Real Names vs. User Names

"Eugene Miya" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>> Read Vernor Vinge's True Names.

I wil take a pass on it as I am not that interested. I have got my name and
if others want stupid names then they are welcome to them.

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Edward Dolan <[email protected]> wrote:
>>I know relatively little (next to nothing really) about how computers
>>work,
>>but I can see that is not the case with Eugene. Nevertheless, it has been
>>my
>>experience that the worst scofflaws on Usenet are those who use user names
>>as opposed to those using their real names. Anonymity really does breed
>>incivility.

> Anonmity was built into the ARPAnet before I ever got on in 1973
> (sometime between '69-'73)..
>
>>However, I also believe there is no real anonymity on the Internet. An
>>expert investigator will be able to trace anything to anyone. Therefore,
>>it behooves us all to keep a civil tongue in our heads.

> It's not merely a matter of one's tongue but also one's ears.
> Let them make jerks of themselves. Use a smart read and learn about
> Killfiles. These are all features placed into protocols for people to
> get along and coexist in cyberspace.

I do not care about getting along with anyone and it would never occur to me
to kill file anyone. Words can never hurt me. Besides, I like a good verbal
fight!

> I have traced people. People have traced me. I know professional
> tracers.
>
> This is not merely an issue of computers but also computer networks and
> software. The alt.* groups were specifically set up for a maximum of
> free speech ( I know Gilmore well, I took his DES cracking book at his
> request into the halls of the NSA; he wanted assurances that they had
> his book: he wants them to sell it in their gift shop, but they have
> other investments ).

I guess I really don't understand how the alt. groups differ from any of the
other newsgroups.

> It's the smart ear which is more important.

I am very good at listening, but I return with interest anything that does
not strike my fancy. Others have accused me of abusing the protocols of
Usenet, but I do not think I ever do that. I am merely contentious and I
like to argue. Surely that is what Usenet is all about, is it not?

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

"S Curtiss" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> Mike Vandeman uses his real name, and all he posts is gobbledygook, and
>>> he makes no effort to conceal the fact that he is a scoundrel. I like
>>> your theory, but I found an exception to the rule.

>> I have not noted the offenses that you speak of in reference to Vandeman.
>> Like me, he is contentious and returns invective with invective. After
>> all, if someone is calling you a liar, then you have every right to
>> return the favor.

> I suggest you do a little research. MV has a long history of name-calling,
> character assasination, misrepresentation, manipulation of information and
> accusatory / inflamatory rhetoric. All it takes is too disagree with his
> OPINION or to call him on specifics of fact.

Curtiss, others have accused me of the same things. I think you and he are
about equal when it comes to the name calling. I am no cipher in that
department myself, but I prefer not to do it if possible.

> Yes... he receives a few childish and harshly worded emails. Either from
> newbies from the ng that do not know his history, or from people who come
> across a reference while looking for MTB information. His posting a few
> emails as a claim that all off-road cyclists think and or behave in the
> manner reflected in those emails should be an indicator to these
> "offenses".

How would you like to get those kind of emails? No one deserves that, least
of all Vandeman. All he is doing is asserting a point of view which is not
popular with mountain bikers. Is that a crime?

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

NGM? WTF? Haven't seen that abbr before.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> Yes... he receives a few childish and harshly worded emails. Either from
>> newbies from the ng that do not know his history, or from people who come
>> across a reference while looking for MTB information. His posting a few
>> emails as a claim that all off-road cyclists think and or behave in the
>> manner reflected in those emails should be an indicator to these
>> "offenses".

> How would you like to get those kind of emails? No one deserves that,
> least of all Vandeman. All he is doing is asserting a point of view which
> is not popular with mountain bikers. Is that a crime?

Mike ASKS for those emails. He runs a website with TOTALLY inaccurate
"scientific" reports where he authors many of them, and refers to one when
he writes another. HE says the sky is falling, then points to the report of
the Sky is Falling when he writes that the sky is lower than it used to be.
He is his own point of reference, and this approach invites the abusive
emails he gets.

When anybody attempts to point out his flawed "research", HE retorts that
they are a liar (LIAR, is his exact quote). I have tried fruitlessly to
discuss his views, and he simply sent to his Ignore List. He has no interest
in rational discussion of the facts.

"Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> Mike Vandeman uses his real name, and all he posts is gobbledygook, and
>>> he makes no effort to conceal the fact that he is a scoundrel. I like
>>> your theory, but I found an exception to the rule.

>> I have not noted the offenses that you speak of in reference to Vandeman.
>> Like me, he is contentious and returns invective with invective. After
>> all, if someone is calling you a liar, then you have every right to
>> return the favor.

> Then, you must be new here. Mike posts huge quantities of flawed data,
> where the flaws always support his agenda. The data NEVER takes into
> account the facts that many of the routes he would close -- he would close
> them all, by the way -- have been on the ground for a century, sometimes
> more. He is prone to point to his own work as proof of his assertions. He
> ignores any fact that refutes his assertions in any way.

Even if what you say is true, I like his bias. It is the same as mine. I am
against mountain bikers using trails that were originally designed for
hikers. Mountain bikers need to have their own trails, and those trails
should never go anywhere near a wilderness.

> I am not a mountain bike rider, but I do participate in offroad (off
> HIGHWAY) travel on roads that were used at the turn of the 20th century as
> mining roads. The ground is fine, the species are in great shape, yet
> Vandeman would close the route(s) if he had his way. I use routes that
> were used in the days of the Pony Express, and Mike and his ilk would
> close them even in the face of facts that show closure would actually be
> an impediment to the very species he(they) seeks to protect.

I agree with you on the above. I like to bike those kind of roads too. That
is the reason I got my mountain bike in the first place. But note the kind
of emails that Vandeman gets. That right there is enough to drive anyone to
the point of rage.

> Observe posters that try to talk to him rationally, and see how HE retorts
> to name calling and invective. He is an obvious exception to the traits
> you call out in your first post. But, I like your theory. It holds up much
> of the time, just not in the case of Vandeman.

I am so used to folks castigating me that everything now is like water off a
duck's back. I have lost all of my former sensitivity and have grown the
hide of rhinoceros. I will argue my positions with as much energy as I can
muster, but I am not afraid to admit defeat when I have been shown the error
of my ways.

Vandeman no doubt is a true believer which requires him to take an extreme
position the better to make his arguments stand out against all the static.
All innovators and original minds are like that. I am more like the rest of
you. I will make compromises and I can be a diplomat when it is required.

"No! I am not Prince Hamlet, nor was meant to be;
Am an attendant lord, one that will do
To swell a progress, start a scene or two,
Advise the prince; no doubt, an easy tool,
Deferential, glad to be of use,
Politic, cautious, and meticulous;
Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse;
At times, indeed, almost ridiculous-
Almost, at times, the Fool."

T. S. Eliot - The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

"CowPunk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
>> aka
>> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

>Edward Dolan, (507) 727-0306, 1028 4th Ave, Worthington, MN 56187
>
> Do you prefer Dominos or Pizza Hut?

You also have a real name and address and no doubt a telephone number too.
But who cares? Certainly not me!

Live Free of Die!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> I have not noted the offenses that you speak of in reference to
>>> Vandeman. Like me, he is contentious and returns invective with
>>> invective. After all, if someone is calling you a liar, then you have
>>> every right to return the favor.

>> Then, you must be new here. Mike posts huge quantities of flawed data,
>> where the flaws always support his agenda. The data NEVER takes into
>> account the facts that many of the routes he would close -- he would
>> close them all, by the way -- have been on the ground for a century,
>> sometimes more. He is prone to point to his own work as proof of his
>> assertions. He ignores any fact that refutes his assertions in any way.

> Even if what you say is true, I like his bias. It is the same as mine. I
> am against mountain bikers using trails that were originally designed for
> hikers. Mountain bikers need to have their own trails, and those trails
> should never go anywhere near a wilderness.

That is NOT Mike's bias. His bias is to CLOSE all wilderness areas to all
visitation. Today, his rubber du jour is bike tires, tomorrow his rubber
will be boots. His bias seems to completely ignore development and go after
recreational uses.

> [...]

> hikers. Mountain bikers need to have their own trails, and those trails
> should never go anywhere near a wilderness.
>
>> I am not a mountain bike rider, but I do participate in offroad (off
>> HIGHWAY) travel on roads that were used at the turn of the 20th century
>> as mining roads. The ground is fine, the species are in great shape, yet
>> Vandeman would close the route(s) if he had his way. I use routes that
>> were used in the days of the Pony Express, and Mike and his ilk would
>> close them even in the face of facts that show closure would actually be
>> an impediment to the very species he(they) seeks to protect.

> I agree with you on the above. I like to bike those kind of roads too.
> That is the reason I got my mountain bike in the first place. But note the
> kind of emails that Vandeman gets. That right there is enough to drive

His "rage" is of his own making, and I question his sincerity on that point.
I think he goes out of his way to attract his rage, then he posts it in a
public forum with the tagline that everybody is as the author in the notes
he has posted.

>> Observe posters that try to talk to him rationally, and see how HE
>> retorts to name calling and invective. He is an obvious exception to the
>> traits you call out in your first post. But, I like your theory. It holds
>> up much of the time, just not in the case of Vandeman.

> I am so used to folks castigating me that everything now is like water off
> a duck's back. I have lost all of my former sensitivity and have grown the
> hide of rhinoceros. I will argue my positions with as much energy as I can
> muster, but I am not afraid to admit defeat when I have been shown the
> error of my ways.
>
> Vandeman no doubt is a true believer which requires him to take an extreme
> position the better to make his arguments stand out against all the
> static. All innovators and original minds are like that. I am more like
> the rest of you. I will make compromises and I can be a diplomat when it
> is required.

Mike makes the case that a single track trail is the bane of the
environment -- leaving aside for a moment that there may be other kinds of
users on the route. Assuming his assertion that a single track is solely
used by mountain bikers, and using the assumption that a single track is
1.5ft wide, a route that bisects a square mile and is itself a mile long,
takes up less than 0.04% of the area it bisects. All of the route is not
possible to be the environmental wasteland that Mike makes it out to be, but
let's say that 25% of the route is what Mike asserts. This makes 0.01% of
the square mile into an environmental catastrophy, hardly an issue that
demands new laws and rules to prevent recreational uses. This is roughly
equivelent to a letter size sheet of paper destroying the habitat the size
of a tennis court. The math is, 1.5 x 5,280 = 7,920 sq ft. There are 43,560
sq ft in an acre, and 640 acres in a sq mi. The trail I described takes 18%
of an acre, and this is 0.04% of a sq mi. Keep in mind that the average
residential lot in California is roughly 7,500 sq ft, you see that a single
track trail that is a mile long is equivelent to the land that a house sits
on. When there is one house on 640 acres, that house has very little impact
on the habitat or the species that live there.

Perspective. That is what Mike is missing.

Vandeman claims that mountain bikers contribute to global warming. To the
extent they strap their bikes to the roof of the family sedan to get them to
the trail head, I suppose this is true. But, hikers also contribute in the
same way to global warming because they also pile into the family sedan to
drive to the trailhead. Let's not forget the mother driving to the market to
get a sack of groceries. She contributes to global warming. I'm not
suggesting we halt these activities, I'm suggesting that to single out bike
riders for special focus is inherently flawed. (Yes, global warming is a
serious problem, but banning mountain biking is not the cure, as Mike would
like you to believe.)

Personally, I drive a Jeep on the most rugged of routes that I can find.
This demands very low speeds where noise and dust are almost never an issue
for anybody. Yet, Vandeman would want you to believe that all vehicle
activity is unwanted by hikers and equestrians. In my vast experience, NO
hiker or equestrian has ever gotten mad at me or the group I travel with.
Admittedly, my sample is small, but I know lots of off-highway vehicle
operators, and except for the possible exception of desert racers, I think
that most of htem have the same experience with hikers and horses that I've
had. Basically, I'm suggesting that a very few hikers and horsemen have been
bothered by even fewer off highway vehicle operators. Indeed, in most of my
travels, the hikers and horsemen will stop and watch as the group I'm with
will negotiate a particularly difficult section of trail.

My life experience is vastly different than Vandeman's. I don't go around
calling on MORE off highway travel, but I do not support most calls for
less. I have research (I have had, I'm not sure I still have it) that shows
off highway travel is actually beneficial to a plant species that the CBD
(Center for Biological Diversity) is seeking to protect. The irony is, the
vehicles are better for the species than the protective measures banning the
vehicles. In short, the CBD is destroying a plant species in the name of
protecting it. A result of trail closures is that more and more vehicles are
crammed into smaller and smaller places, then there is a self-serving report
written that says the overcrowded places are destroying habitat. The fact
is, most of the habitat is not destroyed until after the concentration of
activity is raised in an effort to protect another place. I have been
offroading for coming up on 40 years in Southern California, and I'm here to
say that the vast majority of the areas that "need" protection have been
doing very well these past 40 years. I argue they need no protection beyond
the occasional police action because there is always an idiot in the crowd.
The desert regions I visit have prospered despite being designated off road
vehicle recreation areas.

Now, if one wants to discuss bikes and feet on the same trail, then I
suppose that is a reasonable discussion. But, it is my limited experience in
this arena that a little trail ettiquete would go a very long way in helping
resolve most of the issues. I think our efforts should be focused on
development, not recreation. Sure, there may be locales where recreation is
a bad thing, but these locales are the exception to the rule that recreation
isn't a bad thing. Recreation can be beneficial, and is usually beneficial
to all but that which happens to be in the middleof the single track itself.

Mike insists that as soon as a mountain bike is pulled out of the garage,
the environment goes to hell, despite mountains of evidence that this is not
true in the vast majority of his cites. Mike can only make his baseless
assertions because he has no perspective.

"Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> NGM? WTF? Haven't seen that abbr before.

I hate all these freaking abbreviations (including abbr). Who knows what
they mean? For Christ's sake, write it out!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

"Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>> Yes... he receives a few childish and harshly worded emails. Either
>>> from newbies from the ng that do not know his history, or from people
>>> who come across a reference while looking for MTB information. His
>>> posting a few emails as a claim that all off-road cyclists think and or
>>> behave in the manner reflected in those emails should be an indicator to
>>> these "offenses".

>> How would you like to get those kind of emails? No one deserves that,
>> least of all Vandeman. All he is doing is asserting a point of view which
>> is not popular with mountain bikers. Is that a crime?
>>

> Mike ASKS for those emails. He runs a website with TOTALLY inaccurate
> "scientific" reports where he authors many of them, and refers to one when
> he writes another. HE says the sky is falling, then points to the report
> of the Sky is Falling when he writes that the sky is lower than it used to
> be. He is his own point of reference, and this approach invites the
> abusive emails he gets.
>
> When anybody attempts to point out his flawed "research", HE retorts that
> they are a liar (LIAR, is his exact quote). I have tried fruitlessly to
> discuss his views, and he simply sent to his Ignore List. He has no
> interest in rational discussion of the facts.

Well, I am not going to get into these wars of yours. I like rational
discussion, but I do not allow myself to get bogged down by details. I like
to stay on the surface of things and keep things at the level of opinion
mostly. I am too lazy to do any research so I leave that to those who have
the energy for it. I am just a once over lightly kind of guy.

However, I am very much put off by anyone who uses obscenities. I have
occasionally done that in the past, but only in retaliation. I do not
believe Vandeman ever resorts to obscenities, whereas many of those mountain
biker emails that he gets seem to do that.

Finally, my bias will be for the hiker, not the biker. These are two
different worlds entirely and I want to keep them separate from one another.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

"Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Then, you must be new here. Mike posts huge quantities of flawed data,
>>> where the flaws always support his agenda. The data NEVER takes into
>>> account the facts that many of the routes he would close -- he would
>>> close them all, by the way -- have been on the ground for a century,
>>> sometimes more. He is prone to point to his own work as proof of his
>>> assertions. He ignores any fact that refutes his assertions in any way.

>> Even if what you say is true, I like his bias. It is the same as mine. I
>> am against mountain bikers using trails that were originally designed for
>> hikers. Mountain bikers need to have their own trails, and those trails
>> should never go anywhere near a wilderness.
>>

> That is NOT Mike's bias. His bias is to CLOSE all wilderness areas to all
> visitation. Today, his rubber du jour is bike tires, tomorrow his rubber
> will be boots. His bias seems to completely ignore development and go
> after recreational uses.

Wilderness Areas can be used by hikers (with some limitations from time to
time perhaps) and horse parties, if not too large. But that is about it as
far as I am concerned. I do not even like helicopters flying overhead.
Needless to say, Wildernesss Areas need to be managed even for the use of
hikers and horses, just as all natural areas need to be managed. No one can
ever do just whatever they want to do.

>>> I am not a mountain bike rider, but I do participate in offroad (off
>>> HIGHWAY) travel on roads that were used at the turn of the 20th century
>>> as mining roads. The ground is fine, the species are in great shape, yet
>>> Vandeman would close the route(s) if he had his way. I use routes that
>>> were used in the days of the Pony Express, and Mike and his ilk would
>>> close them even in the face of facts that show closure would actually be
>>> an impediment to the very species he(they) seeks to protect.

>> I agree with you on the above. I like to bike those kind of roads too.
>> That is the reason I got my mountain bike in the first place. But note
>> the kind of emails that Vandeman gets. That right there is enough to
>> drive anyone to the point of rage.
>>
>>> Observe posters that try to talk to him rationally, and see how HE
>>> retorts to name calling and invective. He is an obvious exception to the
>>> traits you call out in your first post. But, I like your theory. It
>>> holds up much of the time, just not in the case of Vandeman.

>> I am so used to folks castigating me that everything now is like water
>> off a duck's back. I have lost all of my former sensitivity and have
>> grown the hide of rhinoceros. I will argue my positions with as much
>> energy as I can muster, but I am not afraid to admit defeat when I have
>> been shown the error of my ways.
>>
>> Vandeman no doubt is a true believer which requires him to take an
>> extreme position the better to make his arguments stand out against all
>> the static. All innovators and original minds are like that. I am more
>> like the rest of you. I will make compromises and I can be a diplomat
>> when it is required.
>>
>> "No! I am not Prince Hamlet, nor was meant to be;
>> Am an attendant lord, one that will do
>> To swell a progress, start a scene or two,
>> Advise the prince; no doubt, an easy tool,
>> Deferential, glad to be of use,
>> Politic, cautious, and meticulous;
>> Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse;
>> At times, indeed, almost ridiculous-
>> Almost, at times, the Fool."
>>
>> T. S. Eliot - The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
>> aka
>> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

"Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Then, you must be new here. Mike posts huge quantities of flawed data,
>>> where the flaws always support his agenda. The data NEVER takes into
>>> account the facts that many of the routes he would close -- he would
>>> close them all, by the way -- have been on the ground for a century,
>>> sometimes more. He is prone to point to his own work as proof of his
>>> assertions. He ignores any fact that refutes his assertions in any way.

>> Even if what you say is true, I like his bias. It is the same as mine. I
>> am against mountain bikers using trails that were originally designed for
>> hikers. Mountain bikers need to have their own trails, and those trails
>> should never go anywhere near a wilderness.
>>
>>> I am not a mountain bike rider, but I do participate in offroad (off
>>> HIGHWAY) travel on roads that were used at the turn of the 20th century
>>> as mining roads. The ground is fine, the species are in great shape, yet
>>> Vandeman would close the route(s) if he had his way. I use routes that
>>> were used in the days of the Pony Express, and Mike and his ilk would
>>> close them even in the face of facts that show closure would actually be
>>> an impediment to the very species he(they) seeks to protect.

>> I agree with you on the above. I like to bike those kind of roads too.
>> That is the reason I got my mountain bike in the first place. But note
>> the kind of emails that Vandeman gets. That right there is enough to
>> drive anyone to the point of rage.
>>

> His "rage" is of his own making, and I question his sincerity on that
> point. I think he goes out of his way to attract his rage, then he posts
> it in a public forum with the tagline that everybody is as the author in
> the notes he has posted.

Nope, others use obscenities on him and he does not return the favor like I
would. He shows us the mentality of mountain bikers when he posts their
obscene emails to him on the newsgroups.

>>> Observe posters that try to talk to him rationally, and see how HE
>>> retorts to name calling and invective. He is an obvious exception to the
>>> traits you call out in your first post. But, I like your theory. It
>>> holds up much of the time, just not in the case of Vandeman.

>> I am so used to folks castigating me that everything now is like water
>> off a duck's back. I have lost all of my former sensitivity and have
>> grown the hide of rhinoceros. I will argue my positions with as much
>> energy as I can muster, but I am not afraid to admit defeat when I have
>> been shown the error of my ways.
>>
>> Vandeman no doubt is a true believer which requires him to take an
>> extreme position the better to make his arguments stand out against all
>> the static. All innovators and original minds are like that. I am more
>> like the rest of you. I will make compromises and I can be a diplomat
>> when it is required.
>>

> Mike makes the case that a single track trail is the bane of the
> environment -- leaving aside for a moment that there may be other kinds of
> users on the route. Assuming his assertion that a single track is solely
> used by mountain bikers, and using the assumption that a single track is
> 1.5ft wide, a route that bisects a square mile and is itself a mile long,
> takes up less than 0.04% of the area it bisects. All of the route is not
> possible to be the environmental wasteland that Mike makes it out to be,
> but let's say that 25% of the route is what Mike asserts. This makes 0.01%
> of the square mile into an environmental catastrophy, hardly an issue that
> demands new laws and rules to prevent recreational uses. This is roughly
> equivelent to a letter size sheet of paper destroying the habitat the size
> of a tennis court. The math is, 1.5 x 5,280 = 7,920 sq ft. There are
> 43,560 sq ft in an acre, and 640 acres in a sq mi. The trail I described
> takes 18% of an acre, and this is 0.04% of a sq mi. Keep in mind that the
> average residential lot in California is roughly 7,500 sq ft, you see that
> a single track trail that is a mile long is equivelent to the land that a
> house sits on. When there is one house on 640 acres, that house has very
> little impact on the habitat or the species that live there.
>
> Perspective. That is what Mike is missing.

I am pretty sure it is not just about trail degradation, but the impact that
humans can have on wildlife by being present in an area. A lone walker is
not the same thing as group of mountain bikers. It appears to me that you
are the one lacking perspective.

> Vandeman claims that mountain bikers contribute to global warming. To the
> extent they strap their bikes to the roof of the family sedan to get them
> to the trail head, I suppose this is true. But, hikers also contribute in
> the same way to global warming because they also pile into the family
> sedan to drive to the trailhead. Let's not forget the mother driving to
> the market to get a sack of groceries. She contributes to global warming.
> I'm not suggesting we halt these activities, I'm suggesting that to single
> out bike riders for special focus is inherently flawed. (Yes, global
> warming is a serious problem, but banning mountain biking is not the cure,
> as Mike would like you to believe.)
>
> Personally, I drive a Jeep on the most rugged of routes that I can find.
> This demands very low speeds where noise and dust are almost never an
> issue for anybody. Yet, Vandeman would want you to believe that all
> vehicle activity is unwanted by hikers and equestrians. In my vast
> experience, NO hiker or equestrian has ever gotten mad at me or the group
> I travel with. Admittedly, my sample is small, but I know lots of
> off-highway vehicle operators, and except for the possible exception of
> desert racers, I think that most of htem have the same experience with
> hikers and horses that I've had. Basically, I'm suggesting that a very few
> hikers and horsemen have been bothered by even fewer off highway vehicle
> operators. Indeed, in most of my travels, the hikers and horsemen will
> stop and watch as the group I'm with will negotiate a particularly
> difficult section of trail.

I am not much in favor of off-road vehicles ever being off the road. This is
a much more serious issue than mountain bikes being off-road. You truly do
not know how you are impacting other outdoor users. Who is going to get into
a confrontation with strangers in this day and age when you are likely to
get murdered over nothing at all. I can assure you that anyone who is not in
an off-road vehicle himself DOES object to encountering such use by
vehicles.

> My life experience is vastly different than Vandeman's. I don't go around
> calling on MORE off highway travel, but I do not support most calls for
> less. I have research (I have had, I'm not sure I still have it) that
> shows off highway travel is actually beneficial to a plant species that
> the CBD (Center for Biological Diversity) is seeking to protect. The irony
> is, the vehicles are better for the species than the protective measures
> banning the vehicles.

Nope, I will never believe any of the above to be true.

In short, the CBD is destroying a plant species in the name of
> protecting it. A result of trail closures is that more and more vehicles
> are crammed into smaller and smaller places, then there is a self-serving
> report written that says the overcrowded places are destroying habitat.
> The fact is, most of the habitat is not destroyed until after the
> concentration of activity is raised in an effort to protect another place.

All off-road vehicle activity should be banned everywhere.

I have been
> offroading for coming up on 40 years in Southern California, and I'm here
> to say that the vast majority of the areas that "need" protection have
> been doing very well these past 40 years. I argue they need no protection
> beyond the occasional police action because there is always an idiot in
> the crowd. The desert regions I visit have prospered despite being
> designated off road vehicle recreation areas.

You fail utterly to convince me. Vehicles off-road are very destructive of
the natural scene, especially in desert areas. All natural areas are quite
fragile and have only limited ability to recover from vehicles. Hence, the
reason for roads.

> Now, if one wants to discuss bikes and feet on the same trail, then I
> suppose that is a reasonable discussion. But, it is my limited experience
> in this arena that a little trail ettiquete would go a very long way in
> helping resolve most of the issues.

There are different mental attitudes involved in the two activities. That is
why they are not compatible.

I think our efforts should be focused on
> development, not recreation. Sure, there may be locales where recreation
> is a bad thing, but these locales are the exception to the rule that
> recreation isn't a bad thing. Recreation can be beneficial, and is usually
> beneficial to all but that which happens to be in the middleof the single
> track itself.

Certain areas can be developed for human recreation as they are already
pretty much ruined anyway. They can be restored possibly, but all really
natural and pristine areas need to be set aside and not developed at all.
Have some pity on the wild things of the earth.

> Mike insists that as soon as a mountain bike is pulled out of the garage,
> the environment goes to hell, despite mountains of evidence that this is
> not true in the vast majority of his cites. Mike can only make his
> baseless assertions because he has no perspective.

Mountain bikes belong on some kind of road, however rough. They do not
belong on footpaths anywhere.

Jeff, you have not convinced me at all that Vandeman is being unreasonable.
He is just being a purist. We need these types. They force us to rethink our
own positions. Vandeman engenders as much response as he does because he is
not unreasonable. If he were, everyone would write him off as crazy and
ignore him. It is not possible to do that because there is sense to what he
says, no matter how much you might disagree with him.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

On Sun, 14 May 2006 02:04:40 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:p[email protected]...
>>
>> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Even if what you say is true, I like his bias. It is the same as mine. I
>>> am against mountain bikers using trails that were originally designed for
>>> hikers. Mountain bikers need to have their own trails, and those trails
>>> should never go anywhere near a wilderness.

>>> I agree with you on the above. I like to bike those kind of roads too.
>>> That is the reason I got my mountain bike in the first place. But note
>>> the kind of emails that Vandeman gets. That right there is enough to
>>> drive anyone to the point of rage.
>>>

>> His "rage" is of his own making, and I question his sincerity on that
>> point. I think he goes out of his way to attract his rage, then he posts
>> it in a public forum with the tagline that everybody is as the author in
>> the notes he has posted.

Oh, sure. Blame the victim!

> [...]

>> not true in the vast majority of his cites. Mike can only make his
>> baseless assertions because he has no perspective.

>Mountain bikes belong on some kind of road, however rough. They do not
>belong on footpaths anywhere.
>
>Jeff, you have not convinced me at all that Vandeman is being unreasonable.
>He is just being a purist. We need these types. They force us to rethink our
>own positions. Vandeman engenders as much response as he does because he is
>not unreasonable. If he were, everyone would write him off as crazy and
>ignore him. It is not possible to do that because there is sense to what he
>says, no matter how much you might disagree with him.
>
>Regards,
>
>Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
>aka
>Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> How would you like to get those kind of emails? No one deserves that,
>>> least of all Vandeman. All he is doing is asserting a point of view
>>> which is not popular with mountain bikers. Is that a crime?
>>>

>> Mike ASKS for those emails. He runs a website with TOTALLY inaccurate
>> "scientific" reports where he authors many of them, and refers to one
>> when he writes another. HE says the sky is falling, then points to the
>> report of the Sky is Falling when he writes that the sky is lower than it
>> used to be. He is his own point of reference, and this approach invites
>> the abusive emails he gets.
>>
>> When anybody attempts to point out his flawed "research", HE retorts that
>> they are a liar (LIAR, is his exact quote). I have tried fruitlessly to
>> discuss his views, and he simply sent to his Ignore List. He has no
>> interest in rational discussion of the facts.

> Well, I am not going to get into these wars of yours. I like rational
> discussion, but I do not allow myself to get bogged down by details. I
> like to stay on the surface of things and keep things at the level of
> opinion mostly. I am too lazy to do any research so I leave that to those
> who have the energy for it. I am just a once over lightly kind of guy.

Well, please do not rely in Mike Vandeman's work to form your own opinion.

> However, I am very much put off by anyone who uses obscenities. I have
> occasionally done that in the past, but only in retaliation. I do not
> believe Vandeman ever resorts to obscenities, whereas many of those
> mountain biker emails that he gets seem to do that.

You're new here, aren't you? Mike sinks into the cesspool far too often.

> Finally, my bias will be for the hiker, not the biker. These are two
> different worlds entirely and I want to keep them separate from one
> another.

That's fair, I guess. My experience in this arena is on trails that can
support automobile travel, so the bikes, horses, and hikers that I see all
have plenty of room most of the time. I'm sure that there are places where
horses and cars don't fit, and hikers and bikers share these routes and it
can get crowded. Personally, I think you guys are all cut from the same
cloth, and should be able to get along. I's surprised to find so much
animosity -- mostly coming from the hiking community and directed at the
bike riders.

My particular bias is to preserve wilderness FOR recreation, not FROM
recreation. I even buy the notion that there are a few places where
recreation should be limited for a few months a year so animals can get to
water without being disturbed, but most animals will peacefully coexist with
humans that come and go. It's the humans that come and stay that chase
animals away.

You are aware, aren't you, that Mike Vandeman SUPPORTS harming bicycle
operators by stringing piano wire across the trail, and setting stakes in a
position to impale riders as they round a curve or jump a log? Yes, my
friend, Michael J Vandeman supports killing bike riders. There has been
discussion here as to whether or not he personally participates in these
activities. I have no proof that he is a participant, but the tenor of his
postings clearly show his support.

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Even if what you say is true, I like his bias. It is the same as mine. I
>>> am against mountain bikers using trails that were originally designed
>>> for hikers. Mountain bikers need to have their own trails, and those
>>> trails should never go anywhere near a wilderness.
>>>

>> That is NOT Mike's bias. His bias is to CLOSE all wilderness areas to all
>> visitation. Today, his rubber du jour is bike tires, tomorrow his rubber
>> will be boots. His bias seems to completely ignore development and go
>> after recreational uses.

> Wilderness Areas can be used by hikers (with some limitations from time to
> time perhaps) and horse parties, if not too large. But that is about it
> as far as I am concerned. I do not even like helicopters flying overhead.
> Needless to say, Wildernesss Areas need to be managed even for the use of
> hikers and horses, just as all natural areas need to be managed. No one
> can ever do just whatever they want to do.

I have never heard anybody call for open range on a wilderness area, where
we can go in and do whatever we want. Personally, all I want is to travel on
the existing routes to get from one place to another. I'm all for
management, that's fine. What I don't want is a gate across the trail. As I
said in another post, I have a trail in my area that is a hold over from the
Pony Express days, and the Mike Vandeman crowd wants it closed to everybody.

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> His "rage" is of his own making, and I question his sincerity on that
>> point. I think he goes out of his way to attract his rage, then he posts
>> it in a public forum with the tagline that everybody is as the author in
>> the notes he has posted.

> Nope, others use obscenities on him and he does not return the favor like
> I would. He shows us the mentality of mountain bikers when he posts their
> obscene emails to him on the newsgroups.

You're new here, aren't you?

>>> I am so used to folks castigating me that everything now is like water
>>> off a duck's back. I have lost all of my former sensitivity and have
>>> grown the hide of rhinoceros. I will argue my positions with as much
>>> energy as I can muster, but I am not afraid to admit defeat when I have
>>> been shown the error of my ways.
>>>
>>> Vandeman no doubt is a true believer which requires him to take an
>>> extreme position the better to make his arguments stand out against all
>>> the static. All innovators and original minds are like that. I am more
>>> like the rest of you. I will make compromises and I can be a diplomat
>>> when it is required.
>>>

>> Mike makes the case that a single track trail is the bane of the
>> environment -- leaving aside for a moment that there may be other kinds
>> of users on the route. Assuming his assertion that a single track is
>> solely used by mountain bikers, and using the assumption that a single
>> track is 1.5ft wide, a route that bisects a square mile and is itself a
>> mile long, takes up less than 0.04% of the area it bisects. All of the
>> route is not possible to be the environmental wasteland that Mike makes
>> it out to be, but let's say that 25% of the route is what Mike asserts.
>> This makes 0.01% of the square mile into an environmental catastrophy,
>> hardly an issue that demands new laws and rules to prevent recreational
>> uses. This is roughly equivelent to a letter size sheet of paper
>> destroying the habitat the size of a tennis court. The math is, 1.5 x
>> 5,280 = 7,920 sq ft. There are 43,560 sq ft in an acre, and 640 acres in
>> a sq mi. The trail I described takes 18% of an acre, and this is 0.04% of
>> a sq mi. Keep in mind that the average residential lot in California is
>> roughly 7,500 sq ft, you see that a single track trail that is a mile
>> long is equivelent to the land that a house sits on. When there is one
>> house on 640 acres, that house has very little impact on the habitat or
>> the species that live there.
>>
>> Perspective. That is what Mike is missing.

> I am pretty sure it is not just about trail degradation, but the impact
> that humans can have on wildlife by being present in an area. A lone
> walker is not the same thing as group of mountain bikers. It appears to me
> that you are the one lacking perspective.

A "lone" hiker? Hikers are just as likely to be in a group of 5 as a bike
rider is. It's absurd to compare groups of one traveler and pretend that
other travelers always travel alone. If you are going to make a comparison
of bikers and hikers, at least use the same size population.

The Grand Canyon has trails that have absolutely NO bikes on them, the only
traveler is on foot or on horseback -- mule back, really. Should we surmise
that all foot travel is therefore harmfull because of the erosion at the
Grand Canyon? The Grand Canyon is a giant example of erosion, but none of it
comes at the sole of a shoe. The trails need to have a service call on them
on a regular basis, that's true. But the environment is none the worse for
the wear that comes from the foot traffic.

A bike route in the San Francisco Bay Area might need a service call from
time to time, big deal. The environment is none the worse for the wear, and
surely there are other way more harmful activities that are doing a number
on the region. Sequoia Park is smog ridden from the **** that blows in from
the bay, and the trees are suffering badly as a result. The bike trails in
the park are an insignificant source of damage in the grand scheme of
things. That, my friend, is perspective.

>> Vandeman claims that mountain bikers contribute to global warming. To the
>> extent they strap their bikes to the roof of the family sedan to get them
>> to the trail head, I suppose this is true. But, hikers also contribute in
>> the same way to global warming because they also pile into the family
>> sedan to drive to the trailhead. Let's not forget the mother driving to
>> the market to get a sack of groceries. She contributes to global warming.
>> I'm not suggesting we halt these activities, I'm suggesting that to
>> single out bike riders for special focus is inherently flawed. (Yes,
>> global warming is a serious problem, but banning mountain biking is not
>> the cure, as Mike would like you to believe.)
>>
>> Personally, I drive a Jeep on the most rugged of routes that I can find.
>> This demands very low speeds where noise and dust are almost never an
>> issue for anybody. Yet, Vandeman would want you to believe that all
>> vehicle activity is unwanted by hikers and equestrians. In my vast
>> experience, NO hiker or equestrian has ever gotten mad at me or the group
>> I travel with. Admittedly, my sample is small, but I know lots of
>> off-highway vehicle operators, and except for the possible exception of
>> desert racers, I think that most of htem have the same experience with
>> hikers and horses that I've had. Basically, I'm suggesting that a very
>> few hikers and horsemen have been bothered by even fewer off highway
>> vehicle operators. Indeed, in most of my travels, the hikers and horsemen
>> will stop and watch as the group I'm with will negotiate a particularly
>> difficult section of trail.

> I am not much in favor of off-road vehicles ever being off the road. This
> is a much more serious issue than mountain bikes being off-road. You truly
> do not know how you are impacting other outdoor users. Who is going to get
> into a confrontation with strangers in this day and age when you are
> likely to get murdered over nothing at all. I can assure you that anyone
> who is not in an off-road vehicle himself DOES object to encountering such
> use by vehicles.

Wrong. I absolutely do know how I'm impacting other outdoor users. The vast
majority enjoy the show. I make it a point to slow to a crawl so I do not
kick up dust, and make lots of noise. I'm always friendly to whomever I come
across, and I carry ice and water, and frequently offer it. I stop
completely for horses, then proceed when the rider and the horse see me, and
I proceed in a manner to not alarm the horse. When I am negotiating a
particularly difficult section of trail, I draw crowds of horses and hikers,
and bikers. They always, that's A-W-A-Y-S, look and sound as though they
like what I am doing. And, I always travel in a group of at least 3, and
usually a group of 6 or 7.

I have been visiting the same areas for 40 years, give or take, and the
animals and plants are not showing any signs of distress as a result of
recreational activities. Yes, there might be some distress, but it is from
the air or from bugs that eat the trees, but not from the recreational uses
that occur there.

>> My life experience is vastly different than Vandeman's. I don't go around
>> calling on MORE off highway travel, but I do not support most calls for
>> less. I have research (I have had, I'm not sure I still have it) that
>> shows off highway travel is actually beneficial to a plant species that
>> the CBD (Center for Biological Diversity) is seeking to protect. The
>> irony is, the vehicles are better for the species than the protective
>> measures banning the vehicles.

> Nope, I will never believe any of the above to be true.

Well, you should. You said earlier that you don't do research, and are
largely opinion-based. The actual research does not support the opinion
youhave formed. Vandeman has the same problem, the actual research does not
support the opinions he has.

> In short, the CBD is destroying a plant species in the name of
>> protecting it. A result of trail closures is that more and more vehicles
>> are crammed into smaller and smaller places, then there is a self-serving
>> report written that says the overcrowded places are destroying habitat.
>> The fact is, most of the habitat is not destroyed until after the
>> concentration of activity is raised in an effort to protect another
>> place.

> All off-road vehicle activity should be banned everywhere.
>
> I have been
>> offroading for coming up on 40 years in Southern California, and I'm here
>> to say that the vast majority of the areas that "need" protection have
>> been doing very well these past 40 years. I argue they need no protection
>> beyond the occasional police action because there is always an idiot in
>> the crowd. The desert regions I visit have prospered despite being
>> designated off road vehicle recreation areas.

> You fail utterly to convince me. Vehicles off-road are very destructive of
> the natural scene, especially in desert areas. All natural areas are quite
> fragile and have only limited ability to recover from vehicles. Hence, the
> reason for roads.

Well, 99.9% of all off highway travel is on dirt roads. These are roads that
were built for any number of reasons, off highway travel being at the bottom
of the list. They are left over from these other uses, typically mining, but
we still like to use them. We can see all we want to see from the road, we
very seldom need to venture off the established road to get somewhere. Think
about it, if somewhere is worth getting to, the dirt road would already be
there, and venturing off the route isn't necessary or practical.

>> Now, if one wants to discuss bikes and feet on the same trail, then I
>> suppose that is a reasonable discussion. But, it is my limited experience
>> in this arena that a little trail ettiquete would go a very long way in
>> helping resolve most of the issues.

> There are different mental attitudes involved in the two activities. That
> is why they are not compatible.

********!

What makes you think that you have a different mindset than I have when we
are out on a trail? That's patently absurd, and selfish.

> I think our efforts should be focused on
>> development, not recreation. Sure, there may be locales where recreation
>> is a bad thing, but these locales are the exception to the rule that
>> recreation isn't a bad thing. Recreation can be beneficial, and is
>> usually beneficial to all but that which happens to be in the middleof
>> the single track itself.

> Certain areas can be developed for human recreation as they are already
> pretty much ruined anyway. They can be restored possibly, but all really
> natural and pristine areas need to be set aside and not developed at all.
> Have some pity on the wild things of the earth.

I already gave you an example of a weed that is in a set-aside area for off
road vehicles, and was subsequently closed to the vehicles. The weed is in
decline where the vehciles are banned, and is spreading where the vehicles
are still allowed. There are sand dunes near hear that were cut in half, one
side closed and the other remains open (both sides were once open), and the
plant that they want to protect is dying off in the closed area, but they
closed the area solely to protect the plant, and the plant flourishes where
the vehicles are still allowed. The exact opposite result is happening. I
have lots of studies that counter pretty much every opinion you hold. It's a
pity really that you would extrapolate your narrow experience on people that
have been living in the real world where this argument has been going on for
a very long time, and the plants and animals that should have been gone long
ago -- using the environmentalist's cries of doom and gloom.

I can cite the Big Horn Sheep habitat experience if you want; tell you how
the give and take from the offroad community to share the land has resulted
in a series of gates that keep the off road community out year around. We
agreed that the sheep -- lambs actually -- were scared of the vehicles and
would not come to the water. We agreed that the route past the water should
be gated part of the year so the lambs would not be frightened -- even
though the population decline could not be shown to be a result of offroad
activity. We agreed to give up access to the route for part of the year.
This went on for several years, then the gates remained locked year around.
Now, the water is so overgrown that the lambs can't get past the brush to
the water, and mountain lions lie in wait in the overgrown brush to attack
the lambs as they drink. The brush that grows across the trail now block a
historic route used by the Pony Express. The issue was that the Big Horn
Sheep habitat was being encroached upon by the golf courses in Palm Springs,
so since the habitat was shrinking, then we should close off a remote and
historic route that is used by less than 1500 visitors per year. This is a
strategy that makes no sense at all, and the few vehicles that went through
kept the brush back so the lambs could get to the water, and the mountain
lions had fewer places to hide so they could get at the lambs. The strategy
to save the lambs turns out to not only deny public access to public lands,
it harms the lamb population they were trying to save. Two bad things come
from the same strategy, and nothing good comes from it. And, public access
to public lands was never part of the problem faced by the Big Horn Sheep.

>> Mike insists that as soon as a mountain bike is pulled out of the garage,
>> the environment goes to hell, despite mountains of evidence that this is
>> not true in the vast majority of his cites. Mike can only make his
>> baseless assertions because he has no perspective.

> Mountain bikes belong on some kind of road, however rough. They do not
> belong on footpaths anywhere.
>
> Jeff, you have not convinced me at all that Vandeman is being
> unreasonable. He is just being a purist. We need these types. They force
> us to rethink our own positions. Vandeman engenders as much response as he
> does because he is not unreasonable. If he were, everyone would write him
> off as crazy and ignore him. It is not possible to do that because there
> is sense to what he says, no matter how much you might disagree with him.

He is completely unreasonable. He blamed a mountain lion attack on bikers as
being a result of the bikes! How unreasonable do you need him to be before
you see how unreasonable he is? HE cites the actions of two kids in a park
using bikes to jump over fallen trees as indicitive of the illegal actions
of all bike riders everywhere. How unreasonable do you need him to be?
Surely, you are not the same unreasonable sort as Vandeman.

Everyone DOES write him off as crazy, except, apparently, you. I accept the
notion that we need the discussion, and the watchdog. But Vandeman is
clearly not the person that should be talking or watching. His agenda is to
have you visit the wilderness by going to a museum and looking at a display
through the glass. He, and perhaps you, lives in one of the most congested
places in California -- I could give his address and you could GoogleEarth
his house -- so clearly his perspective is tainted. He works at Berkely, and
lives within walking distance. He wants everybody to walk to work because he
can. He wants everybody to sit at home on the weekend so he can go outside
and be alone. He can't go anywhere and be alone, and that frustrates him.
Today the bike tires, tomorrow the boot soles. Pick your rubber, one day it
will be banned if Mike gets his way.

"Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Mike ASKS for those emails. He runs a website with TOTALLY inaccurate
>>> "scientific" reports where he authors many of them, and refers to one
>>> when he writes another. HE says the sky is falling, then points to the
>>> report of the Sky is Falling when he writes that the sky is lower than
>>> it used to be. He is his own point of reference, and this approach
>>> invites the abusive emails he gets.
>>>
>>> When anybody attempts to point out his flawed "research", HE retorts
>>> that they are a liar (LIAR, is his exact quote). I have tried
>>> fruitlessly to discuss his views, and he simply sent to his Ignore List.
>>> He has no interest in rational discussion of the facts.

>> Well, I am not going to get into these wars of yours. I like rational
>> discussion, but I do not allow myself to get bogged down by details. I
>> like to stay on the surface of things and keep things at the level of
>> opinion mostly. I am too lazy to do any research so I leave that to
>> those who have the energy for it. I am just a once over lightly kind of
>> guy.
>>

> Well, please do not rely in Mike Vandeman's work to form your own opinion.

I was formerly a college librarian (in another life) and if and when I
undertake any research it will be thorough. However, I am getting ready to
depart this vale of woes, probably sooner rather than later, and so I shall
not waste what time I have left to engage either you or Vandeman in any kind
of details. All I know, and all I need to know, is that I have enjoyed
hiking over the years and I have never wanted to share my hiking trails with
anyone else but other hikers and equestrians.

>> However, I am very much put off by anyone who uses obscenities. I have
>> occasionally done that in the past, but only in retaliation. I do not
>> believe Vandeman ever resorts to obscenities, whereas many of those
>> mountain biker emails that he gets seem to do that.
>>

> You're new here, aren't you? Mike sinks into the cesspool far too often.

He does not resort to obscenities. That counts for a lot with me.

>> Finally, my bias will be for the hiker, not the biker. These are two
>> different worlds entirely and I want to keep them separate from one
>> another.
>>

> That's fair, I guess. My experience in this arena is on trails that can
> support automobile travel, so the bikes, horses, and hikers that I see all
> have plenty of room most of the time. I'm sure that there are places where
> horses and cars don't fit, and hikers and bikers share these routes and it
> can get crowded. Personally, I think you guys are all cut from the same
> cloth, and should be able to get along. I's surprised to find so much
> animosity -- mostly coming from the hiking community and directed at the
> bike riders.

Yes, I have hiked many jeep roads out West and it is OK for off-road
vehicles to be on those type of roads as far as I am concerned. But I do not
want any vehicles, not even mountain bikes, on my sacred footpaths in the
wilderness. When I encounter such miscreants on my sacred footpaths, I want
to murder them.

> My particular bias is to preserve wilderness FOR recreation, not FROM
> recreation. I even buy the notion that there are a few places where
> recreation should be limited for a few months a year so animals can get to
> water without being disturbed, but most animals will peacefully coexist
> with humans that come and go. It's the humans that come and stay that
> chase animals away.
>
> You are aware, aren't you, that Mike Vandeman SUPPORTS harming bicycle
> operators by stringing piano wire across the trail, and setting stakes in
> a position to impale riders as they round a curve or jump a log? Yes, my
> friend, Michael J Vandeman supports killing bike riders. There has been
> discussion here as to whether or not he personally participates in these
> activities. I have no proof that he is a participant, but the tenor of his
> postings clearly show his support.

He is just fantasizing as I do myself.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

"Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> That is NOT Mike's bias. His bias is to CLOSE all wilderness areas to
>>> all visitation. Today, his rubber du jour is bike tires, tomorrow his
>>> rubber will be boots. His bias seems to completely ignore development
>>> and go after recreational uses.

>> Wilderness Areas can be used by hikers (with some limitations from time
>> to time perhaps) and horse parties, if not too large. But that is about
>> it as far as I am concerned. I do not even like helicopters flying
>> overhead. Needless to say, Wildernesss Areas need to be managed even for
>> the use of hikers and horses, just as all natural areas need to be
>> managed. No one can ever do just whatever they want to do.
>>

> I have never heard anybody call for open range on a wilderness area, where
> we can go in and do whatever we want. Personally, all I want is to travel
> on the existing routes to get from one place to another. I'm all for
> management, that's fine. What I don't want is a gate across the trail. As
> I said in another post, I have a trail in my area that is a hold over from
> the Pony Express days, and the Mike Vandeman crowd wants it closed to
> everybody.

I will go along with you on that. Roads that are already established, even
jeep roads, can stay but let us preserve what little wilderness is left by
banning any more roads. Frankly, I do not think we need any more trails
either, except perhaps trails for mountain bikes in already developed
recreational areas.

The wilderness is sacred to me. It is where we all come from as a species.
We should revere it and preserve it as best we can. There is just so little
of it left. You really need to go to old Europe to see what man has done to
that continent. Yes, parts of it are a garden, but there is no wilderness
left there (except maybe in the high arctic). We do not need to do the New
World what man has done to the Old World.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

"Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...

> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>> His "rage" is of his own making, and I question his sincerity on that
>>> point. I think he goes out of his way to attract his rage, then he posts
>>> it in a public forum with the tagline that everybody is as the author in
>>> the notes he has posted.

>> Nope, others use obscenities on him and he does not return the favor like
>> I would. He shows us the mentality of mountain bikers when he posts their
>> obscene emails to him on the newsgroups.
>>

> You're new here, aren't you?

Yes, but I will treat him just as fairly as I will you. The one thing I will
not do is go back and research anything. After all, this is Usenet, not a
scholarly seminar.

>>> Mike makes the case that a single track trail is the bane of the
>>> environment -- leaving aside for a moment that there may be other kinds
>>> of users on the route. Assuming his assertion that a single track is
>>> solely used by mountain bikers, and using the assumption that a single
>>> track is 1.5ft wide, a route that bisects a square mile and is itself a
>>> mile long, takes up less than 0.04% of the area it bisects. All of the
>>> route is not possible to be the environmental wasteland that Mike makes
>>> it out to be, but let's say that 25% of the route is what Mike asserts.
>>> This makes 0.01% of the square mile into an environmental catastrophy,
>>> hardly an issue that demands new laws and rules to prevent recreational
>>> uses. This is roughly equivelent to a letter size sheet of paper
>>> destroying the habitat the size of a tennis court. The math is, 1.5 x
>>> 5,280 = 7,920 sq ft. There are 43,560 sq ft in an acre, and 640 acres in
>>> a sq mi. The trail I described takes 18% of an acre, and this is 0.04%
>>> of a sq mi. Keep in mind that the average residential lot in California
>>> is roughly 7,500 sq ft, you see that a single track trail that is a mile
>>> long is equivelent to the land that a house sits on. When there is one
>>> house on 640 acres, that house has very little impact on the habitat or
>>> the species that live there.
>>>
>>> Perspective. That is what Mike is missing.

>> I am pretty sure it is not just about trail degradation, but the impact
>> that humans can have on wildlife by being present in an area. A lone
>> walker is not the same thing as group of mountain bikers. It appears to
>> me that you are the one lacking perspective.
>>

> A "lone" hiker? Hikers are just as likely to be in a group of 5 as a bike
> rider is. It's absurd to compare groups of one traveler and pretend that
> other travelers always travel alone. If you are going to make a comparison
> of bikers and hikers, at least use the same size population.

I have hiked every major mountain range in the West and most of those in the
East as well almost nonstop for 10 years when I was in my 30's and I always
hiked alone. Very many of the other hikers that I would meet on the trail
were also lone hikers. I will admit I never bothered much with groups of
hikers. But even the groups seem to be only composed of 2 or 3 individuals,
surely not many. Often the groups were a family.

Mountain bikers are most often composed of friends, not families, and are
out for a hoot. They often seem to be in a party mode. It is sacrilegious to
be that way when in the wilderness. Such behavior is anathema to one such as
myself.

> The Grand Canyon has trails that have absolutely NO bikes on them, the
> only traveler is on foot or on horseback -- mule back, really. Should we
> surmise that all foot travel is therefore harmfull because of the erosion
> at the Grand Canyon? The Grand Canyon is a giant example of erosion, but
> none of it comes at the sole of a shoe. The trails need to have a service
> call on them on a regular basis, that's true. But the environment is none
> the worse for the wear that comes from the foot traffic.

I am not as concerned about erosion to the trail as you imagine me to be. I
am concerned about the kind of mental attitudes that others take into the
wilderness with them. Only hikers and equestrians have the right mental
attitude for the wilderness (reverence). Mountain bikers especially have all
the wrong attitudes. They view the trail as some kind of obstacle course
which they are challenged to conquer. In other words, it is a sport to them,
not a pilgrimage of the soul.

> A bike route in the San Francisco Bay Area might need a service call from
> time to time, big deal. The environment is none the worse for the wear,
> and surely there are other way more harmful activities that are doing a
> number on the region. Sequoia Park is smog ridden from the **** that blows
> in from the bay, and the trees are suffering badly as a result. The bike
> trails in the park are an insignificant source of damage in the grand
> scheme of things. That, my friend, is perspective.

Mountain bikers need their own trails. Bikers and hikers cannot coexist on
the same trails.

>>> Vandeman claims that mountain bikers contribute to global warming. To
>>> the extent they strap their bikes to the roof of the family sedan to get
>>> them to the trail head, I suppose this is true. But, hikers also
>>> contribute in the same way to global warming because they also pile into
>>> the family sedan to drive to the trailhead. Let's not forget the mother
>>> driving to the market to get a sack of groceries. She contributes to
>>> global warming. I'm not suggesting we halt these activities, I'm
>>> suggesting that to single out bike riders for special focus is
>>> inherently flawed. (Yes, global warming is a serious problem, but
>>> banning mountain biking is not the cure, as Mike would like you to
>>> believe.)
>>>
>>> Personally, I drive a Jeep on the most rugged of routes that I can find.
>>> This demands very low speeds where noise and dust are almost never an
>>> issue for anybody. Yet, Vandeman would want you to believe that all
>>> vehicle activity is unwanted by hikers and equestrians. In my vast
>>> experience, NO hiker or equestrian has ever gotten mad at me or the
>>> group I travel with. Admittedly, my sample is small, but I know lots of
>>> off-highway vehicle operators, and except for the possible exception of
>>> desert racers, I think that most of htem have the same experience with
>>> hikers and horses that I've had. Basically, I'm suggesting that a very
>>> few hikers and horsemen have been bothered by even fewer off highway
>>> vehicle operators. Indeed, in most of my travels, the hikers and
>>> horsemen will stop and watch as the group I'm with will negotiate a
>>> particularly difficult section of trail.

>> I am not much in favor of off-road vehicles ever being off the road. This
>> is a much more serious issue than mountain bikes being off-road. You
>> truly do not know how you are impacting other outdoor users. Who is going
>> to get into a confrontation with strangers in this day and age when you
>> are likely to get murdered over nothing at all. I can assure you that
>> anyone who is not in an off-road vehicle himself DOES object to
>> encountering such use by vehicles.
>>

> Wrong. I absolutely do know how I'm impacting other outdoor users. The
> vast majority enjoy the show. I make it a point to slow to a crawl so I do
> not kick up dust, and make lots of noise. I'm always friendly to whomever
> I come across, and I carry ice and water, and frequently offer it. I stop
> completely for horses, then proceed when the rider and the horse see me,
> and I proceed in a manner to not alarm the horse. When I am negotiating a
> particularly difficult section of trail, I draw crowds of horses and
> hikers, and bikers. They always, that's A-W-A-Y-S, look and sound as
> though they like what I am doing. And, I always travel in a group of at
> least 3, and usually a group of 6 or 7.

You are no doubt a responsible off-road recreationist, but still nothing but
a recreationist. Nevertheless, the Southern California desert should be off
limits to all off-road vehicles. The whole area that is as yet not overrun
by housing should be set aside as a preserve. Ideally, the only way you
could access it would be on foot. Then you would be afforded the possibility
of a trek there that would save your soul. You might even find God there
like the prophets of the Old Testament did by wandering in the desert. One
thing is for sure, you will never find anything there by operating an
off-road vehicle.

I love the Mojave Desert (and all desert areas) and I am in despair at the
way they are being despoiled. You know not what you do, but you and your ilk
are destroying a landscape that will soon be lost to mankind forever.
Generations of men to come will have to journey to the Sahara Desert to find
the emptiness and solace which the human soul craves and can only be found
in the great deserts of the world. What you are doing is very sinful and an
affront to God. You did not create this world. HE did and you profane it by
your motorized incursions off-road.

> I have been visiting the same areas for 40 years, give or take, and the
> animals and plants are not showing any signs of distress as a result of
> recreational activities. Yes, there might be some distress, but it is from
> the air or from bugs that eat the trees, but not from the recreational
> uses that occur there.

Even so, certain types of activities are not suited for wilderness areas.
Such areas are too precious for anything but the contemplation of the
eternal verities. This is best accomplished by the humble hiker, not by any
kind of use of an off-road vehicle.

>>> My life experience is vastly different than Vandeman's. I don't go
>>> around calling on MORE off highway travel, but I do not support most
>>> calls for less. I have research (I have had, I'm not sure I still have
>>> it) that shows off highway travel is actually beneficial to a plant
>>> species that the CBD (Center for Biological Diversity) is seeking to
>>> protect. The irony is, the vehicles are better for the species than the
>>> protective measures banning the vehicles.

>> Nope, I will never believe any of the above to be true.
>>

> Well, you should. You said earlier that you don't do research, and are
> largely opinion-based. The actual research does not support the opinion
> you have formed. Vandeman has the same problem, the actual research does
> not support the opinions he has.

Nope, this discussion is about opinion and nothing else. You want to do what
you want to do and so do I. Our uses conflict with one another, and so we
marshal arguments that will defeat the other party. I am on Vandeman's side,
not yours.

>> In short, the CBD is destroying a plant species in the name of
>>> protecting it. A result of trail closures is that more and more vehicles
>>> are crammed into smaller and smaller places, then there is a
>>> self-serving report written that says the overcrowded places are
>>> destroying habitat. The fact is, most of the habitat is not destroyed
>>> until after the concentration of activity is raised in an effort to
>>> protect another place.

>> All off-road vehicle activity should be banned everywhere.
>>
>> I have been
>>> offroading for coming up on 40 years in Southern California, and I'm
>>> here to say that the vast majority of the areas that "need" protection
>>> have been doing very well these past 40 years. I argue they need no
>>> protection beyond the occasional police action because there is always
>>> an idiot in the crowd. The desert regions I visit have prospered despite
>>> being designated off road vehicle recreation areas.

>> You fail utterly to convince me. Vehicles off-road are very destructive
>> of the natural scene, especially in desert areas. All natural areas are
>> quite fragile and have only limited ability to recover from vehicles.
>> Hence, the reason for roads.
>>

> Well, 99.9% of all off highway travel is on dirt roads. These are roads
> that were built for any number of reasons, off highway travel being at the
> bottom of the list. They are left over from these other uses, typically
> mining, but we still like to use them. We can see all we want to see from
> the road, we very seldom need to venture off the established road to get
> somewhere. Think about it, if somewhere is worth getting to, the dirt road
> would already be there, and venturing off the route isn't necessary or
> practical.

I am using the term off-road to describe driving across land where there is
no road at all, dirt or otherwise. I think perhaps even you might agree with
me that this is wrong. If any kind of road already exists, then I would
leave it be unless the area in which it lies is designated wilderness. Then
any and all roads would have to go.

>>> Now, if one wants to discuss bikes and feet on the same trail, then I
>>> suppose that is a reasonable discussion. But, it is my limited
>>> experience in this arena that a little trail ettiquete would go a very
>>> long way in helping resolve most of the issues.

>> There are different mental attitudes involved in the two activities. That
>> is why they are not compatible.
>>

> ********!
>
> What makes you think that you have a different mindset than I have when we
> are out on a trail? That's patently absurd, and selfish.

You are from Slobville and I am from Eliteville, that is the difference.
After all, we do not want slobs and ignoramuses running the world.

>> I think our efforts should be focused on
>>> development, not recreation. Sure, there may be locales where recreation
>>> is a bad thing, but these locales are the exception to the rule that
>>> recreation isn't a bad thing. Recreation can be beneficial, and is
>>> usually beneficial to all but that which happens to be in the middleof
>>> the single track itself.

>> Certain areas can be developed for human recreation as they are already
>> pretty much ruined anyway. They can be restored possibly, but all really
>> natural and pristine areas need to be set aside and not developed at all.
>> Have some pity on the wild things of the earth.
>>

> I already gave you an example of a weed that is in a set-aside area for
> off road vehicles, and was subsequently closed to the vehicles. The weed
> is in decline where the vehciles are banned, and is spreading where the
> vehicles are still allowed. There are sand dunes near hear that were cut
> in half, one side closed and the other remains open (both sides were once
> open), and the plant that they want to protect is dying off in the closed
> area, but they closed the area solely to protect the plant, and the plant
> flourishes where the vehicles are still allowed. The exact opposite result
> is happening. I have lots of studies that counter pretty much every
> opinion you hold. It's a pity really that you would extrapolate your
> narrow experience on people that have been living in the real world where
> this argument has been going on for a very long time, and the plants and
> animals that should have been gone long ago -- using the
> environmentalist's cries of doom and gloom.

All of the above makes no sense whatsoever. It is nuts!

> I can cite the Big Horn Sheep habitat experience if you want; tell you how
> the give and take from the offroad community to share the land has
> resulted in a series of gates that keep the off road community out year
> around. We agreed that the sheep -- lambs actually -- were scared of the
> vehicles and would not come to the water. We agreed that the route past
> the water should be gated part of the year so the lambs would not be
> frightened -- even though the population decline could not be shown to be
> a result of offroad activity. We agreed to give up access to the route for
> part of the year. This went on for several years, then the gates remained
> locked year around. Now, the water is so overgrown that the lambs can't
> get past the brush to the water, and mountain lions lie in wait in the
> overgrown brush to attack the lambs as they drink. The brush that grows
> across the trail now block a historic route used by the Pony Express. The
> issue was that the Big Horn Sheep habitat was being encroached upon by the
> golf courses in Palm Springs, so since the habitat was shrinking, then we
> should close off a remote and historic route that is used by less than
> 1500 visitors per year. This is a strategy that makes no sense at all, and
> the few vehicles that went through kept the brush back so the lambs could
> get to the water, and the mountain lions had fewer places to hide so they
> could get at the lambs. The strategy to save the lambs turns out to not
> only deny public access to public lands, it harms the lamb population they
> were trying to save. Two bad things come from the same strategy, and
> nothing good comes from it. And, public access to public lands was never
> part of the problem faced by the Big Horn Sheep.

Man cannot manage anything at all well when it comes to the wild things of
the earth. All man can mange is his own kind. That is a full time job and we
do not do that at all well either.

>>> Mike insists that as soon as a mountain bike is pulled out of the
>>> garage, the environment goes to hell, despite mountains of evidence that
>>> this is not true in the vast majority of his cites. Mike can only make
>>> his baseless assertions because he has no perspective.

>> Mountain bikes belong on some kind of road, however rough. They do not
>> belong on footpaths anywhere.
>>
>> Jeff, you have not convinced me at all that Vandeman is being
>> unreasonable. He is just being a purist. We need these types. They force
>> us to rethink our own positions. Vandeman engenders as much response as
>> he does because he is not unreasonable. If he were, everyone would write
>> him off as crazy and ignore him. It is not possible to do that because
>> there is sense to what he says, no matter how much you might disagree
>> with him.
>>

> He is completely unreasonable. He blamed a mountain lion attack on bikers
> as being a result of the bikes! How unreasonable do you need him to be
> before you see how unreasonable he is? HE cites the actions of two kids in
> a park using bikes to jump over fallen trees as indicitive of the illegal
> actions of all bike riders everywhere. How unreasonable do you need him to
> be? Surely, you are not the same unreasonable sort as Vandeman.

People are all the time doing stupid things and being where they should not
be. So what else is new?

> Everyone DOES write him off as crazy, except, apparently, you. I accept
> the notion that we need the discussion, and the watchdog. But Vandeman is
> clearly not the person that should be talking or watching. His agenda is
> to have you visit the wilderness by going to a museum and looking at a
> display through the glass. He, and perhaps you, lives in one of the most
> congested places in California -- I could give his address and you could
> GoogleEarth his house -- so clearly his perspective is tainted. He works
> at Berkely, and lives within walking distance. He wants everybody to walk
> to work because he can. He wants everybody to sit at home on the weekend
> so he can go outside and be alone. He can't go anywhere and be alone, and
> that frustrates him. Today the bike tires, tomorrow the boot soles. Pick
> your rubber, one day it will be banned if Mike gets his way.

Well, I like to be alone too and this I can easily do here on the high
prairie of SW Minnesota. But I am not just a loner, I am a hermit. Vandeman
is most likely a regular social butterfly compared to me.

If Vandeman and you are living in congested areas, then welcome to the
future. That is the way it is going to be everywhere in the world in the not
too distant future, even here in the Upper Midwest. Thankfully, I will have
departed this vale of woe for Oblivion, a destination devoutly to be wished
for by all mankind. Maybe Iran will get some nuclear weapons and put us all
out of our misery.

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> writes:

> I am not as concerned about erosion to the trail as you imagine me to be. I
> am concerned about the kind of mental attitudes that others take into the
> wilderness with them. Only hikers and equestrians have the right mental
> attitude for the wilderness (reverence). Mountain bikers especially have all
> the wrong attitudes. They view the trail as some kind of obstacle course
> which they are challenged to conquer. In other words, it is a sport to them,
> not a pilgrimage of the soul.

Well said : but define a "mountain biker"? If its some goateed **** who
says "kewl" a lot then I would agree. If it were someone with a
mountainbike who is using a mountainbike for the rougher terrain on a
long distance tour then I would disagree. Touring cyclists fit into your
"pilgrimage" group too you know.