Rear Bike Rack help

AirsoftAddict

Oct 11, 2010
I have a Thule roof rack but my wife cant get the bikes up there in a hurry. This is fine for long trips as i do it for her. What i want is a rear mounted bike rack which she can put the kids bikes on or her own bike on for when I am not around.

Just looking for a easy to install no frills rear bike rack for short trips.
The conditions should be that it should be reasonably priced.
NOT tow bar mounted as i dont have a tow bar. (this is not an option)
NOT have to add the light plate and rewire etc.
Also i need the boot to be able to be opened. (not with the bike on the rack) but with the rack empty.

I have heard that bike rear racks dont allow you to open the boot unless its the towbar ones that tilt. BUT i assume these dont open due to the bikes being mounted But surely all rear racks would open when the bikes are off?

Advice please guys.

I purchased one of the halfords bike racks, it's a 2 cycle low level rack. The problem would have been the fact the bikes covering the lights requiring a light board.

I dismantled it & reassembled it as a high level rack, all that was required was for me to drill 2 holes for the new position of the angle support bracket.

It's ideal for me as it can be fitted & removed easy, doesn't need lightboard & I can open the tailgate/hatch (Nissan Micro) even with the bike on although it's heavy and won't stay up by itself.

They do a larger 3 bike high level rack but I believe that the lower end rests on the 'bumper' (the bit the juts out just below the bottom of the tailgate/hatch) but check it out, it may work on your car.

I don't think that you can have it both ways - either it mounts on the boot or hatch, or on the towbar. If on the boot, then it can't be opened. The Saris Bones is an excellent rear rack, but it definitely obstructs the rear access. The Bones rack goes on the back of our car in about 2 minutes, and comes off more rapidly.

Here are photos of the modified rack. The tailgate/hatch does stay open although I would trust it to be left without support.

The handle bar appears to touch the roof but is still 2" clear.

Works for me.

@
  • [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Mak'em Lad [/COLOR]
  • Thanks for the pictures. It really helps me see what you meant. Does the rack move side to side when cornering??

Thanks for the pictures. It really helps me to see what you meen. Does this rack move side to side when cornering??

I have only used it with one bike but it is a 'steady as a rock'. I took the bike with me to Scotland & kept to my normal speeds on the country roads (max 60mph /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif) with no movement.

It has been modified by the addition of a nearly horizontal bar (actually a 'Bike Hut' handlebar) bolted across the rack & fitted with velcro ties which holds the front wheel to stop it swinging and hitting the bodywork. I used to use a bungee. The bar is not level by design.

Halfords do sell additional straps which could be fitted & hooked on to the side of the tailgate to prevent any posible sideways movement (the 3 bike racks have these as standard) but with only one bike to carry I don't need them.

That's a nice single bike rack. I'd be wary of putting the weight of more than one bike on the rear window panel, but that could be over-cautious. My three-bike rack rests on the bumper bar and braces against the window.

You'd be supprised just how strong a toughend screen is, especially when it is weight pressing near to the supported edge. I'd happily carry 2 bikes on it. The curve of the screen increases it's ability to support the weight. If it were flat I would think twice about carring 2 bikes (but still would /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif). The angle of the window means that increasing the weight on the rack tends to make it slide DOWN the window rather than pressing inwards against the class so there's not as much load on the class as you would think.

I have worked on buses where it has been necessary to bend one of the side windows out of the rubber seal. We would use a strong piece of wood (hammer shaft) & force it 2" out of the frame while 1/2 to 2/3 of it's length (approx. 1 meter) remained fully in the seal. 2" bend over 12"-16" of it's length meant none of the bus mechanics would come near us. Never broke one in the 40ish we did.

I have also hit one HARD with a hammer (by accident) without even a chip. It's not the force/weight that does the damage but the area of the impact. Small and/or pointed being the worst.

To be honest I would worry more about causing damage with the lower end on the bodywork.

The 3 bike rack is a longer unit & therefore more suited for high level whereas mine was originally a low level rack designed for the lower bar to rest on the bodywork (between window & Nissan badged trim) but that way would require a light board. I'm not sure if the tailgate can be opened with the 3 bike rack, as you say, they are designed to rest on the bumper.

Airsoftaddict will have to make up his own mind based on the number of bikes he intends to carry as well as type of car he has and the rack he gets.