Rear axle problem.

Ringwood

Feb 18, 2010
Hi,
I have a Specialized Dolce Comp that is a couple years old.
I am trying to remove the rear axle, but find there are no tipical nuts there. There instead a set screw on either side going through a sleeve. I removed the set screws thinking the sleeves would come off and I could disassemble from there. However, these sleves did not move. I did not want to force them without knowing the situation.

I have always serviced my own bikes and would like to continue to do so. Could I get some advice on how these axles are held together?

Thanks all!
Ringwood

Ringwood said:
Hi,
I am trying to remove the rear axle, but find there are no tipical nuts there. There instead a set screw on either side going through a sleeve. I removed the set screws thinking the sleeves would come off and I could disassemble from there. However, these sleves did not move. I did not want to force them without knowing the situation.

I have always serviced my own bikes and would like to continue to do so. Could I get some advice on how these axles are held together?

Thanks all!
Ringwood

What sort of wheels do you have?

Did you buy the bike new? If so you can go to the dealer and ask them how to remove the rear axle. Likewise, you can call Specialized. Unfortunately the Specialized website doesn't off any manuals, exploded diagrams, and the like. Also, it's entirely possible that if you posted a picture of the rear hub, someone would recognize the hub/hub manufacturer and be able to tell you how to remove the axle. Specialized likely put their name on a hub made by someone else.

Can you get a pic of the whole hub body. The axle removal procedure can vary a lot, from loosening the set screw(s), removing an endcap, and driving the axle out, to procedures more involved.

Ringwood said:
Hi,

If you have reasonably strong hands, then see if you can simply PULL the end cap off the non-driveside of the hub ... wear a rubber glove for more traction if you want/need to ... it will either pop off or it won't ...

On hubs like the DT 240, the gasket is the only thing that is holding the non-driveside end cap in place ... and, it is pretty snug. If the end cap comes off, then you can gently tap the axle through the hub & the freehub body will slide off with the axle.

Otherwise, see if a 5mm (?) Allen wrench engages anything inside the end cap.

BTW. The hub probably uses cartridge bearings, so the only servicing you can realistically do is to replace the the bearings OR regrease the pawl mechanism.

WHAT did you want to do to the hub?

As suggested above, check & see if a 5mm allen wrench engages in the drive side end of the axle. Also, see if there aren't a couple of flat edges on the black shaft, just inside of the shiny end piece; if so, see if a 17mm (or perhaps smaller) flat cone wrench can engage those flats. If so, turn the allen wrench clockwise to loosen (as drive-side of shaft will have left-hand threads) while using the cone wrench to keep the shaft from rotating. Then unscrew & remove end nut, and pull axle out from the non-drive side. (The Specialized/Roval site has a how-to video of this procedure.) BTW, I'd replace the set screw on the non-drive side before doing any of this.

If I'm completely off base and there are no flats on which to grab with a cone wrench, then disregard all of the above......but I'll bet there are; look closely.

If all else fails, take it to your LBS and ask them to show you how to remove it; be prepared to pay for the knowledge gained. Then please share that knowledge with the rest of us.

Thanks forall the replies.
There are no flats anywhere. The inside of the axle is smooth and round, with just enough room for the skewer.
I am trying to regrease the pawl mechanism. It is very stiff.

Thanks again.
:)

Ringwood said:
Thanks forall the replies.
There are no flats anywhere. The inside of the axle is smooth and round, with just enough room for the skewer.
I am trying to regrease the pawl mechanism. It is very stiff.
Have you tried pulling the non-driveside end cap off, yet, with just your hand in a rubber glove?

When you say the pawl mechanism is stiff, is that based on spinning/turning a naked freehub body OR spinning the freehub counter-clockwise with a cassette in place?

I wanted to regrease because when I stopped peddling the gears would try to drive the chain around to the point it would force all the chain slack to the top. I removed the wheel and took off the gears leaving the free hub in place as seen in my last pictures, The axle spins freely but the cassette drags against the wheel hub. After removing the two set screws I tried pulling the caps off using brass pliers as not to damage anything. No luck.

Ringwood said:
I wanted to regrease because when I stopped peddling the gears would try to drive the chain around to the point it would force all the chain slack to the top. I removed the wheel and took off the gears leaving the free hub in place as seen in my last pictures, The axle spins freely but the cassette drags against the wheel hub. After removing the two set screws I tried pulling the caps off using brass pliers as not to damage anything. No luck.

When ya do get the freehub off...clean and OIL, not grease. Grease will make pawls stick down->bad. I use Mobil One. If it's not spinning freely, may be a dead bearing in the freehub also.