Realistic Goals?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by RideOfHisLife, Aug 13, 2012.

1. RideOfHisLife

RideOfHisLife New Member

These are my aims and training scheduele for cycling: Plan for future in cycling: Ladybower 1-2 per month Training routine: 20 pressups 30 seconds planking 2 minute wall sit 50 sittups. 3 mile or more cycle 1 mile run. General/Targets: Track and update progress on cycle forums. Raise money for the 31st august donington ride. Look at other rides, clubs, races. Aim for 2 rides a month non club, 4-6 rides a month with club. Be on a club team 2013 or 2014, be able to ride castleton and back (42 miles) by august 2013. To ladybower, round and back by august 2014. Have clocked 100km by december 2012. Have clocked 300km by december 2013. Have a road bike by 25th august 2013. Fingers crossed. Everything is riding (no pun intended) on that road bike. Try and get a training partner in a club, in school or just on road. (start chatting while riding). Cycle clothes by august 30th 2012. Win first race by end of 2014 season. Win first league/tour by 2016=me being 18 :-O

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

What is a "ladybower?"

3. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

Am I missing something here? Cycling goals with other types of training and very little cycling listed in the schedule?

Just asking to get a better understanding.

4. RideOfHisLife

RideOfHisLife New Member

Alienator: ladybower is a huge lake in Derbyshire. Felt_Rider: I do the press ups in a morning etc. then go out on at least a three mile ride and a 1 mile run. By 4-6 rides a month, I mean 30 mile group ride for a local club.

5. alienator

At your current cycling level, I think your best bet would be to just cycle a lot more.

6. RideOfHisLife

RideOfHisLife New Member

Right ok, just a thought, I did the 10 mile ride in 40 minutes but didn't tire at all. Is that anything to consider. What speed do you average etc

7. alienator

Average speed isn't the best comparison for many things, especially since average speed depends on the type of route, weather conditions, where a rider is in their training schedule (if they have such a thing), and how the rider feels on a given day. Right now, you likely need to put some miles on your legs. I'd recommend worrying less about speed and more about keeping the rides fun and riding according to how you feel. If you get wound up before a ride listening to 1000 Homo DJs' version of Supernaut, then by all means if your mood so dictates go out and bury yourself on your bike. If you feel in the mood for an easy cruise, then do that. Going out and just riding, putting miles under your tires, will allow you to establish a base from which you'll be able to train better.

8. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

If you didn't get tired you need to push harder. Your body will do more than your brain wants it to do. You don't need to kill yourself just step it up about 10 percent.

9. RideOfHisLife

RideOfHisLife New Member

Cheers fellas, will post about how it goes.

10. Dave Cutter

Dave Cutter Active Member

Keep it simple! Just ride.... ride lots. Whether you ride from breakfast till lunch, or from dinner till dark, or dusk till dawn.... just enjoy your time on the bicycle. Be safe.... and have fun!

Competitive training (racing) is different... of course. In which case follow your coaches advice. But for cycling for the sake of the sport, as a hobby, or for fitness... remember to just enjoy yourself. Enjoy your cycling as much and as often as you can. If you can only squeeze in an hour after dinner... ride an hour after dinner. If it's a sunny early morning and you have nothing planned before work... maybe a short ride before you shower might fit in the time you have available. If Saturday is your best chance to spent the entire day in the saddle.... find someone else to do the yard work... and ride all day Saturday.

Your routines will find themselves... and you will become proficient in your cycling as well. Then you can add to the interest of cycling by working on skill levels, speed, endurance, and such.

11. PolarFanatic

PolarFanatic New Member

I'll have to agree with Dave Cutter here! Just ride everytime you get the chance!

Even if you can just to 10-15 miles per day, get as much riding in your training as possible!

Cheers!