Real RBR Members:

http://westwindworld.com/store/images/large/products/homeland_banner_LRG.jpg

> Tom Kunich wrote:
>
> > Most of the stuff hanging on my walls would sell as REAL(tm) art
> > instead of Dali prints.

> I vaguely recall you saying a while back that you had painted Sunflowers,
> the Mona Lisa, Sistine Chapel, and some other ****, so that you appreciate
> fine art comes as no great surprise. At least to me.

Can't be so for Sunflowers.
http://www.kenpapai.com/cycling/rbr/Tomk.JPG
I see two ears.

Ben

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> [email protected] wrote:
>> > What's an art store? A place to buy dogs playing poker, or velvet
>> > Elvises?

>> Its a place where you can buy a Pinarello.

> Dumbass: that's an Opera house.

I thought you could just download it.

--
Bill Asher

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> Dumbass: that's an Opera house.

Pirandello perhaps. There are plenty of characters in search
of an author in rbr.

In article <[email protected]>, cyclintom@yahoo.
says...
> "Bob Helland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, cyclintom@yahoo.
> > says...
> >> What cycling related stuff did you get for Christmas? Did you get in any
> >> riding?

> > Couple really cool cycling calendars.

> Yeah, that's what I got as well. But then it would be pretty hard for anyone
> to get me anything I don't already have.
>
> It was drizzling on Saturday so I pulled out the touring bike since it has
> fenders. I think I'm going to have to find an old steel frame and build a
> REAL(tm) winter bike - one with cyclocross knobbies, fenders, long wheelbase
> etc.
>
> Tomorrow is my last day of work at this job so I'll be able to ride mornings
> while looking for work afternoons.

Good luck with that! Hope you find something within a good bike
commute.

Happy New Year!

-Bob

On 12/29/2007 05:51 PM, in article [email protected], "Tom
Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:

> What cycling related stuff did you get for Christmas? Did you get in any
> riding?

Nikon D80
K2 Comanche 5com skis

How are these bike-related? Well, the camera can be used to take wonderful
photos of bikes (and cyclists), and the skis will help keep me in shape
through the winter ... 24" of fresh pow-pow in Big Cottonwood yesterday!

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

On Dec 29, 7:51 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> What cycling related stuff did you get for Christmas? Did you get in any
> riding?

Couple rides up in Connecticut with my dad who is still racking up the
miles at 68 years of age.

Mark

In article <[email protected]>,
William Asher <[email protected]> wrote:

> William Asher <[email protected]> wrote in news:Xns9A1712F644BD5FkldeltaC@
> 130.133.1.4:
>

> > http://tinyurl.com/yuxwpe

> hi-res version:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/gzual

But is it art?

My theory is that collectively, the USN's carrier fleets comprise the
single grandest sculpture project ever conceived.

I'd have to figure out if they actually outweigh the pyramids, but given
that they could destroy the pyramids, I say the points go to the USN.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

On Dec 30, 3:30 pm, Bret <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 30, 1:28 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> >  "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:

> > > What cycling related stuff did you get for Christmas? Did you get in any
> > > riding?

> > Not much riding of late, aside from my presently-short commutes.

> Not much riding here either with snow on the road for the past week.
> I've spent the holiday weekend hacking my Apple TV. It's now running
> an Apache web server that hosts a web page that emulates the ATV
> remote. I can now change the playlist from any room in the house as
> long as I have a hand held computer that costs more than the ATV
> handy. This is a mostly useless but very rewarding project, my
> Chrismas present to myself. The best actual present I got was a nice
> stainless steel salad spinner which does a great job seperating the
> chaff from freshly roasted coffee. I don't need any bike stuff.
>
> Bret

Snow, what snow???

I put some relatively low profile tires on my 'cross bike (just enough
tread not to kill myself in the slush/snow/ice, and not so much as to
make the clean pavement sections unbearable), bundled up, and have
been riding my 'cross bike for the last couple of weeks. The slower
speeds keep the wind chill to a manageable level and the rolling
resistance inherent in the 'cross knobbies is keeping the workout
worth doing.

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> William Asher <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> William Asher <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:Xns9A1712F644BD5FkldeltaC@ 130.133.1.4:
>>

>> > http://tinyurl.com/yuxwpe

>> hi-res version:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/gzual

> But is it art?
>
> My theory is that collectively, the USN's carrier fleets comprise the
> single grandest sculpture project ever conceived.
>
> I'd have to figure out if they actually outweigh the pyramids, but
> given that they could destroy the pyramids, I say the points go to the
> USN.

If you ever get among a group of naval officers and don't see a lot of
dolphins on the collars, do *not* say anything negative about those big
gray boats with funny-looking flat tops. It turns out that in
general (no pun intended) the officers without dolphins on their collars
like those big gray funny-looking boats. A lot.

--
Bill Asher

Donald Munro wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>>> Can't be so for Sunflowers.
>>> http://www.kenpapai.com/cycling/rbr/Tomk.JPG I see two ears.

> William Asher wrote:
>> That's the "before" picture.

> The "after" used to be at:
> <http://www.monkeyhillcs.com/humour/ronde_champ/>
> but it disappeared, just like "The Scream".

sic transit gloria mundi

--
Bill Asher

In article <[email protected]>,
William Asher <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > William Asher <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> William Asher <[email protected]> wrote in
> >> news:Xns9A1712F644BD5FkldeltaC@ 130.133.1.4:

> >> hi-res version:
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/gzual

> > But is it art?
> >
> > My theory is that collectively, the USN's carrier fleets comprise the
> > single grandest sculpture project ever conceived.
> >
> > I'd have to figure out if they actually outweigh the pyramids, but
> > given that they could destroy the pyramids, I say the points go to the
> > USN.
> >

> If you ever get among a group of naval officers and don't see a lot of
> dolphins on the collars, do *not* say anything negative about those big
> gray boats with funny-looking flat tops. It turns out that in
> general (no pun intended) the officers without dolphins on their collars
> like those big gray funny-looking boats. A lot.

Hey, I am an enthusiastic appreciator of art! Your note made me go and
look up some stuff on battleships, and while I knew carrier groups had
long since become the preeminent instrument of naval warfare, I didn't
realize that there hasn't been a battleship in commission since the
1990s, in any navy.

Of course, my real attraction to carriers is because they have such
interesting airplanes. I'm not sure how the dolphinless officers feel
about that part of the business.

On Dec 31, 10:35 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> William Asher <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > William Asher <[email protected]> wrote in news:Xns9A1712F644BD5FkldeltaC@
> > 130.133.1.4:

> > >http://tinyurl.com/yuxwpe

> > hi-res version:

> >http://tinyurl.com/gzual

> But is it art?
>
> My theory is that collectively, the USN's carrier fleets comprise the
> single grandest sculpture project ever conceived.
>
> I'd have to figure out if they actually outweigh the pyramids, but given
> that they could destroy the pyramids, I say the points go to the USN.

Well, if you think the narrative of art history
through the ages should be conducted as an episode
of BattleBots (and there are some good arguments
for this), then I think you have a winner.

Otherwise, it makes sense to argue that an aircraft
carrier is not art, but a photograph of an aircraft
carrier is art. (Or at least it is depending on your
taste.) One could make the same argument about
Half Dome versus a photograph of Half Dome, or a sunset,
or Lange's "Migrant Mother."

There's also a school of thought that if you see it in a
museum or buy it at an "art store" (in the manner of TK),
it's art. Whether an aircraft carrier is art then depends
on whether you think Northrop Grumman is also an art gallery.

Ben
RBR Chief Aesthetics Officer

In article
<1926c3a0-a90e-4e7a-a6e1-6c46e7d9e7d0@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,

> On Dec 31, 10:35 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > William Asher <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > William Asher <[email protected]> wrote in news:Xns9A1712F644BD5FkldeltaC@
> > > 130.133.1.4:

> > > hi-res version:

> > >http://tinyurl.com/gzual

> > But is it art?
> >
> > My theory is that collectively, the USN's carrier fleets comprise the
> > single grandest sculpture project ever conceived.
> >
> > I'd have to figure out if they actually outweigh the pyramids, but given
> > that they could destroy the pyramids, I say the points go to the USN.

> Well, if you think the narrative of art history
> through the ages should be conducted as an episode
> of BattleBots (and there are some good arguments
> for this), then I think you have a winner.
>
> Otherwise, it makes sense to argue that an aircraft
> carrier is not art, but a photograph of an aircraft
> carrier is art. (Or at least it is depending on your
> taste.) One could make the same argument about
> Half Dome versus a photograph of Half Dome, or a sunset,
> or Lange's "Migrant Mother."

> There's also a school of thought that if you see it in a
> museum or buy it at an "art store" (in the manner of TK),
> it's art. Whether an aircraft carrier is art then depends
> on whether you think Northrop Grumman is also an art gallery.

I'm aware of the line of thought that art is essentially useless crafts,
but I feel that limits art too much. Also, I daresay there a few French
philosophers who might argue that carriers are clearly art, since they
are only good for fighting wars which did not take place:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_art_and_craft
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Baudrillard#On_the_Gulf_War

I am clearly, by my arguments, in the Paul Virilio war-as-art school of
thought:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Virilio#The_war_model

Which leads me to believe that it matters not where I bought my aircraft
carrier, or how I admired it. I have not seen the Mona Lisa in person,
and yet I believe it to be art.

Now great bicycles are not art because they aspire to something more
noble: craft. And I would rather have a well-crafted object at hand than
an artful object, because I feel utility imbues it with the sort of
potency art-fans ridiculously claim for their preferred objects (don't
get me started on "Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction") and
because I am an unfeeling robot monster.

"Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> I put some relatively low profile tires on my 'cross bike (just enough
> tread not to kill myself in the slush/snow/ice, and not so much as to
> make the clean pavement sections unbearable), bundled up, and have
> been riding my 'cross bike for the last couple of weeks. The slower
> speeds keep the wind chill to a manageable level and the rolling
> resistance inherent in the 'cross knobbies is keeping the workout
> worth doing.

What tires did you use. I'm putting together a winter bike and want
something just short of knobbies that will still stop in slippery stuff.