Really Thin Coax

John Everett

Guest
Does anyone know of a source for the extremely thin coax that's used
to connect the reed switch and the mounting bracket on Vetta (and I
assume other) cyclocomputers? I have five bikes equipped with Vetta
HR1000s (or the clone SuperGo HRM1000) and I just had the wire break
off the bracket on one of them. I'm considering grinding into the
epoxy where the wire emerges and soldering in a new wire, if only I
can get some replacement coax.

BTW, there was a Vetta HR1000 on ebay over the weekend. Someone
actually paid $32.51(US) plus shipping for it. This when brand new
SuperGo clones (with improved transmitter straps) are selling on an
ebay store for $19.90. Makes you wonder! ;-)

John Everett wrote:
> Does anyone know of a source for the extremely thin coax that's used
> to connect the reed switch and the mounting bracket on Vetta (and I
> assume other) cyclocomputers?

Many earphone/mics for cellphones use similar wire, but does it really
need to be coax? Since it's apart anyway you might try some regular
two-conductor wire.

The dollar stores seem to have plenty of surplus cell earphones.

Also, much of this fine wire is actually metallized fiber and is a
***** to solder.

John Everett wrote:
> Does anyone know of a source for the extremely thin coax that's used
> to connect the reed switch and the mounting bracket on Vetta (and I
> assume other) cyclocomputers? I have five bikes equipped with Vetta

I doubt it's coax. Pro'lly two(or however many contacts are on the back of
the unit?) 22-gauge conductors in a plastic jacket. Check Radio Shack or
your local electronics parts store and they should be able to help you out.
---
Splat

John Everett wrote:
> Does anyone know of a source for the extremely thin coax that's used
> to connect the reed switch and the mounting bracket on Vetta (and I
> assume other) cyclocomputers? I have five bikes equipped with Vetta

I doubt it's coax. Pro'lly two(or however many contacts are on the back of
the unit?) 22-gauge conductors in a plastic jacket. Check Radio Shack or
your local electronics parts store and they should be able to help you out.
---
Splat

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:02:29 GMT John Everett
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anyone know of a source for the extremely thin coax that's used
>to connect the reed switch and the mounting bracket on Vetta (and I
>assume other) cyclocomputers?

RG-174 is just a bit under 1/8" OD. Would that be small enough to be
useful?

-
Jim Adney [email protected]
Madison, WI 53711 USA

Probably thin enough is RG174 type coax from your local communications or
Ham radio store.

I presume you have some sort of junk mic or earphones or block power supply
that you can cannibalize for it.

"John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Does anyone know of a source for the extremely thin coax that's used
> to connect the reed switch and the mounting bracket on Vetta (and I
> assume other) cyclocomputers? I have five bikes equipped with Vetta
> HR1000s (or the clone SuperGo HRM1000) and I just had the wire break
> off the bracket on one of them. I'm considering grinding into the
> epoxy where the wire emerges and soldering in a new wire, if only I
> can get some replacement coax.
>
> BTW, there was a Vetta HR1000 on ebay over the weekend. Someone
> actually paid $32.51(US) plus shipping for it. This when brand new
> SuperGo clones (with improved transmitter straps) are selling on an
> ebay store for $19.90. Makes you wonder! ;-)
>

> jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

It doesn't have to be coax. Any wire will do the job, although for
neatness you could use shielded signal wire which is less bulky than
radio type co-ax.