really newbie question

marky2fresh

Apr 17, 2005
I've been bike riding for about 2 years and I always wondered what the gear on the left handle bar did, can anyone give me the gist of it?

marky2fresh said:
I've been bike riding for about 2 years and I always wondered what the gear on the left handle bar did, can anyone give me the gist of it?
Shifts the front derailer,assuming you have more than one chainring on your crankset?

marky2fresh said:
The shifter on the left operates the gears on the front.

Walrus said:
The shifter on the left operates the gears on the front.
please tell me you didnt buy this from a bike shop and they let you leave without telling you how to shift your bike !!!!

What the 'gear on the left handlebar' does... is this a joke post? Trolling a bike forum with such questions?!? :confused: On the left you have the front derailleur and front brake typically, configurations may vary. Hmm...

jrstang473 said:
please tell me you didnt buy this from a bike shop and they let you leave without telling you how to shift your bike !!!!

No I bought it from a yard sale, I know it moves the derailer around I just dont know what that accomplishs.

marky2fresh said:
No I bought it from a yard sale, I know it moves the derailer around I just dont know what that accomplishs.
Well I will be a fool and assume this is a genuine post. The shifter on the left moves the chain on the front derailleur between the front 2 (or3) chainrings. thus putting you in the higher (or lower) gear range, the higher gear range being faster (ie:harder to pedal) and the lower gear range being slower (or easier to pedal) making it easier for climbing.

I do, however find it hard to fathom that you have been riding for 2 years and did not know this, or is this your first road bike?

Brian