Really need your opinion about a trek 1200 and a giant ocr 2

Scaro

Jun 15, 2003
the thing is this....

my cousing and I have done mtb for a while... he 2 years... I 8 months hehe.... and now we want join route cycling but we don't have to much money to spend and we cant agree on what bike get of 2 we have in mind

trek 1200

giant ocr 2

both 2004

I'd thnk your comments.

Originally posted by Scaro
the thing is this....

my cousing and I have done mtb for a while... he 2 years... I 8 months hehe.... and now we want join route cycling but we don't have to much money to spend and we cant agree on what bike get of 2 we have in mind

trek 1200

giant ocr 2

both 2004

I'd thnk your comments.

I'd suggest 2004 Trek 1500

I have a 1200 that is several years old and i absolutly love it. I bought it used at a pawn shop for about $150, have been commuting on it for about 3 or 4 years and have done nothing to it. It is fast, snappy and reliable. I do not know anything about the giant except i think they are owne by Trek. I loved this trek so much I bought a 520 for cross country touring. The only thing about the new 1200's is that they do not have 105 component. I have found that while they may not give you the best shifting they are very reliable and not that expensive. If you can afford to go up to the next model that has 105s I would suggest it. Check out the Trek webiste. Good luck.

Originally posted by Scaro
the thing is this....

trek 1200

giant ocr 2

both 2004

I'd thnk your comments.

Originally posted by inthetrees
I do not know anything about the giant except i think they are owne by Trek.
Really? When did this happen? Giant is good bang for the buck.

I have a 2002 model 1200 and have used it for training and long distance riding (Rome to London - 1350 miles in 16 days). It's my first road bike and I love it. I did change the wheels for something a bit lighter (Mavic Open Pro) which helped it lose a bit of weight, but value for money I have no complaints - except, I have changed the main bearing twice already which is a bit disappointing for a bike that has only done about 3,000 miles. Can't help you on the Giant, but you can't really go wrong with either. Good luck.

My wife just bought a 2004 1200. so far it has les than 50 miles, but she is very happy with it. It does have a 105 rear derailer, tiagra shifters and front derailer. The carbon fork makes it a very good value. I would lean to the 1200....
Joe

Scaro,

Either the Trek or Giant are fine bikes. Ride both and go with the one that you like better or feel the best on. You may also want to look at the Marin line. They have 3 bikes under $1,000 US dollars with great frames (better than either the Trek or Giant) and can be upgraded through putting better components on them later. Always choose frame first, components (gears, wheels, etc...) second. Many in the bicycle industry consider low end bikes like the 1200 and OCR 2 as "parts hangers" (not great frames but better components in these price ranges.

Best wishes and welcome to the road scene.

I agree that either is a good choice. My girlfriend has a Trek 1000 and it has be a great bike. I alway suggest going with the one that feels right (either the handling or just the way it looks in the garage on a rainy day). Hard to put that onto the spec list.

Our family bought new road bikes this summer. I ride a Giant OCR 1, my husband rides the OCR 2, and my 10 year old son rides a Trek 1000. My husband chose the Giant over the trek because "you get more bang for the buck". I can certainly tell the difference between my bike and my son's bike, of course, my cost significantly more than the Trek. For me the OCR works best over theTrek. But bottom line is buy what FEELS the best.

Also I do believe that Giant is the largest bicycle manufactor in the world. They make the frames for many other bicycling compaines.

Hey, Man.
They both good bicycle,But it's all about the price right?
So if they can beat $600.00 or so no more then $700.00
Try looking at KHS flight 300..They very good bikes and if your just starting to ride road ..why not ....you ever know,,,, take one out for a test ride someday.... good luck fron San Francisco

I have a 2001 trek 1200 and have used without incident.
However, I would suggest that you go to your LBS and ride both and then decide.

L

My wife is PaintNLady. As she posted, I have the Giant OCR2. I have over 800 miles on it now. The only thing I've done was adjust cables slightly on it. The shifting stays right on, the wheels are still true. I've crashed on it twice (lost traction in fast turns and basically my body protected the bike).

I got the OCR2 because of the parts hanging on it and the cost of the package. You get what you pay for, within reason.

I am in exactly the same position, having spent the last few months struggling along at 15mph on roads in the chiltern hills with my slick-tired mtb!!!!

I think I'm gonna go get myself a trek 1200 once I've earnt a bit of dosh, thanks for the advice all!

Originally posted by pineapple
I am in exactly the same position, having spent the last few months struggling along at 15mph on roads in the chiltern hills with my slick-tired mtb!!!!

I think I'm gonna go get myself a trek 1200 once I've earnt a bit of dosh, thanks for the advice all!

I got a 2003 closeout OCR2 in September. I've got about 1000 miles on it and the only thing I've done is change the tires. I paid $650 and am very happy with the bike.

Originally posted by eaglecycling ...Many in the bicycle industry consider low end bikes like the 1200 and OCR 2 as "parts hangers" (not great frames but better components in these price ranges.

I thought that the trek 1xxx range shared a common frame (they always used to)

best wishes
james

The Specialized Allez Sport appears to be a direct competitor to the Trek 1200 and the Giant OCR 2. The MSRP for all three is virtually identical ($820) and the components are in the same basic category. So which one is the best? Does it really make a difference or is it flip a coin?

Originally posted by jmgradon
The Specialized Allez Sport appears to be a direct competitor to the Trek 1200 and the Giant OCR 2. The MSRP for all three is virtually identical ($820) and the components are in the same basic category. So which one is the best? Does it really make a difference or is it flip a coin?
The only significant difference, provided you don't get too hung up on evaluating the dollar value of each tiny component, is personal preference -- ride, fit, comfort, style -- and that's nothing to sneeze at. That aspect is best informed by a spin around the block, or at least a hands on session, of course.

Technically, though? These bikes are very, very similar. Flip a coin indeed.