Real Names vs. User Names

"Hadron Quark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> I am not as concerned about erosion to the trail as you imagine me to be.
>> am concerned about the kind of mental attitudes that others take into the
>> wilderness with them. Only hikers and equestrians have the right mental
>> attitude for the wilderness (reverence). Mountain bikers especially have
>> all
>> the wrong attitudes. They view the trail as some kind of obstacle course
>> which they are challenged to conquer. In other words, it is a sport to
>> them,
>> not a pilgrimage of the soul.

> Well said : but define a "mountain biker"? If its some goateed **** who
> says "kewl" a lot then I would agree. If it were someone with a
> mountainbike who is using a mountainbike for the rougher terrain on a
> long distance tour then I would disagree. Touring cyclists fit into your
> "pilgrimage" group too you know.

If that is indeed the case, then I will allow them to pass unmolested on my
sacred footpaths.

I have never yet seen a high altitude trail that I thought was suitable for
mountain bikes. I have seen such trails at lower elevations. But I continue
to believe that some kind of road is best suited for a bike. The road can be
very rough, but is should be a road and not a trail. Jeep roads, sometimes
called 4-wheel drive roads, would seem to be ideal for mountain bikes as
well as all gravel roads of course.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

>> So your deduction of more threads is wrong.

In article <[email protected]>,
Edward Dolan <[email protected]> wrote:
>It is my impression that text only documents take up hardly any space at
>all.

This is true only in context.

>> A groups and R groups are admined differently.

>What is an A group (alternate?) and what is an R group (recreation?)?

You got those right.

> How do they differ from one another?

The alt.* hierarchy of groups were set up by John Gilmore (chanced to
see him on Friday evening) as a more loosely administered set of news
groups than the more main stream big-7/8. Admining by hierarchy is
easier than individual group (although this is done in a few cases).

If an ISP does not want to carry the alt.* groups or expire articles at
a shorter frequency that is possible.

Cross posting between hierarchies means that software has to decide
whether big-8 or alt.* expiration policies hold. Most take a
conservative approach and keep the big-8 groups longer.

This is also why full feeds between ISPs are highly coveted.

>What is "admined"? I am using the OE

Short for administered.
>newsreader. How does what you say impact on that?

Reader clients like OE are only a problem for posting or reading users.
Like bad dogs and children, in the wrong hands, they are problems.

--

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Hadron Quark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> >> I am not as concerned about erosion to the trail as you imagine me to be.
> >> am concerned about the kind of mental attitudes that others take into the
> >> wilderness with them. Only hikers and equestrians have the right mental
> >> attitude for the wilderness (reverence). Mountain bikers especially have
> >> all
> >> the wrong attitudes. They view the trail as some kind of obstacle course
> >> which they are challenged to conquer. In other words, it is a sport to
> >> them,
> >> not a pilgrimage of the soul.

> > Well said : but define a "mountain biker"? If its some goateed **** who
> > says "kewl" a lot then I would agree. If it were someone with a
> > mountainbike who is using a mountainbike for the rougher terrain on a
> > long distance tour then I would disagree. Touring cyclists fit into your
> > "pilgrimage" group too you know.

> If that is indeed the case, then I will allow them to pass unmolested on my
> sacred footpaths.

"Allow"? Since you don't own the public lands, it's not your place to
allow or disallow.

"Your"? See my previous comment.

"Sacred"? I don't recognize your right to call a public resource
"sacred", so I guess you'll just have to swallow the disappointment of
having to share.

> I have never yet seen a high altitude trail that I thought was suitable for
> mountain bikes.

Not been in Colorado or Utah much, then? Any trail that's suitable for
walking is suitable for mountain bikes.

> I have seen such trails at lower elevations. But I continue
> to believe that some kind of road is best suited for a bike.

Luckily, your beliefs only bind you, and nobody else.

> The road can be
> very rough, but is should be a road and not a trail.

Isn't a trail a very small road?

> Jeep roads, sometimes
> called 4-wheel drive roads, would seem to be ideal for mountain bikes as
> well as all gravel roads of course.

Actually, the best mountain bike trails are shared-use trails -
hiking/biking (no horses/mules). And the less hikers, the better.
Hikers tend to walk side-by-side and widen the trail unnecessarily,
walk around wet spots to make the wet spots wider, and leave trash and
dog feces (yeah, they bring their dogs, and don't clean up after them.)

Now, if you'd like to buy some land, and designate it as "no bikes",
then that is your perogative. On public lands where biking on trails
is allowed, you'd best keep your snobbish attitude to yourself. But,
guessing from your posts, you'd only dare voice your opinion behind the
safety of your keyboard.

E.P.

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> You are aware, aren't you, that Mike Vandeman SUPPORTS harming bicycle
>> operators by stringing piano wire across the trail, and setting stakes in
>> a position to impale riders as they round a curve or jump a log? Yes, my
>> friend, Michael J Vandeman supports killing bike riders. There has been
>> discussion here as to whether or not he personally participates in these
>> activities. I have no proof that he is a participant, but the tenor of
>> his postings clearly show his support.

> He is just fantasizing as I do myself.

There is absolutely NO evidence that he is fantasizing.

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Wilderness Areas can be used by hikers (with some limitations from time
>>> to time perhaps) and horse parties, if not too large. But that is about
>>> it as far as I am concerned. I do not even like helicopters flying
>>> overhead. Needless to say, Wildernesss Areas need to be managed even for
>>> the use of hikers and horses, just as all natural areas need to be
>>> managed. No one can ever do just whatever they want to do.
>>>

>> I have never heard anybody call for open range on a wilderness area,
>> where we can go in and do whatever we want. Personally, all I want is to
>> travel on the existing routes to get from one place to another. I'm all
>> for management, that's fine. What I don't want is a gate across the
>> trail. As I said in another post, I have a trail in my area that is a
>> hold over from the Pony Express days, and the Mike Vandeman crowd wants
>> it closed to everybody.

> I will go along with you on that. Roads that are already established, even
> jeep roads, can stay but let us preserve what little wilderness is left by
> banning any more roads. Frankly, I do not think we need any more trails
> either, except perhaps trails for mountain bikes in already developed
> recreational areas.
>
> The wilderness is sacred to me. It is where we all come from as a species.
> We should revere it and preserve it as best we can. There is just so
> little of it left. You really need to go to old Europe to see what man has
> done to that continent. Yes, parts of it are a garden, but there is no
> wilderness left there (except maybe in the high arctic). We do not need to
> do the New World what man has done to the Old World.

The wilderness is sacred to me as well, that is why I fight to keep the
trails open. We (the recreation community) are losing routes at an
astounding rate, routes that have been in inventory for decades, centuries
even. I leave the creation battles to other people, I'm happy to keep what I
have and not be locked out.

"Ed Pirrero" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

[newsgroups restored]

Why does not this idiot post also to ARBR since everyone knows that is where
I am at. He no doubt does not want a response from someone so Great as
Myself.

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>> "Hadron Quark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Well said : but define a "mountain biker"? If its some goateed **** who
>> > says "kewl" a lot then I would agree. If it were someone with a
>> > mountainbike who is using a mountainbike for the rougher terrain on a
>> > long distance tour then I would disagree. Touring cyclists fit into
>> > your
>> > "pilgrimage" group too you know.

>> If that is indeed the case, then I will allow them to pass unmolested on
>> my
>> sacred footpaths.

> "Allow"? Since you don't own the public lands, it's not your place to
> allow or disallow.

There is a long history of trails being for hikers and equestrians only.
Mountain bikes are late comers. They mostly constitute a nuisance to the
original trail users. Get your own g.d. trails.

> "Your"? See my previous comment.
>
> "Sacred"? I don't recognize your right to call a public resource
> "sacred", so I guess you'll just have to swallow the disappointment of
> having to share.

If you are just into fun and games on your g.d. bike, the get thee to a
recreation area designed for that kind of nonsense. The wilderness is not
for the likes of you.

>> I have never yet seen a high altitude trail that I thought was suitable
>> for
>> mountain bikes.

> Not been in Colorado or Utah much, then? Any trail that's suitable for
> walking is suitable for mountain bikes.

Now I know why Vandeman calls all mountain bikers LIARS! But they are also
SCOUNDRELS! May the Devil take them!

>> I have seen such trails at lower elevations. But I continue
>> to believe that some kind of road is best suited for a bike.

> Luckily, your beliefs only bind you, and nobody else.

Vandeman and I are working hard to get your and your ilk banned from
wilderness areas. You strike me as nothing but a typical lazy mountain biker
slob.

>> The road can be
>> very rough, but is should be a road and not a trail.

> Isn't a trail a very small road?

No! Never! A road will require some construction. Most trails are nothing
but simple footpaths and involve little if any construction. They are easily
destroyed by bikes.

>> Jeep roads, sometimes
>> called 4-wheel drive roads, would seem to be ideal for mountain bikes as
>> well as all gravel roads of course.

> Actually, the best mountain bike trails are shared-use trails -
> hiking/biking (no horses/mules). And the less hikers, the better.
> Hikers tend to walk side-by-side and widen the trail unnecessarily,
> walk around wet spots to make the wet spots wider, and leave trash and
> dog feces (yeah, they bring their dogs, and don't clean up after them.)

Anyone who brings a dog on one of my sacred footpaths is a slob equally as
evil as a mountain biker.
Why doesn't the Devil take such miscreants immediately to Hell where they
belong!

> Now, if you'd like to buy some land, and designate it as "no bikes",
> then that is your perogative. On public lands where biking on trails
> is allowed, you'd best keep your snobbish attitude to yourself. But,
> guessing from your posts, you'd only dare voice your opinion behind the
> safety of your keyboard.

The public lands have to be managed so as not to create a lot of conflicts
among users. Mountain bikes need their own trails, preferably in already
developed recreation areas. Why waste wilderness on slobs like Ed Pirrero.

Regards,

--

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Ed Pirrero" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> [newsgroups restored]

Obviously, netiquette is not your forte.

> > "Allow"? Since you don't own the public lands, it's not your place to
> > allow or disallow.

> There is a long history of trails being for hikers and equestrians only.

Actually, the history has been that only those things *existed*. In
the last 30 years, types and kinds of uses have expanded somewhat.

Since you will unable to curtail those uses, you should find a way to
get used to them.

> Mountain bikes are late comers. They mostly constitute a nuisance to the
> original trail users.

Merely your opinion.

> Get your own g.d. trails.

Luckily, we can use multi-use trails without destroying more land for
segregated trails. You're advocating additional human encroachment
into wild spaces? Hmmm, doesn't sound very respectful of nature...

> > "Your"? See my previous comment.
> >
> > "Sacred"? I don't recognize your right to call a public resource
> > "sacred", so I guess you'll just have to swallow the disappointment of
> > having to share.

> If you are just into fun and games on your g.d. bike, the get thee to a
> recreation area designed for that kind of nonsense.

Strawman. Try again.

> The wilderness is not
> for the likes of you.

Of course it is. You'll just have to get used to sharing it.

> >> I have never yet seen a high altitude trail that I thought was suitable
> >> for
> >> mountain bikes.

> > Not been in Colorado or Utah much, then? Any trail that's suitable for
> > walking is suitable for mountain bikes.

> Now I know why Vandeman calls all mountain bikers LIARS!

An unsupported hypothesis by both of you.

The only trails I have ever seen that are unsuitable for mountain bikes
were also not suitable for casual walkers. They were boulder field
scrambles, or small slot canyons where bikes just wouldn't fit.

And they weren't at very high altitudes.

The trails MOST suitable for MTBers are the higher-altitude trails in
CO and UT.

So much for your blanket statement, eh?

> >> I have seen such trails at lower elevations. But I continue
> >> to believe that some kind of road is best suited for a bike.

> > Luckily, your beliefs only bind you, and nobody else.

> Vandeman and I are working hard to get your and your ilk banned from
> wilderness areas.

Except you won't be able to. So do your Sisyphus impression all you
want. The plain fact is that MORE areas are being opened to MTBers, so
your Holy Crusade is coming up exactly opposite of your intent.

> You strike me as nothing but a typical lazy mountain biker
> slob.

Hiding behind the safety of your keyboard makes it very easy to say
that. Chalk up another courageous usenetter!

Since you obviously have no idea what it takes to ride a bike on
trails, I'll let your laughable statement pass.

> >> The road can be
> >> very rough, but is should be a road and not a trail.

> > Isn't a trail a very small road?

> No!

Of course it is. It passes traffic, either human or animal, and it
goes from place to place.

Sounds like a road to me.

> A road will require some construction.

Trails don't spring up from nothing. They have to be cut, and usually,
animals do the "construction", using their hooves to flatten and
defoliate a path. No different han using a shovel - just slower.

> Most trails ... are easily
> destroyed by bikes.

Another unsupported assertion. Do you envirowackos know anything about
LOGIC?

> >> Jeep roads, sometimes
> >> called 4-wheel drive roads, would seem to be ideal for mountain bikes as
> >> well as all gravel roads of course.

> > Actually, the best mountain bike trails are shared-use trails -
> > hiking/biking (no horses/mules). And the less hikers, the better.
> > Hikers tend to walk side-by-side and widen the trail unnecessarily,
> > walk around wet spots to make the wet spots wider, and leave trash and
> > dog feces (yeah, they bring their dogs, and don't clean up after them.)

> Anyone who brings a dog on one of my sacred footpaths is a slob equally as
> evil as a mountain biker.

Again with the "sacred" and "your". Unless you personally own the land
the trail sits on, the trails are, at best, "ours." And sacred? I
don't recognize your religion as valid or real. Get over it.

> Why doesn't the Devil take such miscreants immediately to Hell where they
> belong!

I think you are mixing your religions.

> > Now, if you'd like to buy some land, and designate it as "no bikes",
> > then that is your perogative. On public lands where biking on trails
> > is allowed, you'd best keep your snobbish attitude to yourself. But,
> > guessing from your posts, you'd only dare voice your opinion behind the
> > safety of your keyboard.

> The public lands have to be managed so as not to create a lot of conflicts
> among users.

Sure. That doesn't include excluding a group of users because *you
personally* don't like them. Most people get over that by the fourth
grade. What's your excuse?

> Mountain bikes need their own trails, preferably in already
> developed recreation areas.

Or on any public lands not designated "Wilderness". But no, cutting
even more trails doesn't make any sense. Keeping human impact down
while still providing recreation should be the ultimate goal.

> Why waste wilderness on slobs like Ed Pirrero.

Wow, more usenet courage. I wish I could be such a tough guy behind my
computer screen. The internet is great - you can be tough AND
good-looking.

E.P.

"Ed Pirrero" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>> "Ed Pirrero" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> [newsgroups restored]

> Obviously, netiquette is not your forte.

You were impolite, so I was impolite back. Surely that is fair.

>> > "Allow"? Since you don't own the public lands, it's not your place to
>> > allow or disallow.

>> There is a long history of trails being for hikers and equestrians only.

> Actually, the history has been that only those things *existed*. In
> the last 30 years, types and kinds of uses have expanded somewhat.

That is unfortunately true, but I go back to when those trails were first
built - over a hundred years ago in many instances. Unless those original
trails have been upgraded, they are not suited for bikes.

> Since you will unable to curtail those uses, you should find a way to
> get used to them.

It is very hard to get used to mountain bikers on hiking trails since
totally different mental attitudes are involved. Mountain bikers are into
fun and games and hikers are into making pilgrimages to find Truth and God.

>> Mountain bikes are late comers. They mostly constitute a nuisance to the
>> original trail users.

> Merely your opinion.
>
>> Get your own g.d. trails.

> Luckily, we can use multi-use trails without destroying more land for
> segregated trails. You're advocating additional human encroachment
> into wild spaces? Hmmm, doesn't sound very respectful of nature...

I am advocating that bike trails be built only in already developed
recreational areas. This can include much of the National Forest and BLM
lands. I trust the National Parks and State Parks to severely restrict
mountain biking. Any mountain biker who tries to invade wilderness should be
thrown up against a wall and executed Mexican style.

>> > "Your"? See my previous comment.
>> >
>> > "Sacred"? I don't recognize your right to call a public resource
>> > "sacred", so I guess you'll just have to swallow the disappointment of
>> > having to share.

>> If you are just into fun and games on your g.d. bike, the get thee to a
>> recreation area designed for that kind of nonsense.

> Strawman. Try again.
>
>> The wilderness is not
>> for the likes of you.

> Of course it is. You'll just have to get used to sharing it.

There are plenty of recreational lands for you to ride your bike on. That
you would want to invade the sacred wilderness on a bike marks you as a
savage. Try to get some culture, why don't you.

>> > Not been in Colorado or Utah much, then? Any trail that's suitable for
>> > walking is suitable for mountain bikes.

>> Now I know why Vandeman calls all mountain bikers LIARS!

> An unsupported hypothesis by both of you.
>
> The only trails I have ever seen that are unsuitable for mountain bikes
> were also not suitable for casual walkers. They were boulder field
> scrambles, or small slot canyons where bikes just wouldn't fit.
>
> And they weren't at very high altitudes.
>
> The trails MOST suitable for MTBers are the higher-altitude trails in
> CO and UT.
>
> So much for your blanket statement, eh?

Vandeman is right. Mountain bikers are the scum of the earth!

>> > Luckily, your beliefs only bind you, and nobody else.

>> Vandeman and I are working hard to get your and your ilk banned from
>> wilderness areas.

> Except you won't be able to. So do your Sisyphus impression all you
> want. The plain fact is that MORE areas are being opened to MTBers, so
> your Holy Crusade is coming up exactly opposite of your intent.

All wilderness areas and pristine natural areas will be forever closed to
bikers. Vandeman and I will see to that.

>> You strike me as nothing but a typical lazy mountain biker
>> slob.

> Hiding behind the safety of your keyboard makes it very easy to say
> that. Chalk up another courageous usenetter!
>
> Since you obviously have no idea what it takes to ride a bike on
> trails, I'll let your laughable statement pass.

When you are riding your bike, you are into fun and games. It is nothing but
a g.d. sport to you. You are not fit to ever place a single foot in my
sacred wilderness. You are a savage - nothing but a despoiler of culture and
all the finer things in life. May you perish for your blasphemy against the
Wilderness.

>> > Isn't a trail a very small road?

>> No!

> Of course it is. It passes traffic, either human or animal, and it
> goes from place to place.
>
> Sounds like a road to me.
>

>> A road will require some construction.

> Trails don't spring up from nothing. They have to be cut, and usually,
> animals do the "construction", using their hooves to flatten and
> defoliate a path. No different han using a shovel - just slower.
>
>> Most trails ... are easily
>> destroyed by bikes.

> Another unsupported assertion. Do you envirowackos know anything about
> LOGIC?

Here we see an idiot trying to equate trails with roads.

>> > Actually, the best mountain bike trails are shared-use trails -
>> > hiking/biking (no horses/mules). And the less hikers, the better.
>> > Hikers tend to walk side-by-side and widen the trail unnecessarily,
>> > walk around wet spots to make the wet spots wider, and leave trash and
>> > dog feces (yeah, they bring their dogs, and don't clean up after them.)

>> Anyone who brings a dog on one of my sacred footpaths is a slob equally
>> as
>> evil as a mountain biker.

> Again with the "sacred" and "your". Unless you personally own the land
> the trail sits on, the trails are, at best, "ours." And sacred? I
> don't recognize your religion as valid or real. Get over it.
>
>> Why doesn't the Devil take such miscreants immediately to Hell where they
>> belong!

> I think you are mixing your religions.
>
>> > Now, if you'd like to buy some land, and designate it as "no bikes",
>> > then that is your perogative. On public lands where biking on trails
>> > is allowed, you'd best keep your snobbish attitude to yourself. But,
>> > guessing from your posts, you'd only dare voice your opinion behind the
>> > safety of your keyboard.

>> The public lands have to be managed so as not to create a lot of
>> conflicts
>> among users.

> Sure. That doesn't include excluding a group of users because *you
> personally* don't like them. Most people get over that by the fourth
> grade. What's your excuse?

We cannot use the same trails because of the conflicts, both physical and
mental.

>> Mountain bikes need their own trails, preferably in already
>> developed recreation areas.

> Or on any public lands not designated "Wilderness". But no, cutting
> even more trails doesn't make any sense. Keeping human impact down
> while still providing recreation should be the ultimate goal.

"We cannot use the same trails because of the conflicts, both physical and
mental." - Ed Dolan

>> Why waste wilderness on slobs like Ed Pirrero.

> Wow, more usenet courage. I wish I could be such a tough guy behind my
> computer screen. The internet is great - you can be tough AND
> good-looking.

You are not worthy of wilderness. What you are worthy of is Coney Island
and/or Disney World. Why can't you slobs stay where you belong - among your
own kind. We do not want you in our sacred wilderness unless you adopt the
humble posture of the hiker. Arrogant bikers belong on roads or specially
constructed bike trails.

Edward Dolan wrote:

> It is very hard to get used to mountain bikers on hiking trails since
> totally different mental attitudes are involved. Mountain bikers are
> into fun and games and hikers are into making pilgrimages to find
> Truth and God.

BWAHAHAHHA. Oh, Great One... Mikey V. is a RAGING atheist. ("It's
obvious. Duh.")

> All wilderness areas and pristine natural areas will be forever
> closed to bikers. Vandeman and I will see to that.

More good stuff. Thanks!

> You are not worthy of wilderness. What you are worthy of is Coney
> Island and/or Disney World.

That's more like it.

BS

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
>> It is very hard to get used to mountain bikers on hiking trails since
>> totally different mental attitudes are involved. Mountain bikers are
>> into fun and games and hikers are into making pilgrimages to find
>> Truth and God.

> BWAHAHAHHA. Oh, Great One... Mikey V. is a RAGING atheist. ("It's
> obvious. Duh.")
>
>> All wilderness areas and pristine natural areas will be forever
>> closed to bikers. Vandeman and I will see to that.

> More good stuff. Thanks!
>
>> You are not worthy of wilderness. What you are worthy of is Coney
>> Island and/or Disney World.

> That's more like it.
>
> BS

How's Mommy?

BBBWWWAAHHHAA

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Ed Pirrero" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Edward Dolan wrote:
> >> "Ed Pirrero" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> [newsgroups restored]

> > Obviously, netiquette is not your forte.

> You were impolite, so I was impolite back.

Impolite by trimming the huge x-post? That's a very strange definition
of "impolite".

So strange, in fact, that I think you are just being a weasel.

> Surely that is fair.

Nope. Two wrongs don't make a right (even assuming that eliminating
the massive x-post is impolite.)

That and your idiotic full-quoting. You're the last person who should
be making politeness determinations.

> >> There is a long history of trails being for hikers and equestrians only.

> > Actually, the history has been that only those things *existed*. In
> > the last 30 years, types and kinds of uses have expanded somewhat.

> That is unfortunately true, but I go back to when those trails were first
> built - over a hundred years ago in many instances.

"Built"? You're kidding, right? Many of the trails, and even roadways
we use, started as *game trails*. They weren't built, they were
co-opted by human hikers.

> Unless those original
> trails have been upgraded, they are not suited for bikes.

How strange, then, that I can ride on game trails all day long. How is
that possible?

In fact, I can ride on trails *too narrow* for comfortable walking. So
your unique definition of "trails suitable for biking" or "walking" is
questionable, at best.

> > Since you will unable to curtail those uses, you should find a way to
> > get used to them.

> It is very hard to get used to mountain bikers on hiking trails since
> totally different mental attitudes are involved.

This is a strawman argument. And one made with absolutely no real
knowledge. You have no idea what "attitude" MTBers bring with them on
the trail.

> Mountain bikers are into
> fun and games and hikers are into making pilgrimages to find Truth and God.

Neither of those characterizations is even close to being true for the
majority of the persons in the groups you mention.

You should really check the hypocrisy meter before you call other
people "liars".

> > Luckily, we can use multi-use trails without destroying more land for
> > segregated trails. You're advocating additional human encroachment
> > into wild spaces? Hmmm, doesn't sound very respectful of nature...

> I am advocating that bike trails be built only in already developed
> recreational areas. This can include much of the National Forest and BLM
> lands.

And that's where the hugely vast majority of those trails are. The
multi-use ones, that is.

> I trust the National Parks and State Parks to severely restrict
> mountain biking.

The National Parks already are very restricted, and I'm not sure
there's much of a problem with this, from any quarter. But don't
imagine that somehow this will keep them pristine - if you've ever
hiked in Arches NP, you'll see that foot traffic only has made trails
over 10 feet wide in places - and that's a huge swath in terms of a
fragile ecosystem.

State parks? I know of a few in WA that *encourage* MTBing. Like
Deception Pass State Park. The trails near Cranberry Lake are great.

> Any mountain biker who tries to invade wilderness should be
> thrown up against a wall and executed Mexican style.

Yeah, you're a real tough guy. LOL.

> >> The wilderness is not
> >> for the likes of you.

> > Of course it is. You'll just have to get used to sharing it.

> There are plenty of recreational lands for you to ride your bike on.

And in those areas where there are multi-use trails, you'll just have
to get used to MTBers. That and other places where MTBs were
incorrectly classified with motorized vehicles, which is now being
corrected.

> That
> you would want to invade the sacred wilderness on a bike marks you as a
> savage. Try to get some culture, why don't you.

Your opinion is amusing, but luckily completely fanicful.

> > The only trails I have ever seen that are unsuitable for mountain bikes
> > were also not suitable for casual walkers. They were boulder field
> > scrambles, or small slot canyons where bikes just wouldn't fit.
> >
> > And they weren't at very high altitudes.
> >
> > The trails MOST suitable for MTBers are the higher-altitude trails in
> > CO and UT.
> >
> > So much for your blanket statement, eh?

> Vandeman is right. Mountain bikers are the scum of the earth!

Of course, you don't like being overmastered by a superior intellect.
It's human nature. But name-calling will not change the fact that your
mistaken impression of what constitutes a superior biking trail is at
odds with what is actually a superior biking trail.

> >> Vandeman and I are working hard to get your and your ilk banned from
> >> wilderness areas.

> > Except you won't be able to. So do your Sisyphus impression all you
> > want. The plain fact is that MORE areas are being opened to MTBers, so
> > your Holy Crusade is coming up exactly opposite of your intent.

> All wilderness areas and pristine natural areas will be forever closed to
> bikers. Vandeman and I will see to that.

No, you won't. Neither one of you has any sort of power to do that.
He doesn't have the intellectual capacity, and you don't understand how
politics works. But if you wish to imagine otherwise, OK by me. I'll
keep riding my bike in ever-expanding legal areas.

> >> You strike me as nothing but a typical lazy mountain biker
> >> slob.

> > Hiding behind the safety of your keyboard makes it very easy to say
> > that. Chalk up another courageous usenetter!
> >
> > Since you obviously have no idea what it takes to ride a bike on
> > trails, I'll let your laughable statement pass.

> When you are riding your bike, you are into fun and games.

False.

> It is nothing but
> a g.d. sport to you.

False.

> You are not fit to ever place a single foot in my
> sacred wilderness.

Actually, I'm quite fit. And since the land doesn't belong to you,
personally, I may visit it in any legal manner I choose. Tough luck
for the internet tough guy. :)

> You are a savage - nothing but a despoiler of culture and
> all the finer things in life.

I'm sure that this is merely projection on your part.

> May you perish for your blasphemy against the
> Wilderness.

LOL. Your threat is duly noted.

> >> Most trails ... are easily
> >> destroyed by bikes.

> > Another unsupported assertion. Do you envirowackos know anything about
> > LOGIC?

> Here we see an idiot trying to equate trails with roads.

Well, since I didn't do that, here we have another strawman. When
you're losing an argument, invent one for your opponent!

> >> The public lands have to be managed so as not to create a lot of
> >> conflicts
> >> among users.

> > Sure. That doesn't include excluding a group of users because *you
> > personally* don't like them. Most people get over that by the fourth
> > grade. What's your excuse?

> We cannot use the same trails because of the conflicts, both physical and
> mental.

There are no physical conflicts, any more than there would be if it
were hikers using the trails in opposite directions. The "mental"
conflicts you claim exist only in your mind, and are thus not only
invalid, but hilarious.

> > Or on any public lands not designated "Wilderness". But no, cutting
> > even more trails doesn't make any sense. Keeping human impact down
> > while still providing recreation should be the ultimate goal.

> "We cannot use the same trails because of the conflicts, both physical and
> mental." - Ed Dolan

"Dolan is an delusional wacko." - Ed Pirrero

Quoting your own opinion doesn't make it valid.

> > Wow, more usenet courage. I wish I could be such a tough guy behind my
> > computer screen. The internet is great - you can be tough AND
> > good-looking.

> You are not worthy of wilderness.

More of your inane opinion. Luckily, I'm not bound by your singular
opinion. In fact, I scoff at it. If you were directly in my presence,
I think we both know that you'd be a bit more circumspect in your
commentary.

Have fun pretending your efforts matter,

E.P.

>> Surely that is fair.
>Nope. Two wrongs don't make a right

Two Wrights made an airplane fly! Oh and before they did that, the
built (care to take a wild guess?) BICYCLES...
They even invented the left handed thread to keep the left pedal from
unscrewing itself. Which by the way, has MANY usefull applications in
the modern world.

> >> There is a long history of trails being for hikers and equestrians only.

Do some research on Buffalo Soldier Bicycle Corps... back in the 1890's
(how's that for history) they rode into Northern Montana and toured
Yellowstone (hmm.... a National Park perhaps?) on bicycles. They
traveled almost 2,000 miles from Ft. Missoula, MT across the Rocky
Mountains and Great Plains, all the way to St. Louis, MO. I think there
might be a historical precedent there......

> Any mountain biker who tries to invade wilderness should be
> thrown up against a wall and executed Mexican style.

That is a pretty harsh statement.... Have you ever witnessed such an
event?
Or even seen what the wall behind those who were executed looks like
several years later?
I have... In fact I ride by such a wall every day, it's a pretty
sobering sight I assure you.

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Ed Pirrero" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Edward Dolan wrote:
>>
>>>"Ed Pirrero" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>>[newsgroups restored]

> It is very hard to get used to mountain bikers on hiking trails since
> totally different mental attitudes are involved. Mountain bikers are into
> fun and games and hikers are into making pilgrimages to find Truth and God.

Any mountain biker who tries to invade wilderness should be
> thrown up against a wall and executed Mexican style.

I'm so relieved to hear of hikers' piety . . but is there something
incongruous here?

"IT3" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Who is saying what?

>>> Surely that is fair.

>>Nope. Two wrongs don't make a right

> Two Wrights made an airplane fly! Oh and before they did that, the
> built (care to take a wild guess?) BICYCLES...
> They even invented the left handed thread to keep the left pedal from
> unscrewing itself. Which by the way, has MANY usefull applications in
> the modern world.

> Do some research on Buffalo Soldier Bicycle Corps... back in the 1890's
> (how's that for history) they rode into Northern Montana and toured
> Yellowstone (hmm.... a National Park perhaps?) on bicycles. They
> traveled almost 2,000 miles from Ft. Missoula, MT across the Rocky
> Mountains and Great Plains, all the way to St. Louis, MO. I think there
> might be a historical precedent there......
>

>> Any mountain biker who tries to invade wilderness should be
>> thrown up against a wall and executed Mexican style.

> That is a pretty harsh statement.... Have you ever witnessed such an
> event?
> Or even seen what the wall behind those who were executed looks like
> several years later?
> I have... In fact I ride by such a wall every day, it's a pretty
> sobering sight I assure you.

Remember that scene from the movie "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre"? After
the Mexican bandits have murdered Humphry Bogart, they are caught by the
police and are immediately executed by firing squad. Nobody seemed to mind
dying, not even the bandits. Well, that is what life is like when life is
cheap I guess.

Actually, I think a bullet to the back of the head is probably the most
humane way to put someone out of their misery, don't you?