Rear brake help

kordon

Jul 23, 2007
Just had LBS put on new Mavic Open Sport rims yesterday, test ride was fine. Today rear brake won't grab. The adjustment is fine and front grabs perfectly. Any ideas?

kordon said:
Just had LBS put on new Mavic Open Sport rims yesterday, test ride was fine. Today rear brake won't grab. The adjustment is fine and front grabs perfectly. Any ideas?

Did you put your quick release down? Happened to me once...

The cable is not pulled tight enough or is binding in the cable housing. Remove the cable and pull it completely out of the housing. Take a can of teflon spray lube that has one of the little spray tubes and spay it into the end of each of the housings. Reinstall the brake cable and make sure that it is pulled tight prior to attaching it to the brake and adjusting it.

There is one other thing that you might want to check first, make sure that all of the cable housings are seated in their respective receptacles. If they are not properly seated, you will get the symptoms that you are describing.

Issue solved. Evidently the new rims are oh so much thinner (very tiny amount). The rear pads were just a little more worn than the front so the brake levers (?) bottomed out before the pad and didn't pull out the piston on the non cable side. A little more wear and the front would have lost full stopping power also. I have 150 miles on this bike and the pads were that wore, hmm? The mechanic put the same type of pad back on in a better brand. Thanks for all the input gang.

I treat bikes like cars, when i put on a new wheelset (rotors on a car), i put on new pads too. Unless your other pads were barely broken in, its a good idea. But thats just me :)

Glad you got it fixed at least so you can ride safely again :)