

I hope I'll have my road bike (crashed last week, awaiting
repair/replacement).

Matt O.