Real hub bearing cassette inquiry

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Chris Crawford, Jun 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi All:

I've got a Real rear hub, 130mm, Shimano 9sp body and the bearings seem dry and a bit scratchy. I
    read in a previous post how someone had replaced the bearing units in a Real mtb hub with "Phil Wood
    spec'd" bearings with great success. apparently Real is out of business and judging from the web
    reviews I read, I should have done my homework and bought another hub.

Can anyone tell me what this means and what the source of said bearings might be?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Tags:

2. A Muzi

A Muzi Guest

"Chris Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All:
    >
    > I've got a Real rear hub, 130mm, Shimano 9sp body and the bearings seem dry and a bit scratchy. I
    > read in a previous post how someone had replaced the bearing units in a Real mtb hub with "Phil
    > Wood spec'd" bearings with great success. apparently Real is out of business and judging from the
    > web reviews I read, I should have done my homework and bought another hub.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what this means and what the source of said bearings might be?

I don't know the actual bearing used in a Real, but hubs of that type use off-the-rack cartridges
    available at any bearing house ( Yellow Pages:bearings). The number is on the seal and your local
    bearing supplier will have various options.

Many are supplied in oil. Lift a seal to fill with grease before installation.

--
    Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.