Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Really confused: Headsets, threaded, threadless, 1 inch, 1-18th inch??

Started by Ken M · · Last activity · 5 posts · 540 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
12 December 2005
Last activity
14 December 2005
Original author
Ken M
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
540
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Help please! I bought this Raleigh hybrid about 3 months ago and have
    ridden it about 2200-2500 miles. It's a good bike for the type of riding
    I do, but with just a few changes it would be better. The fork that is
    on it now is the stock Suntour suspension. I want to switch it out to a
    rigid fork. The Raleigh website has it listed as having an "integrated
    threaded" headset. I have been told that I can't put a 1 & 1/8th
    threadless fork in this bike. I was in the LBS where I bought the bike
    and they told me "Yeah we can put a threadless fork in there for you for
    around $100 for all the parts and labor." The needed parts being a fork,
    a headset and a stem. So now I am CONFUSED.

    This is the bike I am working on:
    http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=7&itemid=228&va=0

    This is the fork I want to install:
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=86&subcategory=1182&sku=13283&brand=\

    Ken
    --
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

  2. Don't know what diameter your headset is, but make sure the fork you
    get is suspension-corrected (at least 413mm betw. axle to crown). In
    other words, the Nashbar fork you cited is probably not suitable unless
    you want your bike to have twitchier handling.

  3. Ken M said:

    Help please! I bought this Raleigh hybrid about 3 months ago and have
    ridden it about 2200-2500 miles. It's a good bike for the type of riding
    I do, but with just a few changes it would be better. The fork that is
    on it now is the stock Suntour suspension. I want to switch it out to a
    rigid fork. The Raleigh website has it listed as having an "integrated
    threaded" headset. I have been told that I can't put a 1 & 1/8th
    threadless fork in this bike. I was in the LBS where I bought the bike
    and they told me "Yeah we can put a threadless fork in there for you for
    around $100 for all the parts and labor." The needed parts being a fork,
    a headset and a stem. So now I am CONFUSED.

    Yes, in order to install a threadless fork (like the one from Nashbar)
    on your bike, you will need to replace the headset and stem, since
    "threaded" and "threadless" headsets and stems are very different
    animals indeed.

    1 1/8" threaded forks for 700C wheels are pretty rare. If you want to
    go rigid, you may be stuck with swapping out everything.

    Jeff

  4. Ken M said:

    Help please! I bought this Raleigh hybrid about 3 months ago and have
    ridden it about 2200-2500 miles. It's a good bike for the type of riding
    I do, but with just a few changes it would be better. The fork that is
    on it now is the stock Suntour suspension. I want to switch it out to a
    rigid fork. The Raleigh website has it listed as having an "integrated
    threaded" headset. I have been told that I can't put a 1 & 1/8th
    threadless fork in this bike. I was in the LBS where I bought the bike
    and they told me "Yeah we can put a threadless fork in there for you for
    around $100 for all the parts and labor." The needed parts being a fork,
    a headset and a stem. So now I am CONFUSED.

    This is the bike I am working on:
    http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=7&itemid=228&va=0

    This is the fork I want to install:
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=86&subcategory=1182&sku=13283&brand=\

    One of the tricky aspects of upgrading is figuring out all the parts
    compatibilities. If you don't have much experience perhaps it is a
    better idea just to have the LBS handle it.

    Generally, knowledge=experience=mistakes=extra time & money.

  5. JeffWills said:
    Ken M said:

    Help please! I bought this Raleigh hybrid about 3 months ago and have
    ridden it about 2200-2500 miles. It's a good bike for the type of riding
    I do, but with just a few changes it would be better. The fork that is
    on it now is the stock Suntour suspension. I want to switch it out to a
    rigid fork. The Raleigh website has it listed as having an "integrated
    threaded" headset. I have been told that I can't put a 1 & 1/8th
    threadless fork in this bike. I was in the LBS where I bought the bike
    and they told me "Yeah we can put a threadless fork in there for you for
    around $100 for all the parts and labor." The needed parts being a fork,
    a headset and a stem. So now I am CONFUSED.

    Yes, in order to install a threadless fork (like the one from Nashbar)
    on your bike, you will need to replace the headset and stem, since
    "threaded" and "threadless" headsets and stems are very different
    animals indeed.

    1 1/8" threaded forks for 700C wheels are pretty rare. If you want to
    go rigid, you may be stuck with swapping out everything.

    your best shot at a rigid 1 1/8 threaded fork for 700C wheels is
    probably off a tandem from the late '90s. I'm sure somebody who has
    upgraded to a carbon fork has one sitting around.

    Baird

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.