Really bad news

Status

Davide Tosi

Guest
Denis Zanette died today at age 32 of a heart attack while during a visit at the dentist Among his
biggest achievement a Giro stage and a 3rd place at the Ronde van Vlaanderen in 2001

Ryan Cousineau

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Davide Tosi) wrote:

> Denis Zanette died today at age 32 of a heart attack while during a visit at the dentist Among his
> biggest achievement a Giro stage and a 3rd place at the Ronde van Vlaanderen in 2001

That's terrible.

But...heart attack, at age 32? Is this just a tragic circumstance, or did someone's number come up
on an EPO promissory note?

Robert Chung

Guest
"Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote
> Denis Zanette died today at age 32 of a heart attack while during a visit at the dentist

This is indeed bad news. Sorry to hear it.

Andy Coggan

Guest
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Davide Tosi) wrote:
>
> > Denis Zanette died today at age 32 of a heart attack while during a
visit
> > at the dentist Among his biggest achievement a Giro stage and a 3rd place at the Ronde
van
> > Vlaanderen in 2001
>
> That's terrible.
>
> But...heart attack, at age 32? Is this just a tragic circumstance, or did someone's number come up
> on an EPO promissory note?

Possibly an allergic reaction to the anesthetic.

Andy Coggan

Howard Kveck

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, "Andy Coggan"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] (Davide Tosi) wrote:
> >
> > > Denis Zanette died today at age 32 of a heart attack while during a
> visit
> > > at the dentist Among his biggest achievement a Giro stage and a 3rd place at the Ronde
> van
> > > Vlaanderen in 2001
> >
> > That's terrible.
> >
> > But...heart attack, at age 32? Is this just a tragic circumstance, or did someone's number come
> > up on an EPO promissory note?
>
> Possibly an allergic reaction to the anesthetic.
>
> Andy Coggan

Cyclenews said he was there for a cleaning, so no anesthetic was involved.

--
tanx, Howard

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?

For some people, quantity IS quality...

Jeff Jones

Guest
"Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<6zLT9.3771

> Possibly an allergic reaction to the anesthetic.

There was no anaesthetic. He was having his teeth cleaned.

cheers, Jeff

Mike Gladu

<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] (Davide Tosi) wrote:
> >
> > > Denis Zanette died today at age 32 of a heart attack while during a
> visit
> > > at the dentist Among his biggest achievement a Giro stage and a 3rd place at the Ronde
> van
> > > Vlaanderen in 2001
> >
> > That's terrible.
> >
> > But...heart attack, at age 32? Is this just a tragic circumstance, or did someone's number come
> > up on an EPO promissory note?
>
> Possibly an allergic reaction to the anesthetic.
>
> Andy Coggan

Mitral Valve Prolapse? This is why some people have to take prophylactic antibiotics before every
dental visit (with or without anestesia). Bacteria from mouth gets in the bloodstream...

Mike G. -

Mike Gladu - Cycling Photojournalist & webmaster of "the 'drome"
Email: [email protected] Online: http://www.velodrome.com/
track racing discussion group: [email protected]

Mark U.

Guest
It happens. This 21 year old athlete almost died.

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/displ
ay?slug=uwom07&date=20030107&query=Kayla+Burt

Mark U.

"Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "Andy
Coggan"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > visit
Ronde
> > van
> > >
> > > That's terrible.
> > >
> > > But...heart attack, at age 32? Is this just a tragic circumstance, or did someone's number
> > > come up on an EPO promissory note?
> >
> > Possibly an allergic reaction to the anesthetic.
> >
> > Andy Coggan
>
> Cyclenews said he was there for a cleaning, so no anesthetic was involved.
>
> --
> tanx, Howard
>

> remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?
>

> For some people, quantity IS quality...

nope

Guest
>> > But...heart attack, at age 32? Is this just a tragic circumstance, or did someone's number come
>> > up on an EPO promissory note?
>>
>> Possibly an allergic reaction to the anesthetic.

Maybe a super sexy hygenist did him in?

Sad news though. My condolonces.

Peter Vesel

Guest
wasn't the Liquigas team heavily investigated at the Giro in 2001.....not to imply
anything of course

Peter

"Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<6zLT9.3771
>
> > Possibly an allergic reaction to the anesthetic.
> >
> There was no anaesthetic. He was having his teeth cleaned.
>
> cheers, Jeff

Sparhawk

Guest
On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 12:42:25 -0600, [email protected] (Mike Gladu) wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, "Andy Coggan"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> visit
>> van
>> >
>> > That's terrible.
>> >
>> > But...heart attack, at age 32? Is this just a tragic circumstance, or did someone's number come
>> > up on an EPO promissory note?
>>
>> Possibly an allergic reaction to the anesthetic.
>>
>> Andy Coggan
>
>Mitral Valve Prolapse? This is why some people have to take prophylactic antibiotics before every
>dental visit (with or without anestesia). Bacteria from mouth gets in the bloodstream...
>
>Mike G.

True but it doesn't cause instant death.

Sparhawk

Ryan Cousineau

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, "Mark U." <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > visit
> Ronde
> > > van

> It happens. This 21 year old athlete almost died.
>
> http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/displ
> ay?slug=uwom07&date=20030107&query=Kayla+Burt

Oh yeah, and I didn't want to libel the poor guy if he was just another very unlucky athlete (whose
members have included several pro athletes and jogging guru James Fixx), but the early death of a
pro cyclist due to heart failure always raises one question, and it's not a pretty one.

Stewart Fleming

Guest
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> and jogging guru James Fixx), but the early death of a pro cyclist due to heart failure always
> raises one question, and it's not a pretty one.

Would that question be: "Did he have a pre-existing heart condition?" STF

Brian Lafferty

Guest
I just got off the phone with Hein Verbruggen and he said that the autopsy will definitely reveal a
pre-existing heart condition, much like the ones that took all those Dutch cyclists in the late 80s
and early 90s. BTW, Hein says he still mourns Marc DeMeyer's early death from the big one. In an
effort to turn the clock back technologically, Hein will be seeking a "Texas" type solution to the
problem. Much like the Hour Record technology roll-back, he plans to ask the teams to voluntarily
limit their drug use in the coming season to amphetamines and steroid inhalers and topical
ointments.

Brian Lafferty

--

"Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>
> > and jogging guru James Fixx), but the early death of a pro cyclist due to heart failure always
> > raises one question, and it's not a pretty one.
>
> Would that question be: "Did he have a pre-existing heart condition?" STF

Marlene Blansha

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Stewart Fleming
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>
> > and jogging guru James Fixx), but the early death of a pro cyclist due to heart failure always
> > raises one question, and it's not a pretty one.
>
> Would that question be: "Did he have a pre-existing heart condition?" STF

Maybe he had an irregular heartbeat. Didn't Eric Devlaminck have a son who died of a heart attack? I
seem to remember he was a cyclocrosser and was told not to race anymore and he continued racing, and
he had a heart attack and died.

ANd there was a dutch cyclist, Bert Ooosterbosch, who died of a heart attack also at 32. He was
retired from the pros by then but was planning a comeback when he died.

Henrik Jensen

Guest
"Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
news:[email protected]...

> Maybe he had an irregular heartbeat. Didn't Eric Devlaminck have a son who died of a heart attack?
> I seem to remember he was a cyclocrosser and was told not to race anymore and he continued racing,
> and he had a heart attack and died.
>
> ANd there was a dutch cyclist, Bert Ooosterbosch, who died of a heart attack also at 32. He was
> retired from the pros by then but was planning a comeback when he died.

The danish handball player Anja Andersen had to stop her career due to heartproblems. During a game
her HR would periodically go way over 200, IIRC

So it could be heartproblems. Indees sad news, regardless of doping issues.

HB

Stewart Fleming

Guest
Marlene Blanshay wrote:

> ANd there was a dutch cyclist, Bert Ooosterbosch, who died of a heart attack also at 32. He was
> retired from the pros by then but was planning a comeback when he died.

Possibly not the best example to use if we are looking for explanations other than EPO use for an
early death due to heart attack... STF

Brian Lafferty

Guest
--
"Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Marlene Blanshay wrote:
>
> > ANd there was a dutch cyclist, Bert Ooosterbosch, who died of a heart attack also at 32. He was
> > retired from the pros by then but was planning
> > comeback when he died.
>
> Possibly not the best example to use if we are looking for explanations
other
> than EPO use for an early death due to heart attack... STF

Steroid abuse comes to mind. Bernard Thevenet admitted that his steroid abuse was causing his
kidneys and heart problems.

Brian Lafferty

Bikerecker

Guest
>But...heart attack, at age 32? Is this just a tragic circumstance, or did someone's number come up
>on an EPO promissory note?

More or less, what i thought when I saw the news. Greg

Frank Tantillo

Guest
He may have had a heart murmur - believe it's called Mitral Valve Prolapse (sp?) -

Prior to a cleaning, the dentist will normally prescribe penicillin or anti-biotic, to prevent
bacteria from entering the system and attacking the dysfunctional valve (sorry, don't really
understand the physiology here).

"Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "Andy
Coggan"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > visit
Ronde
> > van
> > >
> > > That's terrible.
> > >
> > > But...heart attack, at age 32? Is this just a tragic circumstance, or did someone's number
> > > come up on an EPO promissory note?
> >
> > Possibly an allergic reaction to the anesthetic.
> >
> > Andy Coggan
>
> Cyclenews said he was there for a cleaning, so no anesthetic was involved.
>
> --
> tanx, Howard
>

> remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?
>

> For some people, quantity IS quality...