Real RBR Members:

Tom Kunich

Guest
What cycling related stuff did you get for Christmas? Did you get in any
riding?

On Dec 29, 7:51 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> What cycling related stuff did you get for Christmas? Did you get in any
> riding?

Unfortunately none of either, though I'm still going to try and talk
my way into doing the New Years day ride. Not being totally stupid,
when I started talking about taking the new cross bike out the other
day in the snow and ice, the wife made it clear that if I didn't kill
myself on the ride, she'd kill me when I got home, so I'm still
negotiating. Got all the cross/cold weather stuff earlier in the year
so the kids could race, and I found mine so I could ride. At least
they got to race.
Hope everyone else has gotten out some. Still see a few people riding
here, but most of those are commuting. Short break for everyone after
Nats. I'm betting we get 30-50 people for New Years though.
Bill C

...lets see Christmas Day, ah yes. Slow roasted prime rib, three cheese
potatoes, garden fresh green beans, pumpkin pie, and about a bucket of
that chex mix stuff, plus all the decadent goodies, has resulted in 30
extra minutes on the stationary every day this week...so in a
round-about way, YES & YES!

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

Bill C wrote:
> On Dec 29, 7:51 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>> What cycling related stuff did you get for Christmas? Did you get in any
>> riding?

> Unfortunately none of either, though I'm still going to try and talk
> my way into doing the New Years day ride. Not being totally stupid,
> when I started talking about taking the new cross bike out the other
> day in the snow and ice, the wife made it clear that if I didn't kill
> myself on the ride, she'd kill me when I got home, so I'm still
> negotiating.

If you've got the frame clearance, the Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106
(700x35mm) work great on ice or packed snow (scroll down on
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp). They do drag, but
that's to be expected. Then the only danger is cars sliding into /you/,
of which the chance is (sadly) not zero.

(Happy customer here; I use them to commute on those black-ice mornings.)

For the OP, I got a warm cycling jacket that works well in cold drizzle
(the more typical winter condition in western Oregon).

Mark J.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:

> What cycling related stuff did you get for Christmas? Did you get in any
> riding?

Not much riding of late, aside from my presently-short commutes.

For Christmas, I received a $75 cheque to be spent at the Sports Junkies
Boxing Day sale.

Thanks to finding a pair of high-end incandescent light sets ($15 and
$35 respectively), and a mismatched, mispriced road wheelset under the
table (Shimano R550 front, Alex A-Class rear, both for $40), I had a
very merry Christmas.

The Bill Werbeniuk memorial Cyclocross ride will leave from Calhoun's at
11am New Year's Day. Don't wear your club's kit, BYOB.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

On Dec 29, 4:51 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> What cycling related stuff did you get for Christmas? Did you get in any
> riding?

Dumbass -

Only Freds get/want cycling stuff for Christmas.

Happy Holidays!

K. Gringioni.

In article <[email protected]>, cyclintom@yahoo.
says...
> What cycling related stuff did you get for Christmas? Did you get in any
> riding?

Couple really cool cycling calendars.

Not much riding. Had a bit of a virus for a couple weeks. Throat,
head, sinus, etc.

*NO* energy at all.

How 'bout you?

-Bob

"Bob Helland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, cyclintom@yahoo.
> says...
>> What cycling related stuff did you get for Christmas? Did you get in any
>> riding?

> Couple really cool cycling calendars.

Yeah, that's what I got as well. But then it would be pretty hard for anyone
to get me anything I don't already have.

It was drizzling on Saturday so I pulled out the touring bike since it has
fenders. I think I'm going to have to find an old steel frame and build a
REAL(tm) winter bike - one with cyclocross knobbies, fenders, long wheelbase
etc.

Tomorrow is my last day of work at this job so I'll be able to ride mornings
while looking for work afternoons.

Tom Kunich wrote:
> What cycling related stuff did you get for Christmas? Did you get in any
> riding?

I asked for no bicycle stuff, because I've already got tons. I asked for
pictures, prints, art to put on the walls. I knew it would please my
wife to shop for such things. One of the things she bought looks like:

http://www.gingerbreadshows.com/greaterartgallery/gag3.jpg

On Dec 30, 10:54 am, Fred Fredburger
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Tom Kunich wrote:
> > What cycling related stuff did you get for Christmas? Did you get in any
> > riding?

> I asked for no bicycle stuff, because I've already got tons. I asked for
>   pictures, prints, art to put on the walls. I knew it would please my
> wife to shop for such things. One of the things she bought looks like:
>
> http://www.gingerbreadshows.com/greaterartgallery/gag3.jpg

That's cool. On the same note I got the wife a really cool bike
sculpture. It's a lot like the "bicycle planters", but it's not one.
It looks like a 1930s utility bike complete with wicker basket on the
front, actual rubber tires, leather seat, all out if antiqued iron.
It's about 12" high and 18" long. Pretty cool, but I'm a fred for cool
handbuilt stuff.
Bill C

On Dec 29, 10:32 pm, [email protected] (Michael Baldwin) wrote:
> ..lets see Christmas Day, ah yes.  Slow roasted prime rib, three cheese
> potatoes, garden fresh green beans, pumpkin pie, and about a bucket of
> that chex mix stuff, plus all the decadent goodies, has resulted in 30
> extra minutes on the stationary every day this week...so in a
> round-about way, YES & YES!
>
> Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

no wine with that?

Andre

On Dec 30, 1:51 am, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> What cycling related stuff did you get for Christmas? Did you get in any
> riding?

4 flats and a long cold walk home.

Joseph

"Fred Fredburger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tom Kunich wrote:
>> What cycling related stuff did you get for Christmas? Did you get in any
>> riding?

> I asked for no bicycle stuff, because I've already got tons. I asked for
> pictures, prints, art to put on the walls. I knew it would please my wife
> to shop for such things. One of the things she bought looks like:
>
> http://www.gingerbreadshows.com/greaterartgallery/gag3.jpg

I'm pretty touchy about stuff that I hang on my walls. I actually have taste
in art where most others think that you put pictures on the wall to cover
cracks or to make the wall look more balanced. I remember being in an art
store one time when a woman came in and asked for something "large and
green".

Most of the stuff hanging on my walls would sell as REAL(tm) art instead of
Dali prints.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
On Dec 30, 1:51 am, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> > What cycling related stuff did you get for Christmas? Did you get in any
> > riding?

> 4 flats and a long cold walk home.

Jeez, sorry about that Joseph. For some reason I haven't had many flats this
year. Well, at least riding. Half my bikes out hanging in the garage have at
least one flat tire from who knows what.

On Dec 30, 11:27 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> "Fred Fredburger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Tom Kunich wrote:
> >> What cycling related stuff did you get for Christmas? Did you get in any
> >> riding?

> > I asked for no bicycle stuff, because I've already got tons. I asked for
> > pictures, prints, art to put on the walls. I knew it would please my wife
> > to shop for such things. One of the things she bought looks like:

> >http://www.gingerbreadshows.com/greaterartgallery/gag3.jpg

> I'm pretty touchy about stuff that I hang on my walls. I actually have taste
> in art where most others think that you put pictures on the wall to cover
> cracks or to make the wall look more balanced. I remember being in an art
> store one time when a woman came in and asked for something "large and
> green".
>
> Most of the stuff hanging on my walls would sell as REAL(tm) art instead of
> Dali prints.

What's an art store? A place to buy dogs playing poker, or velvet
Elvises?

Joseph

On Dec 30, 1:28 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>  "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>
> > What cycling related stuff did you get for Christmas? Did you get in any
> > riding?

> Not much riding of late, aside from my presently-short commutes.

Not much riding here either with snow on the road for the past week.
I've spent the holiday weekend hacking my Apple TV. It's now running
an Apache web server that hosts a web page that emulates the ATV
remote. I can now change the playlist from any room in the house as
long as I have a hand held computer that costs more than the ATV
handy. This is a mostly useless but very rewarding project, my
Chrismas present to myself. The best actual present I got was a nice
stainless steel salad spinner which does a great job seperating the
chaff from freshly roasted coffee. I don't need any bike stuff.

Bret

On Dec 30, 11:29 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
> On Dec 30, 1:51 am, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>
> > > What cycling related stuff did you get for Christmas? Did you get in any
> > > riding?

> > 4 flats and a long cold walk home.

> Jeez, sorry about that Joseph. For some reason I haven't had many flats this
> year. Well, at least riding. Half my bikes out hanging in the garage have at
> least one flat tire from who knows what.

The second one was pretty hairy. The air went out of the front tire
quite rapidly while on a steeply crowned down-hill road that was quite
icy with a car approaching from behind. I wanted to clip out one foot,
but I was afraid it would upset my precarious balance, so I took it
into the gravel and frozen grass on the side where I could brake to a
stop.

I made up for my bad flat luck in spades with all the bike gear I
scored for X-mas though, so no complaints from me!

Joseph

> What's an art store? A place to buy dogs playing poker, or velvet
> Elvises?

It's a place that would NEVER be called an Art Gallery.

On Dec 30, 11:37 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > What's an art store? A place to buy dogs playing poker, or velvet
> > Elvises?

> It's a place that would NEVER be called an Art Gallery.

When I was a kid folks got jobs either as bike messengers, or at art
galleries in SoHo doing "installations". We had many a laugh. Girls,
or guys with the proper haircut got jobs as salespeople, so they had
to play the game full out, but we just got to come in and make fun of
everyone, teasing them for thinking they weren't any stupider than we
were.

Joseph

Tom Kunich wrote:

<snip>

> Most of the stuff hanging on my walls would sell as REAL(tm) art
> instead of Dali prints.

I vaguely recall you saying a while back that you had painted Sunflowers,
the Mona Lisa, Sistine Chapel, and some other ****, so that you appreciate
fine art comes as no great surprise. At least to me.

My favorite print is a poster I picked up at the museum outside Pax River
NAS. It has a black and white silouette of an aircraft carrier and the
caption in big block letters reads "90,000 tons of diplomacy." Maybe
that's too Dali-esque for you though.

--
Bill Asher