Really bad news

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Davide Tosi, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Davide Tosi

    Davide Tosi Guest

    Denis Zanette died today at age 32 of a heart attack while during a visit at the dentist Among his
    biggest achievement a Giro stage and a 3rd place at the Ronde van Vlaanderen in 2001

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Davide Tosi) wrote:

    > Denis Zanette died today at age 32 of a heart attack while during a visit at the dentist Among his
    > biggest achievement a Giro stage and a 3rd place at the Ronde van Vlaanderen in 2001

    That's terrible.

    But...heart attack, at age 32? Is this just a tragic circumstance, or did someone's number come up
    on an EPO promissory note?

  3. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Denis Zanette died today at age 32 of a heart attack while during a visit at the dentist

    This is indeed bad news. Sorry to hear it.

  4. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (Davide Tosi) wrote:
    >
    > > Denis Zanette died today at age 32 of a heart attack while during a
    visit
    > > at the dentist Among his biggest achievement a Giro stage and a 3rd place at the Ronde
    van
    > > Vlaanderen in 2001
    >
    > That's terrible.
    >
    > But...heart attack, at age 32? Is this just a tragic circumstance, or did someone's number come up
    > on an EPO promissory note?

    Possibly an allergic reaction to the anesthetic.

    Andy Coggan

  5. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Andy Coggan"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > [email protected] (Davide Tosi) wrote:
    > >
    > > > Denis Zanette died today at age 32 of a heart attack while during a
    > visit
    > > > at the dentist Among his biggest achievement a Giro stage and a 3rd place at the Ronde
    > van
    > > > Vlaanderen in 2001
    > >
    > > That's terrible.
    > >
    > > But...heart attack, at age 32? Is this just a tragic circumstance, or did someone's number come
    > > up on an EPO promissory note?
    >
    > Possibly an allergic reaction to the anesthetic.
    >
    > Andy Coggan

    Cyclenews said he was there for a cleaning, so no anesthetic was involved.

    --
    tanx, Howard

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?

    For some people, quantity IS quality...

  6. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<6zLT9.3771

    > Possibly an allergic reaction to the anesthetic.

    There was no anaesthetic. He was having his teeth cleaned.

    cheers, Jeff

  7. Mike Gladu

    Mike Gladu Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > [email protected] (Davide Tosi) wrote:
    > >
    > > > Denis Zanette died today at age 32 of a heart attack while during a
    > visit
    > > > at the dentist Among his biggest achievement a Giro stage and a 3rd place at the Ronde
    > van
    > > > Vlaanderen in 2001
    > >
    > > That's terrible.
    > >
    > > But...heart attack, at age 32? Is this just a tragic circumstance, or did someone's number come
    > > up on an EPO promissory note?
    >
    > Possibly an allergic reaction to the anesthetic.
    >
    > Andy Coggan

    Mitral Valve Prolapse? This is why some people have to take prophylactic antibiotics before every
    dental visit (with or without anestesia). Bacteria from mouth gets in the bloodstream...

    Mike G. -

    Mike Gladu - Cycling Photojournalist & webmaster of "the 'drome"
    Email: [email protected] Online: http://www.velodrome.com/
    track racing discussion group: [email protected]

  8. Mark U.

    Mark U. Guest

    It happens. This 21 year old athlete almost died.

    http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/displ
    ay?slug=uwom07&date=20030107&query=Kayla+Burt

    Mark U.

    "Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Andy
    Coggan"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > visit
    Ronde
    > > van
    > > >
    > > > That's terrible.
    > > >
    > > > But...heart attack, at age 32? Is this just a tragic circumstance, or did someone's number
    > > > come up on an EPO promissory note?
    > >
    > > Possibly an allergic reaction to the anesthetic.
    > >
    > > Andy Coggan
    >
    > Cyclenews said he was there for a cleaning, so no anesthetic was involved.
    >
    > --
    > tanx, Howard
    >

    > remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?
    >

    > For some people, quantity IS quality...

  9. nope

    nope Guest

    >> > But...heart attack, at age 32? Is this just a tragic circumstance, or did someone's number come
    >> > up on an EPO promissory note?
    >>
    >> Possibly an allergic reaction to the anesthetic.

    Maybe a super sexy hygenist did him in?

    Sad news though. My condolonces.

  10. Peter Vesel

    Peter Vesel Guest

    wasn't the Liquigas team heavily investigated at the Giro in 2001.....not to imply
    anything of course

    Peter

    "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<6zLT9.3771
    >
    > > Possibly an allergic reaction to the anesthetic.
    > >
    > There was no anaesthetic. He was having his teeth cleaned.
    >
    > cheers, Jeff

  11. Sparhawk

    Sparhawk Guest

    On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 12:42:25 -0600, [email protected] (Mike Gladu) wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, "Andy Coggan"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...

    >> visit
    >> van
    >> >
    >> > That's terrible.
    >> >
    >> > But...heart attack, at age 32? Is this just a tragic circumstance, or did someone's number come
    >> > up on an EPO promissory note?
    >>
    >> Possibly an allergic reaction to the anesthetic.
    >>
    >> Andy Coggan
    >
    >Mitral Valve Prolapse? This is why some people have to take prophylactic antibiotics before every
    >dental visit (with or without anestesia). Bacteria from mouth gets in the bloodstream...
    >
    >Mike G.

    True but it doesn't cause instant death.

    Sparhawk

  12. In article <[email protected]>, "Mark U." <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > > visit
    > Ronde
    > > > van

    > It happens. This 21 year old athlete almost died.
    >
    > http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/displ
    > ay?slug=uwom07&date=20030107&query=Kayla+Burt

    Oh yeah, and I didn't want to libel the poor guy if he was just another very unlucky athlete (whose
    members have included several pro athletes and jogging guru James Fixx), but the early death of a
    pro cyclist due to heart failure always raises one question, and it's not a pretty one.

  13. Ryan Cousineau wrote:

    > and jogging guru James Fixx), but the early death of a pro cyclist due to heart failure always
    > raises one question, and it's not a pretty one.

    Would that question be: "Did he have a pre-existing heart condition?" STF

  14. I just got off the phone with Hein Verbruggen and he said that the autopsy will definitely reveal a
    pre-existing heart condition, much like the ones that took all those Dutch cyclists in the late 80s
    and early 90s. BTW, Hein says he still mourns Marc DeMeyer's early death from the big one. In an
    effort to turn the clock back technologically, Hein will be seeking a "Texas" type solution to the
    problem. Much like the Hour Record technology roll-back, he plans to ask the teams to voluntarily
    limit their drug use in the coming season to amphetamines and steroid inhalers and topical
    ointments.

    Brian Lafferty

    --

    "Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Ryan Cousineau wrote:
    >
    > > and jogging guru James Fixx), but the early death of a pro cyclist due to heart failure always
    > > raises one question, and it's not a pretty one.
    >
    > Would that question be: "Did he have a pre-existing heart condition?" STF

  15. In article <[email protected]>, Stewart Fleming
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Ryan Cousineau wrote:
    >
    > > and jogging guru James Fixx), but the early death of a pro cyclist due to heart failure always
    > > raises one question, and it's not a pretty one.
    >
    > Would that question be: "Did he have a pre-existing heart condition?" STF

    Maybe he had an irregular heartbeat. Didn't Eric Devlaminck have a son who died of a heart attack? I
    seem to remember he was a cyclocrosser and was told not to race anymore and he continued racing, and
    he had a heart attack and died.

    ANd there was a dutch cyclist, Bert Ooosterbosch, who died of a heart attack also at 32. He was
    retired from the pros by then but was planning a comeback when he died.

  16. "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]...

    > Maybe he had an irregular heartbeat. Didn't Eric Devlaminck have a son who died of a heart attack?
    > I seem to remember he was a cyclocrosser and was told not to race anymore and he continued racing,
    > and he had a heart attack and died.
    >
    > ANd there was a dutch cyclist, Bert Ooosterbosch, who died of a heart attack also at 32. He was
    > retired from the pros by then but was planning a comeback when he died.

    The danish handball player Anja Andersen had to stop her career due to heartproblems. During a game
    her HR would periodically go way over 200, IIRC

    So it could be heartproblems. Indees sad news, regardless of doping issues.

    HB

  17. Marlene Blanshay wrote:

    > ANd there was a dutch cyclist, Bert Ooosterbosch, who died of a heart attack also at 32. He was
    > retired from the pros by then but was planning a comeback when he died.

    Possibly not the best example to use if we are looking for explanations other than EPO use for an
    early death due to heart attack... STF

  18. --
    "Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Marlene Blanshay wrote:
    >
    > > ANd there was a dutch cyclist, Bert Ooosterbosch, who died of a heart attack also at 32. He was
    > > retired from the pros by then but was planning
    > > comeback when he died.
    >
    > Possibly not the best example to use if we are looking for explanations
    other
    > than EPO use for an early death due to heart attack... STF

    Steroid abuse comes to mind. Bernard Thevenet admitted that his steroid abuse was causing his
    kidneys and heart problems.

    Brian Lafferty

  19. Bikerecker

    Bikerecker Guest

    >But...heart attack, at age 32? Is this just a tragic circumstance, or did someone's number come up
    >on an EPO promissory note?

    More or less, what i thought when I saw the news. Greg

  20. He may have had a heart murmur - believe it's called Mitral Valve Prolapse (sp?) -

    Prior to a cleaning, the dentist will normally prescribe penicillin or anti-biotic, to prevent
    bacteria from entering the system and attacking the dysfunctional valve (sorry, don't really
    understand the physiology here).

    news:[email protected]ews.attbi.com...