Rear brake help

kordon

Jul 23, 2007
Just had LBS put on new Mavic Open Sport rims yesterday, test ride was fine. Today rear brake won't grab. The adjustment is fine and front grabs perfectly. Any ideas?

kordon said:
Just had LBS put on new Mavic Open Sport rims yesterday, test ride was fine. Today rear brake won't grab. The adjustment is fine and front grabs perfectly. Any ideas?
Probably some grease or oil on the rims, brake shoes or both. Clean both with some degreaser and see if it is better.

John M said:
Probably some grease or oil on the rims, brake shoes or both. Clean both with some degreaser and see if it is better.
Thats what I thought so I cleaned the rim and the pads, lightly sanded the pads and cleaned the rim with some light steel wool just to make sure, no go. The caliper is closing properly but I can easily pull the rim through the brake. The front is fine.

Check to see if the brake quick release is engaged or not. Then check the brake cable tension.

Borrow a friends caliper and see if that works. If it does then its time to replace the old one.