REAL slow on the run -advice?

Rd

Guest
I've been training for a half IM and have found the run to be extremely difficult after a long bike.
I came from a running background but didnt expect to be SO slow after the bike. I find my heart rate
really increases if I try to push the pace at all.

Any tips on managing the bike to run transition so that I don't suffer for the final portion
of my race?

Originally posted by Rd
I've been training for a half IM and have found the run to be extremely difficult after a long bike.
I came from a running background but didnt expect to be SO slow after the bike. I find my heart rate
really increases if I try to push the pace at all.

Any tips on managing the bike to run transition so that I don't suffer for the final portion
of my race?

Your increase in HR can be a result of dehydration.
Ironman is a real challange and running of the bike after such a long ride is a real art.
Comes back to training.
The only way to find your way through the possibilities is to have a coach that can help you.
I recommend Brendon Downey can be found on www.endurancecoach.com
He is a real master at training people here in NZ and has had so much positive results especially with ironman atheletes.

Go well

"rd" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've been training for a half IM and have found the run to be extremely difficult after a long
>bike. I came from a running background but didnt expect to be SO slow after the bike. I find my
>heart rate really increases if I try to push the pace at all.
>
>Any tips on managing the bike to run transition so that I don't suffer for the final portion
>of my race?

Who says you aren't supposed to suffer? <g>

Generally speaking, the bike sets up the run. If you hammer the bike too hard for your level of
fitness, it can effect your running significantly. It sounds like you haven't found the right bike
pace yet that allows you to run well coming out of T2.

Possible solution? Improve your biking and/or back off a notch on the bike leg.

Hydration and fueling are critical, of course, and you need to make sure you've got a
handle on those.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 09:07:41 -0400, Mike Tennent <[email protected]> wrote:

>"rd" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I've been training for a half IM and have found the run to be extremely difficult after a long
>>bike. I came from a running background but didnt expect to be SO slow after the bike. I find my
>>heart rate really increases if I try to push the pace at all.
>>
>>Any tips on managing the bike to run transition so that I don't suffer for the final portion of
>>my race?
>>

>Who says you aren't supposed to suffer? <g>
>
>Generally speaking, the bike sets up the run. If you hammer the bike too hard for your level of
>fitness, it can effect your running significantly. It sounds like you haven't found the right bike
>pace yet that allows you to run well coming out of T2.
>
>Possible solution? Improve your biking and/or back off a notch on the bike leg.
>
>Hydration and fueling are critical, of course, and you need to make sure you've got a handle
>on those.
>
>Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

I agree with Mike. Another thing is to incorporate a few more Brick workouts into your
training, particulary the final months/weeks before the race.

~Matt

1. You need to train for this. Do some progressive brick training. After a long or hard bike ride
run a short distance. Next time run a bit farther, etc. This training is really helpful. I assume
it is as much physical as it is mental.

2. You can invest in a steep seat angle bike. This will save your quads (a bit) for the run.

3. Even though you come from a running background, better running fitness will help too. Spints
and hills.

More pain in training simply means you can handle more pain in the race, not the
elimination of pain.

BW

news:<[email protected]>...