Rear camera mount advice please

Fred Sieber

Dec 25, 2020
Hey everyone! I hope you all had a Merry Christmas. I am new to the site. I need some advice. I have a Topeak rear bag that does great. However, I need to mount a GoPro for safety reasons. I commute in Japan and traffic is dangerous. I have been hit before and, like most, it was a hit and run. The police will not do a thing unless you can prove who hit you. With the bag, there is no place to mount the GoPro. The bag blocks any mount on the rear of the seat. Does anyone have any suggestions.

000mount.JPG
Hey everyone! I hope you all had a Merry Christmas. I am new to the site. I need some advice. I have a Topeak rear bag that does great. However, I need to mount a GoPro for safety reasons. I commute in Japan and traffic is dangerous. I have been hit before and, like most, it was a hit and run. The police will not do a thing unless you can prove who hit you. With the bag, there is no place to mount the GoPro. The bag blocks any mount on the rear of the seat. Does anyone have any suggestions.

I have bought several of these mounts in blue and black. I use them on the handle bars to mount my headlights.

But they will fit on the seatpost, sometimes I glue a rubber strip inside to fit slightly smaller bars/posts.

But 2 for $7 !!!! On the seat post you will need an extension, vertical to horizontal to se the recorder in the proper position.

You would be able to get the recorder all the way down to the top of the seat tube. With a slightly smaller seat bag, it would be able to get the rear view just fine.

Or you could get a 2 inch or more extension to mount on this mount. I have several of those as well. I have bought plenty of this stuff off ebay at cheap prices. The alum screws as well ( I carry the thin wrench available in my seat bag as they secure pretty well).

This is a good store that ships the blue mount FAST. I have bought several of these mounts ( I don't see the black option any longer). But as on any ebay store, look for the fast shipping and pay attention to estimated shipping dates. Also, any product coming from China will take for ever to arrive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-31-...396625?hash=item4b7aa84a51:g:~yUAAOSwl5hfNcCo

These are the extensions I bought, slightly longer shipping time but one can find similar product with faster shipping on ebay or similar product.

These are alum as well, 3 pcs. 2 inch(?) 1/4 longer and then another 1/4 longer in length. I forget the exact lengths of each.

I did file the inside of these a bit for a better fit as they seemed a bit tight fitting. easy to do.
000extension.JPG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-Bi...830532?hash=item59278fe304:g:rSYAAOSwBG1cvq1z

If you have a go pro, you may have this little piece already to convert from horizontal to vertical vice versa. This one is plastic I believe. I took some time and found alum pcs for myself though at real great prices. One was about $3 for the alum version of this one piece, just need to search.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOZ-TZN-S0...753867?hash=item4b5c84cb4b:g:46IAAOSwQ-JehMeM

This is the pc you would need to change the direction with the mount I posted above, the blue one. The one circled is the needed one. The other one keeps it in the same direction but is a good one to have as well.

I found all this stuff in alum on ebay, cheap prices and fast shipping (not fast shipping from China, I skip China sellers).

But it's all cool stuff and much of it can be found in various colors.

000convert.JPG

I also found this mount. Rotating barrel but it fits on the seatpost. Vibrates a bit too much for my taste though.

Capture2.JPG

This unit would have the little converstion extension you would need to change direction. 3 pcs, a score.

000conversblue.JPG