Reality Check

sgnden

Nov 21, 2004
OK - So...while living in the past (20 years ago margianlly serious rider)...I envisioned that I would get a great bike and decent gear...jump on and off I'd go with barely a worry. Instead...keel over...

Yes - I bought a very good bike (Trek 5000) after riding a BUNCH...but I jumped-on...FLEW (downill) around for 30 minutes...turned to ride back home (including a hellacious hill) and almost passed-out! Sheesh - I am soooooo stinin out of shape - reality...fat sucks.

Now, I put the bike in my car...DRIVE to a FLAT area and ride in circles until I can get some muscle and endurance re-built...incredible how hard I am finding this!

I am wishing I had spent my $2000 (+ $600 on other stuff) on my gym!! (not)

Any advice on what length/style of riding to do so I can build-up quickly (besides the obvious - time - time - time in the saddle)?

Yes - Just ride..but I am feeling frustrated.

SG

My only advice is to take it easy for the first 30-45 minutes of the ride and give yourself a good warm-up. Don't just hop on the bike and attack immediately.

You have the answer, and the results will follow pretty quickly.

A few points from my own experience.

Ride in a variety of places and enjoy the scenery. I would suggest rail trails as a good alternative to loops while you are getting into shape.

Don't fear hills, but don't assume that you must defeat them immediately. Slow and steady wins the race. Ride up them as far as you can, and you will start to see improvement. Initially start at the bottom so that your reward for going further is a longer ride back.

You might get some ideas for building endurance and strength depending on what your goals are by searching in the Training forum. There are plenty of helpful people here to give you that nudge when you need it.

Also, pick an organized ride next year for a goal. Depending on your current condition, I would suggest a metric century in mid-season next year. I rode one last October on a comfort bike, and I weighed 300 pounds, so unless you are extremely large, it is a very reasonable but challenging goal. If you are near "normal weight", perhaps an imperial century next year is within reach, which is my goal for next season (although I haven't selected a specific ride yet).

I have heard that it is a good idea to find a cycling club with a novice group or hook up with even one or two others... If you are with someone else the miles seem to roll by a little easier.

Welcome back to the world of bicycles...

Love your Tag Line...that's me.

SG (well, at least I THOUGHT I was fast!)

cydewaze said:
My only advice is to take it easy for the first 30-45 minutes of the ride and give yourself a good warm-up. Don't just hop on the bike and attack immediately.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah - I have thought about the club thing, but honestly...my ego is in the way. I am worried I'll be too out of shape to keep up. No, I am not massively out of shape, but close!

I need to get over it and just let it all "go"...man go...

SG

dgregory57 said:
You have the answer, and the results will follow pretty quickly.

A few points from my own experience.

Ride in a variety of places and enjoy the scenery. I would suggest rail trails as a good alternative to loops while you are getting into shape.

Don't fear hills, but don't assume that you must defeat them immediately. Slow and steady wins the race. Ride up them as far as you can, and you will start to see improvement. Initially start at the bottom so that your reward for going further is a longer ride back.

You might get some ideas for building endurance and strength depending on what your goals are by searching in the Training forum. There are plenty of helpful people here to give you that nudge when you need it.

Also, pick an organized ride next year for a goal. Depending on your current condition, I would suggest a metric century in mid-season next year. I rode one last October on a comfort bike, and I weighed 300 pounds, so unless you are extremely large, it is a very reasonable but challenging goal. If you are near "normal weight", perhaps an imperial century next year is within reach, which is my goal for next season (although I haven't selected a specific ride yet).

I have heard that it is a good idea to find a cycling club with a novice group or hook up with even one or two others... If you are with someone else the miles seem to roll by a little easier.

Welcome back to the world of bicycles...

I think this is all good advice. We all start somewhere and the important thing is to stay on the bike. Don't burn yourself out right away. Realize it's going to take some time to feel like you're getting strong, so enjoy the ride so to speak. Just take it easy and keep it low key so it stays fun.

I liked what someone else said on this thread, "slow and steady wins the race." It's true, and in fact it's a mantra I often repeat to myself when I'm racing or even out on a training ride.

When I got back on the bike several years ago after slipping into a lifestyle of smoking and not taking care of myself, I had the same concerns. It seemed so hard. The thing that helped me a lot was to start commuting on the bike. It's a good way to get the miles in and it's a good way to just take it easy too. It doesn't take long to get totally addicted to it, and that's when you start seeing real results.

I think you will see the biggest improvements over the next couple months you ride. There is this one killer hill right near my apartment. The only way to get back to my apartment is to climb this hill. When I first started, I had to stop half way. I almost just decided to walk the rest of it. But, I kept at it. Over the course of a month or so, I increased my speed up it by about 6mph. Every week I saw a speed increase. Now the hill that used to scare me every ride is nothing but a minor annoyance.

Keep at it and good luck.

-Matt

sgnden said:
OK - So...while living in the past (20 years ago margianlly serious rider)...I envisioned that I would get a great bike and decent gear...jump on and off I'd go with barely a worry. Instead...keel over...

Yes - I bought a very good bike (Trek 5000) after riding a BUNCH...but I jumped-on...FLEW (downill) around for 30 minutes...turned to ride back home (including a hellacious hill) and almost passed-out! Sheesh - I am soooooo stinin out of shape - reality...fat sucks.

Now, I put the bike in my car...DRIVE to a FLAT area and ride in circles until I can get some muscle and endurance re-built...incredible how hard I am finding this!

Any advice on what length/style of riding to do so I can build-up quickly (besides the obvious - time - time - time in the saddle)?

SG

With cycling as with life...The destination is very gratifying but its the journey that is all the fun. Don't worry about your ego or climb just enjoy the ride.

jaguar75 said:
With cycling as with life...The destination is very gratifying but its the journey that is all the fun. Don't worry about your ego or climb just enjoy the ride.
Very well put Jags....

SGNDEN, you might want to consider a trainer as well. This will allow you to build a wide variety of endurance.

I live in the French Creek Valley so I have to climb about four miles out of the valley to get to anything flat. By the time I get to the top my legs feel like Oak trees and I would be wiped out. Then one day I had a brilliant idea! "Why don't I throw the bike in the trainer and ride for 15 minutes before I hit the hills". Warmed up and ready to go, now the hills are a breeze, (well as much of a breeze as a hill could be, good work out though) it really helps.

Here is an example, but there are several types and price ranges.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/trainers.html

LW

sgnden said:

SG
SG - Take it easy. It does take a while. the first thing is to get back to enjoying being out on the bike. I'm in my 40's and also used to ride fairly seriously when i was younger. Whenever I've had a long break (happens frequently with my work), I just take it easy the first few times out. Just remember that, if you're feeling like **** after a ride, it's obviously had an effect on you - ie. you've done some work. After a while, you'll find the buzz from going fast, chasing down a car, summiting a hill etc comes back. Then you'll be looking forward to your rides.
You've bought a bike that is able to see you through many thousands of km's. Now you just have to ride them. Let us know how you're getting on after another 3 or 4 rides.
Eoin

Dont fear the hill, but be sure to respect it.

Approach the hill at a slower speed to save your breath ... say 10 miles an hour when is still relativelly flat. As the damn thing gets steeper engage your lower gear and DO NOT PICK UP SPEED, just go as slow as you can go ... like 4 to 6 mph. Do that for a month like 3 times a week.
Before you know it you will start "graduating" to the next cog. But in order to go at any decent speed on a hill, you have to relearn to attack them.
Slow at first, slow middle, hard last. The subject is also to relearn what is the best body position, grip, overall balance while attacking hills. It is not as obvious as it might seem. I was almost biting the handlebar at first, to realized that it was better to compromise and get the straightest, most forward position posible.
Hands on top, elbows almost locked, and butt almost on the horn. Slide back and forth on the saddle to find the "sweet spot" according to the changes in slope, but for the love of God dont go on the drops. You are not going uphill at any speed that needs that! And once you manage to spin slowly and steadily .... BREATHE DEEP like you are in a hot tub or something. Look up at the canopy once in a while and see it move.

The hills that seemed impossible to me a few months ago are now my pride and joy.

If you want to take a breake every quarter mile, do so for 30 seconds at a time.

But DO NOT STOP RIDING HILLS OR YOU WILL BE FOREVER A FLATLANDER>

I ride with some guys in their 50's and they take it easy, but they are VERY CONSISTENT.

I hope that I helped

sgnden said:
Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah - I have thought about the club thing, but honestly...my ego is in the way. I am worried I'll be too out of shape to keep up. No, I am not massively out of shape, but close!

I need to get over it and just let it all "go"...man go...

SG
Most clubs split into different groups on their weekend rides, and there's no shame in hanging with the slow group. The bigger clubs usually also have a slow ride one evening a week. The important thing is to relax and have fun. Don't worry about how far or fast you're going. Think of being on your bike as a great way to explore the area where you live in a way you've never done before. The more enjoyment you get out of riding, the more you're going to ride. And that's what's going to get you into shape.

Thanks, Matt.

Yeah - I live at the highest part in my town at the top of a long and steep hill (Central CT - very hilly)...I keeled over and actually called my wife to come get me on my second day!! Cracked me up, actually...but it was my own "just crush it up the hill/I can do it" mentality...not the smartest....it took me abnout 30 minutes to recover!

I appreciate the words.

Take care.

SG

mattjf said:
I think you will see the biggest improvements over the next couple months you ride. There is this one killer hill right near my apartment. The only way to get back to my apartment is to climb this hill. When I first started, I had to stop half way. I almost just decided to walk the rest of it. But, I kept at it. Over the course of a month or so, I increased my speed up it by about 6mph. Every week I saw a speed increase. Now the hill that used to scare me every ride is nothing but a minor annoyance.

Keep at it and good luck.

-Matt

sgnden said:

My advice is to not be so hard on yourself and don't be in such a hurry. When I took up cycling a couple of years ago, I was in awful shape. I went on a 10-mile ride with a neighbor, and I had to stop to rest about 4 times! But surprisingly enough, I realized how much I'd enjoyed it, so I kept at it and now I'm hooked.

What I did was to try to ride a little farther OR a little faster each time out. If I had a lot of time, I'd try to increase my distance but but not worry too much about the speed. If I didn't have much time, I'd do a shorter ride, but try to go a little faster than the last time I did that particular ride. I'd make notes on the calendar as to how far I'd ridden each day, and what my average speed was.

As some others have suggested, just ride and enjoy yourself. Don't worry about keeping up with anyone else -- that will come. In the meantime, enjoy the fresh air and the satisfaction of getting a little better each time out.

riding twice a day can stoke the metabolism in short order. I remember folks exprssing surprise and even worry over my rapid conditioning, er, weight loss, when i commuted to work.

a brief ride in the evening of even twenty mins, or in the morn before the day unfolds, it all adds up...

sgnden said:

SG

Sounds like my story. I rode pretty hard in the late 70's, got out of college and just lost interest. Fast forward 20 years. Out of shape, smoking ciggies, lost a friend to heart attack and another to lung cancer. Lifestyle can kill you - time to change. A friend got me into riding a MTB, which got me back to my true love of road biking.

A few things that helped me:

Ride with other people. I push myself harder if I'm in a group, especially if the group is in better shape than I am. It hurts, but that's the point. There is probably a cycling club where you live, with different grades of rides.

Measure your performance. Establish a circuit, 20 or 30 miles, whatever feels good, and record your average speed. You ride harder if you see yourself improving.

If you get hammered on a long ride, go out the next day and do the same ride again. You'll probably see better results. I did. Try riding a hill in the next higher gear than you did on the last ride. There's a wicked little 15% grade, 500 yard long hillclimb near my house. It was a great day when I got up that hill without using the granny gear. And I got up it a lot faster, so I wasn't exerting myself for nearly as long.

Judge yourself by your results, not your age or any other factor. I was wondering if, at age 48, I was over the hill, until I got dropped big time by a 53 year old woman. Man, did that ride put things in perspective. Age doesn't matter, it's motivation and conditioning.

JohnO said:
Sounds like my story. I rode pretty hard in the late 70's, got out of college and just lost interest. Fast forward 20 years. Out of shape, smoking ciggies, lost a friend to heart attack and another to lung cancer. Lifestyle can kill you - time to change. A friend got me into riding a MTB, which got me back to my true love of road biking.

A few things that helped me:

Ride with other people. I push myself harder if I'm in a group, especially if the group is in better shape than I am. It hurts, but that's the point. There is probably a cycling club where you live, with different grades of rides.

Measure your performance. Establish a circuit, 20 or 30 miles, whatever feels good, and record your average speed. You ride harder if you see yourself improving.

If you get hammered on a long ride, go out the next day and do the same ride again. You'll probably see better results. I did. Try riding a hill in the next higher gear than you did on the last ride. There's a wicked little 15% grade, 500 yard long hillclimb near my house. It was a great day when I got up that hill without using the granny gear. And I got up it a lot faster, so I wasn't exerting myself for nearly as long.

Judge yourself by your results, not your age or any other factor. I was wondering if, at age 48, I was over the hill, until I got dropped big time by a 53 year old woman. Man, did that ride put things in perspective. Age doesn't matter, it's motivation and conditioning.
JhonO = Get two women of 26 years old.

Is not quite 53 but damn close ... heck! ...

Time is a lot harder on women than men. Men on their 40's and 50's can get more partners than women on the same age bracket.

.... women dumps you = women has two problems :]
1) dumping singnificant other -
2) good luck finding another one.

Get on awesome shape and ROCK IT!!