rear brake rub

Jim F

Guest
I can't figure it out. My Ultegra rear brake on my Raleigh wet weather road
bike rubs the rim no matter what. It's rubbing on the non-drive side, the
same side the cable runs on. I have tried:
tightening the holding bolt really tightly
cleaning the whole thing and reinstalling
switching one of the washers on the axle to the other side
adding washers to the holding bolts
replacing the brake cable
shortening the brake cable housing
I even tried duct tape.

What gives?

--
JF

"Here comes the lightening and here comes the thunder. Ride on the storm and
take it to the sea. "
- Jim Hunter

JF writes

>I can't figure it out. My Ultegra rear brake on
>my Raleigh wet weather road bike rubs the rim no
>matter what. It's rubbing on the non-drive side, the same
>side the cable runs on. I have tried:
>tightening the holding bolt really tightly cleaning the whole thing
>and reinstalling switching one of the washers on the axle
>to the other side adding washers to the holding bolts
>replacing the brake cable
>shortening the brake cable housing
>I even tried duct tape.
>What gives?

...no mention of trouble-shooting the brake lever...just curious.

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

Jim F said:
I can't figure it out. My Ultegra rear brake on my Raleigh wet weather road
bike rubs the rim no matter what. It's rubbing on the non-drive side, the
same side the cable runs on. I have tried:
tightening the holding bolt really tightly
cleaning the whole thing and reinstalling
switching one of the washers on the axle to the other side
adding washers to the holding bolts
replacing the brake cable
shortening the brake cable housing
I even tried duct tape.

What gives?

--
JF

"Here comes the lightening and here comes the thunder. Ride on the storm and
take it to the sea. "
- Jim Hunter
Try the arch spring tension adjustment... and maybe you will need to recenter the arms as well.

http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/8DD0A-001_BR-6600/8DD0A-001_BR-6600-EN_v1_m56577569830615949.pdf

On Feb 29, 8:28 pm, daveornee <daveornee.35k...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Jim F Wrote:
>
> > I can't figure it out. My Ultegra rear brake on my Raleigh wet weather
> > road
> > bike rubs the rim no matter what. It's rubbing on the non-drive side,
> > the
> > same side the cable runs on. I have tried:
> > tightening the holding bolt really tightly
> > cleaning the whole thing and reinstalling
> > switching one of the washers on the axle to the other side
> > adding washers to the holding bolts
> > replacing the brake cable
> > shortening the brake cable housing
> > I even tried duct tape.

> > What gives?

> > --
> > JF

> > "Here comes the lightening and here comes the thunder. Ride on the
> > storm and
> > take it to the sea. "
> > - Jim Hunter

> Try the arch spring tension adjustment... and maybe you will need to
> recenter the arms as well.
>
> http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/8DD0A-001_BR-...
>
> --
> daveornee

I had the same issue with an old Trek of mine. The problem for my
bike was the axle/brake bridge drilling interface was a hair loose, so
it wandered no matter how I tightened and adjusted. I solved the
problem with: 1) a slightly larger (hex key) nut which fit the recess
more tightly; 2) a star washer on the flat side of the brake bridge;
3) and a homemade thin plastic sleeve wrapped around the axle. I don't
know if your bike has the same problem, but I would definitely check.

Michael Baldwin wrote:
> JF writes
>
>> I can't figure it out. My Ultegra rear brake on
>> my Raleigh wet weather road bike rubs the rim no
>> matter what. It's rubbing on the non-drive side, the same
>> side the cable runs on. I have tried:
>> tightening the holding bolt really tightly cleaning the whole thing
>> and reinstalling switching one of the washers on the axle
>> to the other side adding washers to the holding bolts
>> replacing the brake cable
>> shortening the brake cable housing
>> I even tried duct tape.
>> What gives?

> ..no mention of trouble-shooting the brake lever...just curious.
>
> Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

i'd start with adjusting the spring adjusting screw which centers the brake!

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

"icebike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Feb 29, 8:28 pm, daveornee <daveornee.35k...@no-
> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
>> Jim F Wrote:
>>
>> > I can't figure it out. My Ultegra rear brake on my Raleigh wet weather
>> > road
>> > bike rubs the rim no matter what. It's rubbing on the non-drive side,
>> > the
>> > same side the cable runs on. I have tried:
>> > tightening the holding bolt really tightly
>> > cleaning the whole thing and reinstalling
>> > switching one of the washers on the axle to the other side
>> > adding washers to the holding bolts
>> > replacing the brake cable
>> > shortening the brake cable housing
>> > I even tried duct tape.

>> > What gives?

>> > --
>> > JF

>> > "Here comes the lightening and here comes the thunder. Ride on the
>> > storm and
>> > take it to the sea. "
>> > - Jim Hunter

>> Try the arch spring tension adjustment... and maybe you will need to
>> recenter the arms as well.
>>
>> http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/8DD0A-001_BR-...
>>
>> --
>> daveornee

> I had the same issue with an old Trek of mine. The problem for my
> bike was the axle/brake bridge drilling interface was a hair loose, so
> it wandered no matter how I tightened and adjusted. I solved the
> problem with: 1) a slightly larger (hex key) nut which fit the recess
> more tightly; 2) a star washer on the flat side of the brake bridge;
> 3) and a homemade thin plastic sleeve wrapped around the axle. I don't
> know if your bike has the same problem, but I would definitely check.

This is annoying. Thanks for the BR-6600 pdf Tech instructions, though
daveornee. Very helpful. Unfortunately I am not much better off. I
cleaned and reinstalled the brake, along with fresh cable. I replaced the
washer on the brake side with a star washer and I thought that would do it.
Not quite. No. I should've thought of adjusting the centering adjustment
bolt but it hasn't resolved it either.

I don't think I can fit a larger hex nut. What would a thin plastic sleeve
wrapped around the axle do?

Thanks.