Really need help with a headset for a road bike

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Callumgalla99, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Callumgalla99

Callumgalla99 New Member

okay so last year i bought a bike frame on the cheap. i have currently built my bike but there is one big problem. for the life of me i don't what headset I need or what headset bearings to buy could some please help me

also this frame is identical to the NOVE road race bike, but i cant seem to find what headset is used in that bike either, any help appreciated.

The SPECTS
    upload_2021-1-21_9-48-32.png upload_2021-1-21_9-52-2.png [​IMG]

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Buy a Vernier caliper. Measure the bearing seats, in millimeters. Down to the tenths or better. Post the results here, or go shopping.

3. Callumgalla99

Callumgalla99 New Member

thanks bud just purchased one should come tomorrow, ill post results then appreciate the help

4. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Once you have those measurements I would get a Cane Creek 110 headset if they have one that will fit the measurements which they should.

5. Germanrazor

Germanrazor Active Member

Chris King......
    Always been a safe and rather awesome headset for me.

6. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Chris King use to be the go-to headset, but Cane Creek's 110 upped the game and Chris King hasn't so far answered back. But the CC has more seals than the CK plus the CC has extra seals for the cups. The main thing is that the CC supports and stabilizes the steerer tube better than the CK with a split compression ring the CK lacks, which has been a telling thing with the CK as steerer tubes will show wear after time because all CK uses is a rubber O ring. Plus the CC now has a lifetime warranty, the one I got has a 110 year warranty of which there is 102 years left on the warranty, but the CC has a 10 year warranty the last time I checked.

I'm not sure what is happening with headsets anyways, they are a pretty simple device, I have headsets made back in the early '80s with over 150,000 miles on them and never had any issues, yet the modern ones like the FSA Orbit Extreme Pro haven't been lasting long at all, I've heard a lot of people on the internet getting only 2 to 5 years out of them. Geez I have kids bikes from Walmart that the headsets lasted longer with more abuse then the expensive FSA did. So now the industry wants you to buy top dollar headsets in order for them to last virtually forever?

Everywhere you go on the bike forums the consensus is the CC 110 is the best one over the CC.

7. Germanrazor

Germanrazor Active Member

EMV

8. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

That figures you would have one.

9. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

That should read: CC 110 is the best one over the CK, just noticed the typo.

10. cyclintom

cyclintom Well-Known Member

There are so many cheap headsets that the choice is endless and the only important thing is that they fit and have sealed bearings. dabac was quite correct that if you are installing parts yourself you have to know their sizes correctly and you can get that close enough with a metric Vernier caliper. Thank heavens they included the 1.5" taper headset for my new Felt gravel bike because I would never have guessed that they would put a tapered headset on a metal fork. Which then brought on the problem of having to buy a 1.5" fork base installation tool. The one I have fits everything but 1.5".

Imagine trying to guess whether you need a 26.8 27 or 27.2 mm seat post. Own a Vernier.

11. mrzagros

mrzagros New Member

For many years, threaded headsets were the only type available. They require the fork's steerer tube to be cut to an exact measurement for use with a specific frame. The use of a threadless headset allows for greater adjustability and fine tuning in order to achieve the perfect fit. For this reason, threadless headsets have become the norm in recent years.