Jim 'Parky' Wetherell (inevergiveup.orginevergiveup.orgOpen ↗) , the Parkison's survivor who rode from San
Francisco to Santa Cruz for us last summer as part of our second annual National Mayors' Ride
(nationalbicyclegreenway.comschedule.phpOpen ↗) , forwarded this hysterical
short story (complete with pictures) of two guys who pedaled a 7-foot wide couch across an island
in Canada.
Not only does the thought of someone turning a couch into a pedal bike sound funny enough, but the
madcap adventure that ensues is all too comical. Their encounters with rain, police, barricades and
the crashes they had, found me laughing out loud more than a couple of times.
btw: Parky must have identified with them. Their "machine" weighed in at 95 pounds while the trike
he rode last summer, tho only two and a half feet wide, weighed in at 70 pounds (I love a heavy bike
that can perform well -- my Penninger trike, likes Parky's, makes me stronger especially when the
shorter days give me less time to ride).
btw2: Having ridden a recumbent bike since 1983, and being accused of riding a couch bike for all of
those two decades, I know the two guys above have given a new meaning to the word 'recumbent' bike!
MARTIN KRIEG: "Awake Again" Author c/o BikeRoute.com 79 & 86 TransAms, nonprofit Nat. Bicycle
Greenway CEO
Ever wanted anything so bad U were willing to die for it? Really die? By moving thru clinical death
and reversing paralysis, *I saw God* when I answered that question.