Really Thin Coax

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by John Everett, Sep 12, 2005.

  1. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    Does anyone know of a source for the extremely thin coax that's used
    to connect the reed switch and the mounting bracket on Vetta (and I
    assume other) cyclocomputers? I have five bikes equipped with Vetta
    HR1000s (or the clone SuperGo HRM1000) and I just had the wire break
    off the bracket on one of them. I'm considering grinding into the
    epoxy where the wire emerges and soldering in a new wire, if only I
    can get some replacement coax.

    BTW, there was a Vetta HR1000 on ebay over the weekend. Someone
    actually paid $32.51(US) plus shipping for it. This when brand new
    SuperGo clones (with improved transmitter straps) are selling on an
    ebay store for $19.90. Makes you wonder! ;-)

  2. zulutime

    zulutime Guest

    John Everett wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a source for the extremely thin coax that's used
    > to connect the reed switch and the mounting bracket on Vetta (and I
    > assume other) cyclocomputers?

    Many earphone/mics for cellphones use similar wire, but does it really
    need to be coax? Since it's apart anyway you might try some regular
    two-conductor wire.

    The dollar stores seem to have plenty of surplus cell earphones.

    Also, much of this fine wire is actually metallized fiber and is a
    bitch to solder.

  3. zulutime

    zulutime Guest

    John Everett wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a source for the extremely thin coax that's used
    > to connect the reed switch and the mounting bracket on Vetta (and I
    > assume other) cyclocomputers?

    Many earphone/mics for cellphones use similar wire, but does it really
    need to be coax? Since it's apart anyway you might try some regular
    two-conductor wire.

    The dollar stores seem to have plenty of surplus cell earphones.

    Also, much of this fine wire is actually metallized fiber and is a
    bitch to solder.

  4. Splat

    Splat Guest

    John Everett wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a source for the extremely thin coax that's used
    > to connect the reed switch and the mounting bracket on Vetta (and I
    > assume other) cyclocomputers? I have five bikes equipped with Vetta

    I doubt it's coax. Pro'lly two(or however many contacts are on the back of
    the unit?) 22-gauge conductors in a plastic jacket. Check Radio Shack or
    your local electronics parts store and they should be able to help you out.
    ---
    Splat

  5. Splat

    Splat Guest

    John Everett wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a source for the extremely thin coax that's used
    > to connect the reed switch and the mounting bracket on Vetta (and I
    > assume other) cyclocomputers? I have five bikes equipped with Vetta

    I doubt it's coax. Pro'lly two(or however many contacts are on the back of
    the unit?) 22-gauge conductors in a plastic jacket. Check Radio Shack or
    your local electronics parts store and they should be able to help you out.
    ---
    Splat

  6. Jim Adney

    Jim Adney Guest

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:02:29 GMT John Everett
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anyone know of a source for the extremely thin coax that's used
    >to connect the reed switch and the mounting bracket on Vetta (and I
    >assume other) cyclocomputers?

    RG-174 is just a bit under 1/8" OD. Would that be small enough to be
    useful?

    -
    Jim Adney [email protected]
    Madison, WI 53711 USA

  7. Wannagofast

    Wannagofast Guest

    Probably thin enough is RG174 type coax from your local communications or
    Ham radio store.

    I presume you have some sort of junk mic or earphones or block power supply
    that you can cannibalize for it.

    "John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Does anyone know of a source for the extremely thin coax that's used
    > to connect the reed switch and the mounting bracket on Vetta (and I
    > assume other) cyclocomputers? I have five bikes equipped with Vetta
    > HR1000s (or the clone SuperGo HRM1000) and I just had the wire break
    > off the bracket on one of them. I'm considering grinding into the
    > epoxy where the wire emerges and soldering in a new wire, if only I
    > can get some replacement coax.
    >
    > BTW, there was a Vetta HR1000 on ebay over the weekend. Someone
    > actually paid $32.51(US) plus shipping for it. This when brand new
    > SuperGo clones (with improved transmitter straps) are selling on an
    > ebay store for $19.90. Makes you wonder! ;-)
    >

    > jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

  8. Kimba

    Kimba Guest

    It doesn't have to be coax. Any wire will do the job, although for
    neatness you could use shielded signal wire which is less bulky than
    radio type co-ax.