Real Election Reform

From: "Freewheeling" <[email protected]>
>As for the French, well I guess Lance is going for a seventh isn't he?

>(Sorry about wandering off topic again.) Frankly, I wish he'd ride in

the
>Giro. All the major contenders would have to follow him there or be
>considered also-rans in the TdF, and the Giro would become a

significant
>competitor to the TdF for top stage race. Well, it won't happen but

it's a
>thought.

Eh? You heard something more than this sort of thing:

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/apress_011005_armstrongtourdefrance.html

"Frank P. Patterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> Agreed.
>>

>>>Poverty and suffering build character (see point made by Alexandre
>>>Solzhenitsyn).

>> Agreed.
>>

>>>Never paying a real price for one's mistakes leads to emotional
>>>immaturity and poor judgement.

>> Agreed.
>>
>> Mr. Sherman should have been a preacher from the pulpit. No one in this
>> world appreciates bromides more than I do. Unfortunately, I have never
>> heard of anyone who applied a bromide to themselves. It is always for
>> others.
>>

> Just for a more complete understanding of you, what are your positions on:
> Creationism vs Inteligent Design vs Evolution

Evolution of course. What do you take me for - an idiot?

> The second coming or The Rapture

Neither. What nonsense!

> The more natural resources consmued the more there is of them.

False, natural resources are limited no matter what anyone else says.

> The worst creation of God was man, the worst creation of man was God.

The latter of course. This test is just too easy.

> What was the rationale for not 'nuking' Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia
> after 9/11? If it didn't teach them a lesson there wouldn't be so many
> terrorists left.

The US does not nuke anybody unless it is total warfare and our existence is
at stake. Then and only then would I advocate the use of the nuclear option.

We will have to do something about Iran one of these days if they continue
to pursue nuclear weapons. We cannot allow Iran to have nuclear weapons.
They would pass them off to terrorists and that would be the end of the
world as we know it. A surgical strike is what is needed on the order of
what Israel did to Iraq some years ago. I am in favor of war with Iran if
that is what it takes to get them to come to their senses. While we are
about it we could easily take out Syria too, another no good g.d. Muslim
tyranny.

> Are women intelligent beings and do they have rights?

Women are sufficiently different than men so that comparisons are difficult.
Women resemble the Blessed Virgin Mary and men resemble the Devil Incarnate.
Clear enough for you?

> Why are there no dual 24" compact midracers?

See Mr. Sherman's post on this subject. He, along with Robert Bryant of RCN,
is the expert on most things recumbent.

> The morbidly obese, drug addicted Rush Limbaugh states that exercise
> is harmful. Who is correct?

Rush is the typical American as regards his girth. Rush has dozens of crazy
opinions, but he is always entertaining in whatever he says. That is more
than can be said for you.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Frank P. Patterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Edward Dolan wrote:
>>
>>>"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>Agreed.

>>>Agreed.

>>>Agreed.
>>>
>>>Mr. Sherman should have been a preacher from the pulpit. No one in this
>>>world appreciates bromides more than I do. Unfortunately, I have never
>>>heard of anyone who applied a bromide to themselves. It is always for
>>>others.
>>>

>>Just for a more complete understanding of you, what are your positions on:
>> Creationism vs Inteligent Design vs Evolution

> Evolution of course. What do you take me for - an idiot?
>

>> The second coming or The Rapture

> Neither. What nonsense!
>

>> The more natural resources consmued the more there is of them.

> False, natural resources are limited no matter what anyone else says.
>

>> The worst creation of God was man, the worst creation of man was God.

> The latter of course. This test is just too easy.
>

>> What was the rationale for not 'nuking' Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia
>>after 9/11? If it didn't teach them a lesson there wouldn't be so many
>>terrorists left.

> The US does not nuke anybody unless it is total warfare and our existence is
> at stake. Then and only then would I advocate the use of the nuclear option.
>
> We will have to do something about Iran one of these days if they continue
> to pursue nuclear weapons. We cannot allow Iran to have nuclear weapons.
> They would pass them off to terrorists and that would be the end of the
> world as we know it. A surgical strike is what is needed on the order of
> what Israel did to Iraq some years ago. I am in favor of war with Iran if
> that is what it takes to get them to come to their senses. While we are
> about it we could easily take out Syria too, another no good g.d. Muslim
> tyranny.
>

>> Are women intelligent beings and do they have rights?

> Women are sufficiently different than men so that comparisons are difficult.
> Women resemble the Blessed Virgin Mary and men resemble the Devil Incarnate.
> Clear enough for you?
>

>> Why are there no dual 24" compact midracers?

> See Mr. Sherman's post on this subject. He, along with Robert Bryant of RCN,
> is the expert on most things recumbent.
>

>> The morbidly obese, drug addicted Rush Limbaugh states that exercise
>>is harmful. Who is correct?

> Rush is the typical American as regards his girth. Rush has dozens of crazy
> opinions, but he is always entertaining in whatever he says. That is more
> than can be said for you.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Ed, you are nowhere as far right as some of your ramblings tend to lean.
Sorry old boy, you flunked the "christian zealot believer in gwb as
savior" test.
Frank

Frank P. Patterson wrote:

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
>> "Frank P. Patterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Just for a more complete understanding of you, what are your
>>> positions on:
>>> Creationism vs Inteligent Design vs Evolution

>> Evolution of course. What do you take me for - an idiot?
>>

>>> The second coming or The Rapture

>> Neither. What nonsense!
>>

>>> The more natural resources consmued the more there is of them.

>> False, natural resources are limited no matter what anyone else says.
>>

>>> The worst creation of God was man, the worst creation of man was God.

>> The latter of course. This test is just too easy.
>>

>>> What was the rationale for not 'nuking' Afghanistan and Saudi
>>> Arabia after 9/11? If it didn't teach them a lesson there wouldn't be
>>> so many terrorists left.

>> The US does not nuke anybody unless it is total warfare and our
>> existence is at stake. Then and only then would I advocate the use of
>> the nuclear option.
>>
>> We will have to do something about Iran one of these days if they
>> continue to pursue nuclear weapons. We cannot allow Iran to have
>> nuclear weapons. They would pass them off to terrorists and that would
>> be the end of the world as we know it. A surgical strike is what is
>> needed on the order of what Israel did to Iraq some years ago. I am in
>> favor of war with Iran if that is what it takes to get them to come to
>> their senses. While we are about it we could easily take out Syria
>> too, another no good g.d. Muslim tyranny.
>>

>>> Are women intelligent beings and do they have rights?

>> Women are sufficiently different than men so that comparisons are
>> difficult. Women resemble the Blessed Virgin Mary and men resemble the
>> Devil Incarnate. Clear enough for you?
>>

>>> Why are there no dual 24" compact midracers?

>> See Mr. Sherman's post on this subject. He, along with Robert Bryant
>> of RCN, is the expert on most things recumbent.
>>

>>> The morbidly obese, drug addicted Rush Limbaugh states that
>>> exercise is harmful. Who is correct?

>> Rush is the typical American as regards his girth. Rush has dozens of
>> crazy opinions, but he is always entertaining in whatever he says.
>> That is more than can be said for you.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ed Dolan - Minnesota
>>

> Ed, you are nowhere as far right as some of your ramblings tend to lean.
> Sorry old boy, you flunked the "christian zealot believer in gwb as
> savior" test.

When did "dual 24" compact midracers" become a "christian zealot" issue? ;)

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

"Frank P. Patterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[...]
> Ed, you are nowhere as far right as some of your ramblings tend to lean.
> Sorry old boy, you flunked the "christian zealot believer in gwb as
> savior" test.
> Frank\

Frank, I am an instigator and I like to rile the waters. I will often make
outrageous statements in order to wake up the sleepy heads here on ARBR. The
only thing I hate is dullness.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> From: "Freewheeling" <[email protected]>
>>As for the French, well I guess Lance is going for a seventh isn't he?

>>(Sorry about wandering off topic again.) Frankly, I wish he'd ride in

> the
>>Giro. All the major contenders would have to follow him there or be
>>considered also-rans in the TdF, and the Giro would become a

> significant
>>competitor to the TdF for top stage race. Well, it won't happen but

> it's a
>>thought.

> Eh? You heard something more than this sort of thing:
>
> http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/apress_011005_armstrongtourdefrance.html

No, nothing but speculation so far.

I wonder what this has to do with anything. Would you object to the notion
of expanding democracy and diminishing tyranny just because evangelicals
believe in it? Nonsense. It's a specious argument.

--
--Scott

Edward Dolan admitted that he is a troll when he wrote:

> Frank, I am an instigator and I like to rile the waters. I will often make
> outrageous statements in order to wake up the sleepy heads here on ARBR....

Finally a posting by Ed Dolan that we can all agree with.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan admitted that he is a troll when he wrote:
>
>> Frank, I am an instigator and I like to rile the waters. I will often
>> make outrageous statements in order to wake up the sleepy heads here on
>> ARBR....

> Finally a posting by Ed Dolan that we can all agree with.

I think there are good trolls and there are bad trolls. It goes without
saying of course that I am a good troll.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Edward Dolan said:
"Frank P. Patterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[...]
> Ed, you are nowhere as far right as some of your ramblings tend to lean.
> Sorry old boy, you flunked the "christian zealot believer in gwb as
> savior" test.
> Frank\

Frank, I am an instigator and I like to rile the waters. I will often make
outrageous statements in order to wake up the sleepy heads here on ARBR. The
only thing I hate is dullness.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota
Ed Dolan may rile the waters and wake up the sleepy heads here on ARBR,but my hats off to the guy who invented water ,he must have been a genius!

Freewheeling wrote:
> "Tell us again, please. Where is Osama and why? If Saddam was so
> connected to terrorism, why did it get worse upon our entering Iraq?"
> The reason Osama is free is that Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Pearl, Rice Etc.

had in mind that they could deal with Afghanistan et al on the cheap.
They didn't do their homework and underestimated the enemy. Consequently
they were not prepared just as the Russians weren't. They didn't learn
the lessons of history. Thus they were not able to do the job properly
and let Osama and many others escape to that wonderful, trustworthy
friend of ours, Pakistan. And that is another blunder. The great issue
is that this administration screwed up big time and then changed their
focus to their longer term goal of 'democratizing' Iraq with the plan of
the domino effect throughout the Arab world. Sound familiar? The Commies
in Viet Nam and southeast Asia? Simply put, we should have finished the
Afghan job before moving on. And then not to have lied about it.

> World War II got "worse" after we entered it too. And had not Winnie fought
> back in the Battle of Brittain I'm sure the Nazis would have been just
> peachy. What sort of argument is that? Did the bullies always have their
> way with you in grade school? After all fighting back would always make
> things "worse" right?

I took my higher education at that small military school in Charleston,
S.C.; The Citadel. I think you mentioned your creds. at some time in the
past. Oh yes, I also have a few credits from that bastion of
conservatism; Berkeley. No, the other bullies didn't bother me. Did they
bother you?

> There'll be an election on Jan. 31, 2005, the third free election in the
> Islamic world since the US started making things "worse," and the only free
> elections in the Islamic world in a century. Not only are the "insurgents"
> (read anti-Iraqi forces) losing, but you're losing the argument. Which
> ought to secretly gratify you, as the Devil's advocate in this "debate."
> You'll win, by losing... unlike the "insurgents" who will simply lose.

My friend, I used to respect you prior to your sabatical from the group
but now you seem to not have a clue.

> Anyway, ridden any good highracers lately?

My first ride of the new year was a time trial...on my dual700 T-Bone.*
Being 10 years the senior participant, I still wasn't last. All the
others were uprights except Derek, on his Bachetta. He beat me by 60some
seconds. Sadly for me, he will get better but I probably won't. Feb. 6
we are doing the Cherry Pie Crit. along with the usual local notables.
Everybody has to be somewhere so I observe the race from my bike on the
course.
> *I'm pictured on Reynold's pages and numerous events shot by Photocrazy last year. This latter on my HHR for some events.
> By the way, Osama is almost certainly in Iran. I have that on pretty good
> authority, from a friend at the Manhattan Institute.

Do you suppose Rummy's new secret service knows this?

A little sociopathic repart`e, a little politiks and some bike bs...

--
--Scott
"Frank P. Patterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Freewheeling wrote:
>> "Tell us again, please. Where is Osama and why? If Saddam was so
>> connected to terrorism, why did it get worse upon our entering Iraq?"
>> The reason Osama is free is that Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Pearl, Rice Etc.

> had in mind that they could deal with Afghanistan et al on the cheap. They
> didn't do their homework and underestimated the enemy. Consequently they
> were not prepared just as the Russians weren't. They didn't learn the
> lessons of history. Thus they were not able to do the job properly and let
> Osama and many others escape to that wonderful, trustworthy friend of
> ours, Pakistan. And that is another blunder. The great issue is that this
> administration screwed up big time and then changed their focus to their
> longer term goal of 'democratizing' Iraq with the plan of the domino
> effect throughout the Arab world. Sound familiar? The Commies in Viet Nam
> and southeast Asia? Simply put, we should have finished the Afghan job
> before moving on. And then not to have lied about it.

If I recall correctly we were fools to even attempt to invade Afghanistan
which had been the graveyard of every invading force since Alexander. After
that, there were supposed to be hundreds of thousands of refugees created by
the invasion. Now the complaint is that we couldn't find a needle in a
haystack that was actively evading us. Somehow I ge the message that you
won't be pleased no matter what happens.

>> World War II got "worse" after we entered it too. And had not Winnie
>> fought back in the Battle of Brittain I'm sure the Nazis would have been
>> just peachy. What sort of argument is that? Did the bullies always have
>> their way with you in grade school? After all fighting back would always
>> make things "worse" right?

> I took my higher education at that small military school in Charleston,
> S.C.; The Citadel. I think you mentioned your creds. at some time in the
> past. Oh yes, I also have a few credits from that bastion of conservatism;
> Berkeley. No, the other bullies didn't bother me. Did they bother you?

Didn't answer my question, did you? What sort of argument is that? Answer:
silly.

>> There'll be an election on Jan. 31, 2005, the third free election in the
>> Islamic world since the US started making things "worse," and the only
>> free elections in the Islamic world in a century. Not only are the
>> "insurgents" (read anti-Iraqi forces) losing, but you're losing the
>> argument. Which ought to secretly gratify you, as the Devil's advocate
>> in this "debate." You'll win, by losing... unlike the "insurgents" who
>> will simply lose.

> My friend, I used to respect you prior to your sabatical from the group
> but now you seem to not have a clue.

So, are you asking a question or taking up an argument...?
You don't respect me. Why is that important?

>> Anyway, ridden any good highracers lately?

> My first ride of the new year was a time trial...on my dual700 T-Bone.*
> Being 10 years the senior participant, I still wasn't last. All the others
> were uprights except Derek, on his Bachetta. He beat me by 60some seconds.
> Sadly for me, he will get better but I probably won't. Feb. 6 we are doing
> the Cherry Pie Crit. along with the usual local notables. Everybody has to
> be somewhere so I observe the race from my bike on the course.
>> *I'm pictured on Reynold's pages and numerous events shot by Photocrazy
>> last year. This latter on my HHR for some events.

>> By the way, Osama is almost certainly in Iran. I have that on pretty
>> good authority, from a friend at the Manhattan Institute.

> Do you suppose Rummy's new secret service knows this?

Would that be a bad thing?

> A little sociopathic repart`e, a little politiks and some bike bs...

I don't think of you as sociopathic so much as... well actually there's a
point at which a lust for peace becomes sociopathic, I guess. But it's
nasty going to bed with the certain knowledge that the world just isn't that
way any more, if it ever really was. There's a story in today's *Washington
Post* about a young Iraqi who was radicalized because some US soldiers found
some girly magazines under his bed and razzed him a little (whether this is
true or not I don't know, but people being what they are it's not
impossible) which provoked him to first slap his mother and then seek
revenge by lopping off the heads of infidels. Now, if this is a culture
that got so screwed up under totalitarian rule for thirty years that it
screws people up so badly that any human flaw you might inadvertently cross
them with, falling inches short of being the Son of God, is likely to turn a
mother-slapper into a head-lopper, and from thence into a mass murderer,
well... tell me how we sit on our arses and expect things to get better on
their own? Seems to me they're already pretty toxic. And probably got that
way at least partly because we were content to leave creeps like Saddam in
power as long as he didn't bother us. Of course we may not be the ideal
candidate to change things now, but Canada apparently doesn't want the job.

All I can say is that I hope our guys get him before he saws off any more
heads, or slaps his mother around again.

(I only say this because I'm slightly outraged that it's not common sense,
so apparently somebody has to say it even if they lack the credentials of a
Canadian.)

Freewheeling wrote: [snipped]

Why don't you take you hate mongering and lust for violence somewhere
else? If people want to hear the Cheney/Rove propaganda they can turn on
their television or radio - there is plenty of it out there.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

So, my opinions are propaganda and lust for violence (note: not a concern
that people live better, under governments that are more just and free, just
a naked love for violence), but your preferences are what... by definition,
and like Robespierre's, beyond question? Apparently, however, the majority
were with me this time.

Anyway, you're not much for the substance of a debate are you? I at least
respect your right to present your opinions, though I don't necessarily
respect those opinions themselve (especially if you don't consider them
worthy of debate).

What part is propaganda, by the way? That Afghanistan had a relatively free
election, and that 80% of Iraqis seem prepared to brave painful death to
cast a vote for a national assembly? I suppose that, having acknowledged
these empirical facts, if you were still able to make a decent case that the
world would be better off if we left such brave people to the tender mercies
of Zarqawi & Co. you'd have earned my respect. But you're not about to make
that argument, I suspect. Because if you tried, and fell short (which you
almost certainly would) you'd have even less esteem than you do now.

So you've made the second-smartest move you could have made, and just told
me to shut up.

--
--Scott

Freewheeling wrote:

> So, my opinions are propaganda and lust for violence (note: not a concern
> that people live better, under governments that are more just and free, just
> a naked love for violence), but your preferences are what... by definition,
> and like Robespierre's, beyond question? Apparently, however, the majority
> were with me this time.
>
> Anyway, you're not much for the substance of a debate are you? I at least
> respect your right to present your opinions, though I don't necessarily
> respect those opinions themselve (especially if you don't consider them
> worthy of debate).

Frankly, I don't give a damn what you think, nor do I give a damn what
you think about me. Earl Russell was right when he said we all just shut
up about politics here.

> What part is propaganda, by the way? That Afghanistan had a relatively free
> election, and that 80% of Iraqis seem prepared to brave painful death to
> cast a vote for a national assembly? I suppose that, having acknowledged
> these empirical facts, if you were still able to make a decent case that the
> world would be better off if we left such brave people to the tender mercies
> of Zarqawi & Co. you'd have earned my respect. But you're not about to make
> that argument, I suspect. Because if you tried, and fell short (which you
> almost certainly would) you'd have even less esteem than you do now.

[Yawn] More macho posturing. You really do have issues with power and
dominance.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Freewheeling wrote: [snipped]
>
> Why don't you take you hate mongering and lust for violence somewhere
> else? If people want to hear the Cheney/Rove propaganda they can turn on
> their television or radio - there is plenty of it out there.

Mr. Sherman is clearly addressing me by his tone and lack of reasoning here,
so as ever it is my pleasure and duty to take him to the wood shed for a
good hiding on his nether quarters. After all, who is more in favor of
violence than myself. Violence must be defended when it is for a good cause.
We should all know by now that palavering at the UN has never yet solved a
single problem in the conduct of nations. The US should insist that the UN
get out of New York and go to Geneva where it belongs. There it will have
the prestige of the Swiss and not the prestige of the US.

Now violence has its uses in history. In fact, it is just about always the
most critical thing that happens in the course of nations. The study of
history is mostly nothing but the study of conflict and warfare. Since that
it is the case, it is important that wars be won and not lost. Only a
treasonous ******* who hates his country would want the other side to win
and always be hoping for the worse for his country.

But a sure cure for Mr. Sherman would be for him to go to any Muslim country
and to live there for the rest of his life. At the end of that very
miserable life, he would weep tears to gaze upon the American flag and would
kiss the soil of his native land. He is truly a man without a country. Exile
is what he deserves.

If he does not have the stomach for a Muslim nation, than France would suit
him. They are a all a bunch of treasonous bastards to the values of Western
Civilization and would take Mr. Sherman right in and honor him. There Mr.
Sherman could sip drinks at the cafés on the Champs Elysee in Paris and
discourse with other malcontents on the evils of America. As you can see, I
only have the future happiness of Mr. Sherman at heart.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Freewheeling wrote:
>
> > So, my opinions are propaganda and lust for violence (note: not a

concern
> > that people live better, under governments that are more just and free,

just
> > a naked love for violence), but your preferences are what... by

definition,
> > and like Robespierre's, beyond question? Apparently, however, the

majority
> > were with me this time.
> >
> > Anyway, you're not much for the substance of a debate are you? I at

least
> > respect your right to present your opinions, though I don't necessarily
> > respect those opinions themselve (especially if you don't consider them
> > worthy of debate).

> Frankly, I don't give a damn what you think, nor do I give a damn what
> you think about me. Earl Russell was right when he said we all just shut
> up about politics here.

You appear to be slightly touchy Tom, could be after effects from the
therapy

http://www.bocanews.com/index.php?src=news&prid=10127&category=Local News

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Freewheeling wrote:
>
>> So, my opinions are propaganda and lust for violence (note: not a concern
>> that people live better, under governments that are more just and free,
>> just a naked love for violence), but your preferences are what... by
>> definition, and like Robespierre's, beyond question? Apparently,
>> however, the majority were with me this time.
>>
>> Anyway, you're not much for the substance of a debate are you? I at
>> least respect your right to present your opinions, though I don't
>> necessarily respect those opinions themselve (especially if you don't
>> consider them worthy of debate).

> Frankly, I don't give a damn what you think, nor do I give a damn what you
> think about me. Earl Russell was right when he said we all just shut up
> about politics here.

Scott, what has happened here is that I have worn him down. He is getting
more like me in some ways and I believe I am getting a bit more like him in
other ways. But this is not the old Tom Sherman that I first encountered
here two years ago. Maybe he is finally maturing.

What has occurred of course is that he no longer has the back up of all
those despicable far left wing wacko nut liberals who formerly infested this
newsgroup like a bunch of wasps. Mr. Sherman is learning it is not so easy
to stand alone, something I learned the hard way when I first began posting
to this group. I was the only conservative then who would take these
liberals head on. It was a lot of work, but we have a much more balanced
group here now.

>> What part is propaganda, by the way? That Afghanistan had a relatively
>> free election, and that 80% of Iraqis seem prepared to brave painful
>> death to cast a vote for a national assembly? I suppose that, having
>> acknowledged these empirical facts, if you were still able to make a
>> decent case that the world would be better off if we left such brave
>> people to the tender mercies of Zarqawi & Co. you'd have earned my
>> respect. But you're not about to make that argument, I suspect. Because
>> if you tried, and fell short (which you almost certainly would) you'd
>> have even less esteem than you do now.

> [Yawn] More macho posturing. You really do have issues with power and
> dominance.

But I never in my life skirted an issue. This is more and more Mr. Sherman's
escape clause. I have thought of doing this too on occasion, but it just
goes against my nature. I would rather have a discussion degenerate to
nothing but name calling than to escape a substantive discussion by taking
the easy way out. If Mr. Sherman is no longer up to these discussions, then
he should not post to them.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Frankly, I don't give a damn what you think, nor do I give a damn what
you think about me."

I don't think anything about you. I wonder what makes some lefties so
intractable sometimes, and finally decided it was something like a "lust for
peace," which was an hypothesis of a friend of mine. It made sense to me,
because mere wishful thinking didn't explain it. And it does need some
explanation. That said, I probably understand it better than I let on.
When one accepts the notion that the world is simply not like the world that
the romantic poet within hopes it is (and perhaps needs to believe it is)
there's a price to pay. I think some people simply see the price as too
high, and prefer to hang out in the foyer for as long as life will let them.

I'm sure it's easy to convince yourself that this is all due to George W.
Bush somehow, that he's some sort of unique war monger. But the truth is
that the majority of men running for the presidency would have made the
choices Bush made, and some would have followed up the same way too. Carl
Levin was one of Bush's harshest critics, but if you examine his position
closely his only real disagreement was that we neglected to compel Saddam to
start the war by an act of aggression. It's also unlikely that many people
will have missed the fact that there's a kind of "freedom deficit" in the
Arab world that contributes to its ability to produce terrorists and nutty
people like that kid in the WaPo story who decided it was preferable to
become a terrorist than admit that he masturbates. I sometimes think the
only real gripe that Democrats have is that the Republicans appropriated an
issue that ought to have been theirs.

The truth is, there are literally millions of men and women who'd have done
pretty much what Bush did, just as there were millions of men like Harry
Truman (a whisky-drinking, poker-playing, classical-reading, self-taught,
failed entrepreneur). Our strength is that there are so many of us who
could step up to lead during a time of crisis that it really puts the lie to
the notion that a "great leader" is required. And that lesson is
apparently sinking into the Arab Middle East, finally. Some day it'll just
look like it was inevitable.
--
--Scott

Edward Dolan wrote:

> But a sure cure for Mr. Sherman would be for him to go to any Muslim country
> and to live there for the rest of his life. At the end of that very
> miserable life, he would weep tears to gaze upon the American flag and would
> kiss the soil of his native land. He is truly a man without a country. Exile
> is what he deserves.

I have some connections in Malaysia (a primarily Muslim nation), but
both the weather and the food are a bit hot for my taste.

Since James Polk did not follow up on his campaign slogan "Fifty-four
forty or fight", but settled for "Forty-nine" [1] instead, the US is not
my "native land".

> If he does not have the stomach for a Muslim nation, than France would suit
> him. They are a all a bunch of treasonous bastards to the values of Western
> Civilization and would take Mr. Sherman right in and honor him. There Mr.
> Sherman could sip drinks at the caf? on the Champs Elysee in Paris and
> discourse with other malcontents on the evils of America. As you can see, I
> only have the future happiness of Mr. Sherman at heart.

The French (and most other European nations) do not accept immigrants
readily. Since my ancestors last lived in France about the time *****
was invading England, the French government is unlikely to grant me
citizenship and pay for me to attend French language school. Too bad,
since the food is generally much better in France than the US, they know
how to have more fun protesting, they have a much shorter work week and
retirement age, and a lot of good cycling roads.

[1] George W. Bush played a part in staking the US claim for what is now
Washington State.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island