Really Cheap Full Carbon With Shimano Ultegra Bike Review

Danix

Mar 28, 2007
Cellbikes in Sydney are selling a full carbon bike with shimano ultegra kit for $2299. It's called the VICTOR and the specs are sensational + the price is half that of similarly spec'd big brand bikes ... but has anyone actually used one of these that they can recommend / not recommend first-hand before I buy?

Danix said:
Cellbikes in Sydney are selling a full carbon bike with shimano ultegra kit for $2299. It's called the VICTOR and the specs are sensational + the price is half that of similarly spec'd big brand bikes ... but has anyone actually used one of these that they can recommend / not recommend first-hand before I buy?
Well, it's cheap, but not ridiculously cheap from what I can see. Is it actually half the price of other big name bikes? I don't know what prices are like in Australia, but if it IS half price, that is too cheap to be safe in my opinion. If it's a fair bit cheaper and is well made of carbon fibre and the joints look good, I'd say go for it. At the very least, if it's under warranty and it craps out, you'll have an Ultegra bike waiting for a frame...

In Canada, the best deal I've seen is this Louis Garneau Pro team road bike. It's a solid racer, $2800CDN, and 17lbs. It's full carbon as well. This bike is the sexiest thing I've ever seen, and at what a price! Garneau is a solid name, so I'd trust my life with that bike. Here's the link. If you could get it in Australia, I'd say go for it! Otherwise, Giant has some good deals on Carbon/aluminum bikes if you're worried. They have the best bang for the buck overall.
http://louisgarneau.com/eng/sum_catalog.asp?catalogue=CE7

Click on the Pro Team Sport 6.2 bike.

K50 said:
Well, it's cheap, but not ridiculously cheap from what I can see. Is it actually half the price of other big name bikes? I don't know what prices are like in Australia, but if it IS half price, that is too cheap to be safe in my opinion. If it's a fair bit cheaper and is well made of carbon fibre and the joints look good, I'd say go for it. At the very least, if it's under warranty and it craps out, you'll have an Ultegra bike waiting for a frame...
Thanks K50.
The Cell Victor ($2300) comes with a 5 year frame warranty so they obviously back up their product. I am also looking at the Bianchi 928 ($4000) and Cannondale Synapse1 or 2 ($3600-$4300).
All I know about the Cell is that is comes out of the same factory that makes Gitane and Diamondback frames. I am a believer that the order of importance is the rider, then the components, then the frame (these days I think manufacturing processes have closed the gap between manufacturers frame building differences more than ever before) ... I just don't want to buy too cheap and regret it later.

Danix said:
Thanks K50.
The Cell Victor ($2300) comes with a 5 year frame warranty so they obviously back up their product. I am also looking at the Bianchi 928 ($4000) and Cannondale Synapse1 or 2 ($3600-$4300).
All I know about the Cell is that is comes out of the same factory that makes Gitane and Diamondback frames. I am a believer that the order of importance is the rider, then the components, then the frame (these days I think manufacturing processes have closed the gap between manufacturers frame building differences more than ever before) ... I just don't want to buy too cheap and regret it later.
Danix,

We do stand behind our bikes, and have a sponsored triathlete/aquathon rider (Clayton Fettell) punishing the Victor and giving us feedback. Don't be mislead into thinking paying a lot of money gives you quality. We have yet to have anyone claim warranty on the Victor. If you guys knew how much BMW's and Mercs really cost to make, as compared to how much they sell them for, you'd be floored!

When I used to live in Japan, the Japanese tend to overpay for things, thinking that it was 'real', or 'the best'. Imagine paying $10 for Tim Tams (the small pack)! If you showed them the real price of Tim Tams in Australia, they wouldn't believe you, it's an Aussie delicacy there!

If anyone has any requests for a bike they'd like to see made, or some constructive criticism, feel free to email me. Oh yeah, we have an affordable fixed gear/single speed bike in the works, any suggestions would be most welcome.

CELLbikes said:
Danix,

We do stand behind our bikes, and have a sponsored triathlete/aquathon rider (Clayton Fettell) punishing the Victor and giving us feedback. Don't be mislead into thinking paying a lot of money gives you quality. We have yet to have anyone claim warranty on the Victor. If you guys knew how much BMW's and Mercs really cost to make, as compared to how much they sell them for, you'd be floored!

When I used to live in Japan, the Japanese tend to overpay for things, thinking that it was 'real', or 'the best'. Imagine paying $10 for Tim Tams (the small pack)! If you showed them the real price of Tim Tams in Australia, they wouldn't believe you, it's an Aussie delicacy there!

If anyone has any requests for a bike they'd like to see made, or some constructive criticism, feel free to email me. Oh yeah, we have an affordable fixed gear/single speed bike in the works, any suggestions would be most welcome.
That was an impressive post. I'm glad to see that there's still hard work and quality out there that doesn't boast a huge price, and that someone from the company is actually out there seeing what's going on and what people think.

K50 said:
That was an impressive post. I'm glad to see that there's still hard work and quality out there that doesn't boast a huge price, and that someone from the company is actually out there seeing what's going on and what people think.
Kev, thanks for the reply, if you ever check out our website, any constructive feedback would be welcome. We want to listen to what riders want and give it to them. I'll be around these forums answering any questions about our bikes, or asking questions myself about what people like in a bike.

Cheers,

-Mark

Danix said:
Thanks K50.
"...I am a believer that the order of importance is the rider, then the components, then the frame (these days I think manufacturing processes have closed the gap between manufacturers frame building differences more than ever before) ..."
I like that (in bold). I like it very much. :)

"...I am a believer that the order of importance is the rider, then the components, then the frame .....

The rider is you, the components are third party, but the frame is the body AND soul of a bike. The frame IS the bike! :)

::dom:: said:
The rider is you, the components are third party, but the frame is the body AND soul of a bike. The frame IS the bike! :)
This is correct.

A great frame will always be better than a bike with a lesser frame and better components. The frame dictates every characteristic from handling to climbing, ride, and comfort.

CELLbikes said:
Danix,

Australia is definitely missing an affordable cyclocross style bike. There's a great deal of variety in the states but hardly anything here, I think a reasonably priced cyclocross bike would be almost unique in the market, it's a niche, but one that you can almost have all to yourselves.

Australia needs a top quality road bike!!! Teschner is leading the way but surely someone like Cell could produce a sub 7kg carbon bike at a reasonable price.

The current Cell bikes do nothing for me, if they produce a sub 7kg roadie and get RIDE magazine to review it (a real bike review not just fence sitting). It may show a little more committment to quality and I may sit up and notice.

The Scott CR1 Team for $3200 is the best value bike on the Aussie market today, this was a pro tour frame last year!!! Now Cell, how can you comepete with that!!!

Wayno said:
Australia needs a top quality road bike!!! Teschner is leading the way but surely someone like Cell could produce a sub 7kg carbon bike at a reasonable price.

The current Cell bikes do nothing for me, if they produce a sub 7kg roadie and get RIDE magazine to review it (a real bike review not just fence sitting). It may show a little more committment to quality and I may sit up and notice.

The Scott CR1 Team for $3200 is the best value bike on the Aussie market today, this was a pro tour frame last year!!! Now Cell, how can you comepete with that!!!
Wayno, we design bikes for everyone. $3,200 is not an everyman's price. The Victor is almost $1,000 less, grant it, it's not a "pro tour frame", but give us time, we sponsor the World Under 23 Aquathon Champ. Scott's been around since 1958 (originally making Ski poles), we're starting out and making ground. Scott is a multi-million dollar operation and we're a small company, see us in 50 years and see how well we're competing.

beebbleb said:
Australia is definitely missing an affordable cyclocross style bike. There's a great deal of variety in the states but hardly anything here, I think a reasonably priced cyclocross bike would be almost unique in the market, it's a niche, but one that you can almost have all to yourselves.
Mate, I hear ya on the Cyclocross bike. I used to own a Redline Conquest back in the day and had it fitted with 48 spoke Phil Wood hubs and Mavic rims and really loved that bike! I'd like to get one made in the near future after we do a single speed/fixie.

CELLbikes said:
If anyone has any requests for a bike they'd like to see made, or some constructive criticism, feel free to email me.
I'd like to see Cell offer decent flat bar road bikes beyond the SS100.

For example, why not offer the 'Swift' as a flat-bar, with decent rapid-fire shifters, put on a triple front sprocket, give it a name and price it at $699 delivered! :)

I'll be the first to order!