Really odd!! please please help

tomb08uk

May 24, 2007
Hi, I have a trek 6000. The bike I have had for about 10 weeks, and it used to occasionally squeak.

But today I went down a steep tarmac hill and had to use the brakes neraly all the way down, and now when riding the bike it constantly squeaks, whether pedalling or free rolling.

Now if i mount the bike to my bike stand, it never squeaks. But as soon as I start to ride it, it squeaks. Doesnt just squeak with me on it, but anyone...
So basically only squeaks when on it.

any suggestions, I have booked in at local bike shop but any suggestions as got to wait over a week before they can look at it.

Look forward to response,

Tom

The first thing to do is to pick it up and spin the wheels. See if they squeak and if it's the brakes or the hubs.
Usually it isn't. Usually it's something you wouldn't guess.
But I'm guessing it's the saddle. Saddles can be creaky, squeaky or clicky, and bother the hell out of you until you realize where the sound is coming from.

When the bike is on a stand it doesnt squeak. The seat - i dont think it is to be honest. Apparently somethign to do witht eh hubb bearing will need to be adjusted - that sound right?

tomb08uk said:
When the bike is on a stand it doesnt squeak. The seat - i dont think it is to be honest. Apparently somethign to do witht eh hubb bearing will need to be adjusted - that sound right?
Depending on what type of bearing you have, you may just need to clean and repack it if it's an open bearing. **** can get in and make it squeak rythmically as the wheel rotates. If it's a sealed bearing or cartridge bearing, it might be time to buy a new cartridge. Bearings only squeak with weight on it, i.e., you... This happened to me a while back and just cleaning and repacking the hub took care of the issue. You might also check the cones if you have a cone wrench to adjust them, but they can touchy little buggers to get just right. Hopefully this isn't beyond your mechanical skills. If it is, just wait it out and turn up the MP3 player.:D

tomb08uk said:
Probably not, especially on such a new bike.

How loud is the squeek? If it's high pitched and not very loud you might have a dry hub bearing seal. If that's the case, a tiny drop of silicon lube where the axle comes out of the hub will fix it.

tomb08uk said:
Hi, I have a trek 6000. The bike I have had for about 10 weeks, and it used to occasionally squeak.

But today I went down a steep tarmac hill and had to use the brakes neraly all the way down, and now when riding the bike it constantly squeaks, whether pedalling or free rolling.

Now if i mount the bike to my bike stand, it never squeaks. But as soon as I start to ride it, it squeaks. Doesnt just squeak with me on it, but anyone...

any suggestions, I have booked in at local bike shop but any suggestions as got to wait over a week before they can look at it.

Tom
Try the Kiss approach, I had a really annoying creak in my reacently assembled bike. I was sure it was going to be the bottom bracket alloy threads. Guess what a bit of extra grease on the seat post and next ride -----silent : )

Dean Thomas said:
Try the Kiss approach, I had a really annoying creak in my reacently assembled bike. I was sure it was going to be the bottom bracket alloy threads. Guess what a bit of extra grease on the seat post and next ride -----silent : )
Kiss as in KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Differant bike and likely differant issues. But I have a Trek 6500 and it had a few noises that I have tracked down and solved. The bike has hydrolic disks and road grit would get caught in between the pad and brake and Id have to continnually use the brakes while riding to move the grit out. I adjusted the pad clearance open just a bit to solve this. The front derailer was rubbing and this had to be tweaked. The cables in front of the bars would slap against the reflector and I used a small wire tie to tie the cables together. The seat squeeked and still does.

Mark
tomb08uk said:

Tom

My seat post squeeks inside my bike. I ride alone alot so I sometimes welcome the noise. (Yes, I talk to my bike.:eek: )