Real hubs

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Nigel Grinter, Oct 24, 2003.

  1. Seems like there are some good deals on Real cassette hubs (in road and mountain spacing). Does
    anyone have knowledge or experience of these?

    Thanks,

    Nigel Grinter

    Tags:

  2. GregR

    GregR Guest

    On 24 Oct 2003 21:10:35 -0700, [email protected] (Nigel Grinter) wrote:

    >Seems like there are some good deals on Real cassette hubs (in road and mountain spacing). Does
    >anyone have knowledge or experience of these?

    Real is out of business, so if you need parts or service you are out of luck. Their hubs are quite
    light, but there were some problems with their cassette hubs (front hubs are fine, very nice for the
    price acutally).

    The freehubs would develop lateral play and cause shifting problems, and they are not selaed very
    well (high maintenance), and if you don't tear it down regularly, the roller bearings for the
    freehub get sloppy fast. Part of a fix for the lateral play involves shortening the bearing sleeve
    with a file/grinder.

    Avoid the cassette hubs, the front hubs are great.

  3. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Nigel Grinter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Seems like there are some good deals on Real cassette hubs (in road and mountain spacing). Does
    > anyone have knowledge or experience of these?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Nigel Grinter

    I had a pair. Bearings got rough very quickly in both the hubs.

    Save your money or buy something else.

    Mike

  4. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On 24 Oct 2003 21:10:35 -0700, [email protected] (Nigel Grinter) wrote:

    >Seems like there are some good deals on Real cassette hubs (in road and mountain spacing). Does
    >anyone have knowledge or experience of these?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Nigel Grinter

    I don't know what good deals there are. I built several wheelsets using the road hub for 130 spaced
    frames. The flange to flange distance is wide and it it difficult to get enough tension in the non
    drive side of rims that don't have the holes offset much. I think that the road hub is a MTB hub
    with shorter ends.

    They seem to be sturdy and should last a long while. Like other cartridge bearing hubs, they are not
    as slick as ball and race models.