rear axle slipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve B

hi,

i just bought a used 1999 lemond zurich.

i'm having problems with the rear axle slipping, especially when i put a lot of force on the drive
side pedal.

will a new skewer help? roughing the drop out?

any ideas? any fixes?

thanks!

"Steve B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hi,
>
> i just bought a used 1999 lemond zurich.
>
> i'm having problems with the rear axle slipping, especially when i put a lot of force on the drive
> side pedal.
>
> will a new skewer help? roughing the drop out?

Ensure the axle ends do not protrude beyond the frame ends. Oil the cam in the skewer. Adjust the
skewer such that closing it leaves an impression on your palm for a few seconds ( not a haemotoma!)
If the problem persists, toss the skewer springs.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Steve B wrote:
> hi,
>
> i just bought a used 1999 lemond zurich.
>
> i'm having problems with the rear axle slipping, especially when i put a lot of force on the drive
> side pedal.
>
> will a new skewer help? roughing the drop out?
>
> any ideas? any fixes?
>
> thanks!
Steve,

I think that this is a known issue that is caused by a combination of a very hard dropout (not by
itself bad) and a skewer (Rolf) with too little "bite" to grab the hard drop-outs. The fix is a new
set of skewers. Make sure that both sided are hard steel and have good "teeth", not just little
grooves. Worst of all - aluminum nuts.

Due to the hard dropouts, any skewer will have to fastened on the firm side of "tight".

Bike Dude Beaverton, OR

I had a customer a couple of years ago with a Zurich who had the exact same problem. I swapped out
his Rolf skewer for another Rolf skewer and the problem was solved. The customer was in a rush that
particular day so I didn't get a chance to thouroughly investigate what was causing the problem, but
it has always bugged me! By the time he cam ein next time hew had already thrown away the old
skewer, so I never got a chance to look at it! His problem with slipping has never returned. Long
story short, I would try replacing the skewer, but I can't offer any reason (other than speculation)
as to why you are having this problem!

Joe Santos Freewheeler Bicycle Center Davis CA 95616 www.freewheelerbikecenter.com
(530) 758-5460

Andy-<< Ensure the axle ends do not protrude beyond the frame ends. Oil the cam in the skewer.
Adjust the skewer such that closing it leaves an impression on your palm for a few seconds ( not a
haemotoma!) If the problem persists, toss the skewer springs.

Great advice from Andy-also make sure the skewer springs, if ya use them, are on in the correct
direction, that is, with the small end toward the center of the skewer on each side-

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Status
Not open for further replies.