Rear brake bolt too short

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff

The rear brake bolt on my 1997ish Shimano 105 is short - goes into the bridge does not protrude out
the other side.

The bridge on my 1988 Trek has a small hole - a recessed nut will not fit

Any ideas, group? Replace the bolt? Drill the brake bridge?

Disregard, I found the answer. Checked the archives, found a few things including this:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_r.html#recessed

"Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> The rear brake bolt on my 1997ish Shimano 105 is short - goes into the bridge does not protrude
> out the other side.
>
> The bridge on my 1988 Trek has a small hole - a recessed nut will not fit
>
> Any ideas, group? Replace the bolt? Drill the brake bridge?

In article <[email protected]>, Jeff <[email protected]> wrote:
>The rear brake bolt on my 1997ish Shimano 105 is short - goes into the bridge does not protrude out
>the other side.
>
>The bridge on my 1988 Trek has a small hole - a recessed nut will not fit
>
>Any ideas, group? Replace the bolt? Drill the brake bridge?

I assume your fork is drilled for recessed style, a lot of Treks were recessed on front and nutted
on back. If true, get a long recessed brake nut and use it to mount the rear brake on the front.
Put the front brake on the back with a nut. I got my long recessed nut from icyclesusa.com, I think
it was $4-5.

--Paul

Paul has the answer I like!

The Trek's front is drilled for recessed nuts, rear is not. I like Paul's suggestion, get a long nut
for the front, swap calipers back-for-front.

Checked icyclesusa.com and loosescrews.com, both have promising stuff.

icyclesusa.com (they say bolt, it's really a nut) 23mm titanium brake bolt 30mm aluminum brake bolt

loosescrews.com 22mm steel nut

"Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jeff <[email protected]> wrote:
> >The rear brake bolt on my 1997ish Shimano 105 is short - goes into the bridge does not protrude
> >out the other side.
> >
> >The bridge on my 1988 Trek has a small hole - a recessed nut will not fit
> >
> >Any ideas, group? Replace the bolt? Drill the brake bridge?
>
> I assume your fork is drilled for recessed style, a lot of Treks were recessed on front and nutted
> on back. If true, get a long recessed brake nut and use it to mount the rear brake on the front.
> Put the front brake on the back with a nut. I got my long recessed nut from icyclesusa.com, I
> think it was $4-5.
>
> --Paul

>I assume your fork is drilled for recessed style, a lot of Treks were recessed on front and nutted
>on back. If true, get a long recessed brake nut and use it to mount the rear brake on the front.
>Put the front brake on the back with a nut. I got my long recessed nut from icyclesusa.com, I think
>it was $4-5.
>
>--Paul

I have done this with apparent success. When buying new brakes for an older frame like this, I
suggest buying two front brakes.

jon

Status
Not open for further replies.