Rear brake bolt too short

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeff, May 18, 2003.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    The rear brake bolt on my 1997ish Shimano 105 is short - goes into the bridge does not protrude out
    the other side.

    The bridge on my 1988 Trek has a small hole - a recessed nut will not fit

    Any ideas, group? Replace the bolt? Drill the brake bridge?

    Tags:

  2. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Disregard, I found the answer. Checked the archives, found a few things including this:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_r.html#recessed

    "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The rear brake bolt on my 1997ish Shimano 105 is short - goes into the bridge does not protrude
    > out the other side.
    >
    > The bridge on my 1988 Trek has a small hole - a recessed nut will not fit
    >
    > Any ideas, group? Replace the bolt? Drill the brake bridge?

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

  4. In article <[email protected]>, Jeff <[email protected]> wrote:
    >The rear brake bolt on my 1997ish Shimano 105 is short - goes into the bridge does not protrude out
    >the other side.
    >
    >The bridge on my 1988 Trek has a small hole - a recessed nut will not fit
    >
    >Any ideas, group? Replace the bolt? Drill the brake bridge?

    I assume your fork is drilled for recessed style, a lot of Treks were recessed on front and nutted
    on back. If true, get a long recessed brake nut and use it to mount the rear brake on the front.
    Put the front brake on the back with a nut. I got my long recessed nut from icyclesusa.com, I think
    it was $4-5.

    --Paul

  5. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Paul has the answer I like!

    The Trek's front is drilled for recessed nuts, rear is not. I like Paul's suggestion, get a long nut
    for the front, swap calipers back-for-front.

    Checked icyclesusa.com and loosescrews.com, both have promising stuff.

    icyclesusa.com (they say bolt, it's really a nut) 23mm titanium brake bolt 30mm aluminum brake bolt

    loosescrews.com 22mm steel nut

    "Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Jeff <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >The rear brake bolt on my 1997ish Shimano 105 is short - goes into the bridge does not protrude
    > >out the other side.
    > >
    > >The bridge on my 1988 Trek has a small hole - a recessed nut will not fit
    > >
    > >Any ideas, group? Replace the bolt? Drill the brake bridge?
    >
    > I assume your fork is drilled for recessed style, a lot of Treks were recessed on front and nutted
    > on back. If true, get a long recessed brake nut and use it to mount the rear brake on the front.
    > Put the front brake on the back with a nut. I got my long recessed nut from icyclesusa.com, I
    > think it was $4-5.
    >
    > --Paul

  6. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >I assume your fork is drilled for recessed style, a lot of Treks were recessed on front and nutted
    >on back. If true, get a long recessed brake nut and use it to mount the rear brake on the front.
    >Put the front brake on the back with a nut. I got my long recessed nut from icyclesusa.com, I think
    >it was $4-5.
    >
    >--Paul

    I have done this with apparent success. When buying new brakes for an older frame like this, I
    suggest buying two front brakes.

    jon