rear axle slipping

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Steve B, Mar 28, 2003.

  1. Steve B

    Steve B Guest

    hi,

    i just bought a used 1999 lemond zurich.

    i'm having problems with the rear axle slipping, especially when i put a lot of force on the drive
    side pedal.

    will a new skewer help? roughing the drop out?

    any ideas? any fixes?

    thanks!

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Steve B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > hi,
    >
    > i just bought a used 1999 lemond zurich.
    >
    > i'm having problems with the rear axle slipping, especially when i put a lot of force on the drive
    > side pedal.
    >
    > will a new skewer help? roughing the drop out?

    Ensure the axle ends do not protrude beyond the frame ends. Oil the cam in the skewer. Adjust the
    skewer such that closing it leaves an impression on your palm for a few seconds ( not a haemotoma!)
    If the problem persists, toss the skewer springs.

  3. Bike Dude

    Bike Dude Guest

    Steve B wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > i just bought a used 1999 lemond zurich.
    >
    > i'm having problems with the rear axle slipping, especially when i put a lot of force on the drive
    > side pedal.
    >
    > will a new skewer help? roughing the drop out?
    >
    > any ideas? any fixes?
    >
    > thanks!
    Steve,

    I think that this is a known issue that is caused by a combination of a very hard dropout (not by
    itself bad) and a skewer (Rolf) with too little "bite" to grab the hard drop-outs. The fix is a new
    set of skewers. Make sure that both sided are hard steel and have good "teeth", not just little
    grooves. Worst of all - aluminum nuts.

    Due to the hard dropouts, any skewer will have to fastened on the firm side of "tight".

    Bike Dude Beaverton, OR

  4. Joe Santos

    Joe Santos Guest

    I had a customer a couple of years ago with a Zurich who had the exact same problem. I swapped out
    his Rolf skewer for another Rolf skewer and the problem was solved. The customer was in a rush that
    particular day so I didn't get a chance to thouroughly investigate what was causing the problem, but
    it has always bugged me! By the time he cam ein next time hew had already thrown away the old
    skewer, so I never got a chance to look at it! His problem with slipping has never returned. Long
    story short, I would try replacing the skewer, but I can't offer any reason (other than speculation)
    as to why you are having this problem!

    Joe Santos Freewheeler Bicycle Center Davis CA 95616 www.freewheelerbikecenter.com
    (530) 758-5460

  5. Andy-<< Ensure the axle ends do not protrude beyond the frame ends. Oil the cam in the skewer.
    Adjust the skewer such that closing it leaves an impression on your palm for a few seconds ( not a
    haemotoma!) If the problem persists, toss the skewer springs.

    Great advice from Andy-also make sure the skewer springs, if ya use them, are on in the correct
    direction, that is, with the small end toward the center of the skewer on each side-