Real tough east cost road races

Mark Farnsworth

Guest
I am looking for some tough road racing in the south east?

Does anyone with experiance know of some good events to try?

I want to find long hilly road races where the pack gets blown apart and torn down through
attrition.

...Mark

On 11 Feb 2003 00:06:51 -0800, TomD wrote:
>"Mark Farnsworth" wrote:
>> I want to find long hilly road races where the pack gets blown apart and torn down through
>> attrition.
>
>Assault on Mt. Mitchell: http://freewheelers.info/assault.html

That's not a long hilly road race. That's a mass-start climbing TT.

"Mark Farnsworth" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am looking for some tough road racing in the south east?
>
> Does anyone with experiance know of some good events to try?
>
> I want to find long hilly road races where the pack gets blown apart and torn down through
> attrition.
>
> ...Mark

Check out www.tbra.org for some good racing in Tennessee. Roan Groan, Raccoon Mtn Road Race, Avery
Trace are a few with some good hills.

Yup - plenty of tough, hilly races here in east Tennessee. The Raccoon Mountain race here in
Chattanooga looks good this year, sandwiched between two regional NRC races, the Tour LeFleur crit
in MS and the Tour de Georgia a week or so after. Could be a tough field this year; we've had over
400 racers in past years. The River Gorge race in May will be on a lengthened course this year, with
two mountains to climb rather than just the summit finish of last year. The Highland Rim stage race
is always hard, and while Roan Groan's short and sweet, it does have an eight-mile long climb to a
5,000 foot summit finish. Especially fun when it's rainy and windy! ;-)

SB

"Pedro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Mark Farnsworth"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I am looking for some tough road racing in the south east?
> >
> > Does anyone with experiance know of some good events to try?
> >
> > I want to find long hilly road races where the pack gets blown apart and torn down through
> > attrition.
> >
> > ...Mark
>
> Check out www.tbra.org for some good racing in Tennessee. Roan Groan, Raccoon Mtn Road Race, Avery
> Trace are a few with some good hills.

> Check out www.tbra.org for some good racing in Tennessee. Roan Groan, Raccoon Mtn Road Race, Avery
> Trace are a few with some good hills.

Thanks!

The Roan Groan looks great!

The Raccoon Mountain Road Race is definetly on my list. The Avery Trace race will be nice because
it's part of a three stage event.

...Mark

Thanks!

The Assault on Mt Mitchell is a great ride. I did the event last year on my inline skates.

[email protected] (TomD) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Mark Farnsworth" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:<[email protected]>...
> > I am looking for some tough road racing in the south east?
> >
> > Does anyone with experiance know of some good events to try?
> >
> > I want to find long hilly road races where the pack gets blown apart and torn down through
> > attrition.
> >
> Assault on Mt. Mitchell: http://freewheelers.info/assault.html

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Assault on Mt. Mitchell, is not, I repeat, not a race.
Not to say that a lot of super competitive people (George Hincapie, Chris Harkey, and a lot of other
pro riders) don't come out for it, but it is not a USCF sanctioned event. It's hard as nails, but
it's a ride that any Fred and their mother's can sign up for and ride. Along the same lines as this
is the Hilly Hellatious 100 and Bridge to Bridge century rides. Once again, neither are races, but
they are hard, and people do "race" them same as the Assault on Mt. Mitchell.

For REAL races, here are some choices:

1.) Highland Rim Classic in McMinville TN. Long, steep climbs, and a hill climb/time trial in the
afternoon after the road race. www.warrentn.com/hrcc

2.) Dividing Waters Road Race. Held in Greenville, SC. Once again, long steep climbs, and usually
held in September. Greenville Spinners bike club puts it on. www.greenvillespinners.org

3.) Any road race in or around Knoxville TN is good as well. There is a Dogwood Arts weekend coming
in April I believe which includes a RR, TT, and crit. I think a good link from there is:
www.tbra.org or www.bikezoo.com

4.) French Broad Classic in Asheville NC. Lots of climbing and attrition there. Usually held in
August. In combination with a TT and crit over the weekend. www.abrc.net (Asheville Bicycle
Racing Club).

5.) 2 Hours From Anywhere in Murphy NC. It's in the far Western part of the state with switchbacked
climbs and a monster wall near the end of the 12 mile loop. www.latemodel.com/2hours/

6.) Patriot's Trail RR in Rock Hill, SC. www.rockhillbicycleclub.com

7.) Racoon Mountain Road Race in Chatanooga TN www.chattanooga.net/cycleclub/raccoon.htm

8.) Roan Groan Road Race in Elizabethtown TN: www.roangroan.homestead.com/

9.) Avery Trace Road Race & Time Trial in Gainesboro, TN:
www.chattanooga.net/cycleclub/averytrace.htm

10.) Beech Mountain Hill Climb in Banner Elk, NC: www.boonecrit.8m.com

And that's about all that I have. All of the above are considered hard road races with lots of
climbing. Have fun.

Tom

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:49:33 -0800, "Mark Farnsworth" wrote:

>I am looking for some tough road racing in the south east?
>
>Does anyone with experiance know of some good events to try?

While not a USCF sanctioned event, you could always take a little trip to Athens, Georgia and do the
Winter Bike League :) 2 events are left in the WBL season.

Feb 15th THE ATLANTIS HYDROPONICS TOCCOA WORLD CUP (6 Hours)

Feb 22th THE DIXONS BIKE SHOP GREENSBORO WORLD CUP (6 Hours)

To fit your requirements:

Long: The last two events will probably be in the range of 100-120miles.

Hilly: Depends on what you mean, but Athens is rolling hills.

Pack gets blown apart & torn down through attrition: You can bet on
it.

Of course, being a good bandit league, they not only have neutral support, prizes to the winner for
each event & overall, but a website too: http://www.winterbikeleague.com

(If you want a USCF racing schedule, you might want to look at the tennessee schedule like someone
else suggested. Outside of Tennessee, there is a race schedule floating around that one of the state
coordinators should have.)

seeya, -k

Thanks, Great list!

I am going to try to do most of these races. The Greenville spring series includes a 66 mile
Dividing Waters course on March 8th so I will get a chance to be hammered soon. It's strange, I am
not really a great climber but I really like it because it is so simple and direct. When you see a
guy tear up a mountain while you are sucking wind it inspires awe.

...Mark

Enter the mount washington mountain climb, 7.6 miles average 12% grade. www.tinmtn.org

"Mark Farnsworth" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> I am looking for some tough road racing in the south east?
>
> Does anyone with experiance know of some good events to try?
>
> I want to find long hilly road races where the pack gets blown apart and torn down through
> attrition.
>
> ...Mark

"Steve Blankenship" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yup - plenty of tough, hilly races here in east Tennessee. The Raccoon Mountain race here in
> Chattanooga looks good this year, sandwiched between two regional NRC races, the Tour LeFleur crit
> in MS and the Tour de
Georgia
> a week or so after. Could be a tough field this year; we've had over 400 racers in past years. The
> River Gorge race in May will be on a lengthened course this year, with two mountains to climb
> rather than just the summit finish of last year. The Highland Rim stage race is always hard, and
while
> Roan Groan's short and sweet, it does have an eight-mile long climb to a 5,000 foot summit finish.
> Especially fun when it's rainy and windy! ;-)
>
> SB

I would have to assume "East Coast" Road Race and "Southeast" Road Race are two completely
different things. I'm not saying not tough enough but I don't know anyone that considers Tennessee
"East Coast". By the way, Steve Blankenship + Chattanooga...is that the Steve Blankenship that went
to McCallie?

Danny Callen

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Enter the mount washington mountain climb, 7.6 miles average 12%
grade.
> www.tinmtn.org

That's not in the southeast, and it's only borderline a road race.

JT

NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

"Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Steve Blankenship" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Yup - plenty of tough, hilly races here in east Tennessee. The Raccoon Mountain race here in
> > Chattanooga looks good this year, sandwiched
between
> > two regional NRC races, the Tour LeFleur crit in MS and the Tour de
> Georgia
> > a week or so after. Could be a tough field this year; we've had over
400
> > racers in past years. The River Gorge race in May will be on a
lengthened
> > course this year, with two mountains to climb rather than just the
summit
> > finish of last year. The Highland Rim stage race is always hard, and
> while
> > Roan Groan's short and sweet, it does have an eight-mile long climb to a 5,000 foot summit
> > finish. Especially fun when it's rainy and windy! ;-)
> >
> > SB
> >

> I would have to assume "East Coast" Road Race and "Southeast" Road Race
are
> two completely different things. I'm not saying not tough enough but I
don't
> know anyone that considers Tennessee "East Coast". By the way, Steve Blankenship +
> Chattanooga...is that the Steve Blankenship that went to McCallie?
>
> Danny Callen

I do remember my geography, so yes, it remains a bit of a hike to the east coast from here. But the
original poster, in his "tough east coast races" thread, actually asked for races in the southeast.
And I'm pretty sure Chattanooga qualifies on that one. ;-)

As to McCallie; no. T'weren't me. But I think I am kin to the General Blankenship on TV who used to
give Wonder Woman orders. At least I like to uh, think so...

SB